Range targets - show them off!

I guess it had to happen one day. The first time I ever dropped a firearm was a couple weeks ago. It was my Sig P938, fully loaded including one in the chamber, and on concrete. All drop safety features worked as there was no bang!

I picked up, unloaded it and examined for damage. I thankfully couldn’t find any, but did notice the factory installed front sight was to the left of center. So now I’m thinking; has it always been this way, or did the sight get knocked out of place when it hit? So, I quit carrying it until I took it to the range last week to figure it out.

I took my sight pusher, blue painter’s tape, calipers, etc. with me just in case it needed to be moved. I had thought about pushing it back to center before I shot it, but fortunately did not. I got the RO at the steel target shooting gallery to take the range cold and put a paper target up for me. I put the pistol on a rifle shooting rest, aimed, and fired. The shot hit almost dead center! I shot another – right beside the first one! OK, I’m going to shoot a third one just for good measure. I pulled the trigger and my left thumb quickly reported it was behind the slide! Yet another first for me! Here’s a photo of the paper target:

They have a rail with six probably 8” steel plates mounted in a row 11 yards from the bench. Six shots, six targets down! No timer, but I am certain less than 6 seconds. A little bigger targets are at either 25 or 30 yards out. I was able to pound them with the little 3” barrel pistol – if I took my time  This is a stock photo of the plates, back when they had paint on them, that was quite a few years ago …

10 Likes