January Target Competition

Thank you to those who participated in the December Target Competition. Watch your snail mail for a little something from me :wink:

@Sully_LST suggested this target for January:

• Anywhere is the box is a hit.
  • 15 rounds from various distances: 6 yards, 12 yards, and 25 yards.
  • No time limit unless the shooter has a red dot on pistol (then 15 seconds)
  • From draw or low-ready.
  • Start at the longest distance and come in.

Focus on grouping and placement.

Print on 8.5 x 11 paper.

(Right click on the picture, then click copy. Paste it in any program youā€™d like Word, Google Docs, Powerpoint, Google Slides ā€“ just make sure itā€™s a vertical page, not horizontal.)

Thereā€™s no scoring for this one.

7 Likes

:grimacing: :face_with_monocle: :scream:
Can we do 6ā€¦12ā€¦25ā€¦ FEET ? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3 Likes

You can do whatever you think you need. The test is really to give yourself a true check of abilities.

This from Chris Lapre, a LEO in Arizona I met when my boss and I went shooting out there with my pal Larry Vickers and the Great One, Rob Leatham. (And something like 20 boarder patrol guys).

Start with yards instead of feet, and go slow. Get you shots on target. One miss is allowed. Two misses is a fail. But better to fail and learn, which is the real point of it.

I have yet to pass it totally clean with under 10 seconds for each stage. But donā€™t worry about that.

Things to think about during the drill;

1. Good site alignment and picture.
  2. Get to the wall and pull through without moving the gun.
    Again PULL THRU the wall WITHOUT MOVING THE GUN.

Iā€™ve learned a ton about my mechanics with this simple drill.

1 Like

@Sully_LST, yards are OK with meā€¦ close to meters :love_you_gesture: Iā€™m European / Metric guy :wink:
I did warm up yesterday and practiced shots at 25 yards ā€¦ did exactly what you wrote: point 1, point 2.
After few minutes results were amazing. Hopefully in few days Iā€™ll be ready to go with all 3 distances. :+1:

1 Like

There is a time associated with iron sights. I allotted an extra 5 seconds if using irons. These time apply only if shooting from the holster at each position.

If shooting it at a continued pace( 1 draw on 3 targets pre set at the distances) than itā€™s sub 10 seconds with a RDS and sub 12 seconds with iron sights .

Thanks and enjoy.
Chris Lapre

2 Likes

What? You donā€™t like a challenge, @Jerzees? :smile: I copied it directly from what @Sully_LST sent me.

Thanks for the clarification, @Chris69! Welcome to the USCCA Community!

1 Like

@Chris69 is a great shooter! @Dawn you should check out his IG Page ā€“ I filmed him beating Larry Vickers on a dueling tree ONE HANDED!

1 Like

@Dawnā€¦ I do love a challenge :hugs:
However this one is a HUGE step from 10 feet to 25 yards :crazy_face:
But itā€™s OK with meā€¦ Iā€™ve been challenging myself whole life.
Nothing is easy on this Worldā€¦ until you make it easy :wink:

You got it, @Jerzey! Thereā€™s no points on this one - strictly for training. :smiley:

1 Like

and I feel to be addicted to this oneā€¦ so far 13 inside the box, 2 outside, however within 8x11 paperā€¦ :wink:

Thanks Dawn! I appreciate it.

Any idea how to change my name on this?? I donā€™t know how I would end up with it, but Iā€™d like to change it if possible.

Thanks!

How do you find his IG page?

https://www.instagram.com/p/B6HLnp9J8qXlh0uhgNLH_lOOru-7t6s7O22nf00/?igshid=q9kfe20cny53

That link doesnā€™t work!

@Stan try https://www.instagram.com/asymmetricoptions/

Just to confirmā€¦ Iā€™m supposed to print out the feet and arrow and shoot at 3 different distances? Whatā€™s all this ā€œboxā€ talk? Iā€™m not seeing a box.
Edit, I just found the box 5 seconds after typing this. Still not sure what to think about the feet thoughā€¦

3 Likes

The symbol is from my company. The feet represent my background as a tracker and tracking instructor for almost 20 years.

2 Likes

Thank you for following up.

Sure, that makes more sense than it being some random target.