January Target Competition

Had a humbling time at the range today. In my defense… I was aiming top left of inside of box with Glock 29@ 7 yards. Also, I just got the Glock 27 yesterday, first box of both calibers shot through it today. After missing all .357 sig shots @ 25 yards, I switched to the .40 barrel to try and trouble shoot. I hit the target hanger @ 12 yards and splattered the bullet pretty good. Target was useless in that orientations after that, so I flipped it. I think I’m shooting high on the .357 sig with distance. I came to that conclusion late and as luck would have it, range has no .357 sig ammo, so I only had the one box. Who woulda thought…Lessons learned: I’m pulling left on the G29, 1 box into .357 sig and it might be the funnest round for me. The Winchester white box .357 sig is about the same loudness, maybe louder, as hot Underwood 10mm.

2 Likes

After shooting at 25yards, I brought the target in so I could mark it (circled with marker). I hit 4/5 at 25yards, the 5th was off the paper so not quite sure where it landed. The rest are grouped pretty closely from 12 & 6 yards so I didn’t bother marking them. I can’t tell if it’s me pulling a little left or if the sights need to be drifted over just a skootch.

The notable thing for me is at 25 yards I really took my time, but 12 yards was pretty quick, and 6 yards even faster.

All rounds with a G19. If I make it to the range again this month, I’d actually like to run once with pistol and once with a rifle to see if I can either be more accurate (especially at 25yards) or faster.

3 Likes

Where is your finger on the trigger, @Harvey? If your finger is off-center it could be causing a push (to the left or right depending on the position.

Pretend there’s a firearm in my hand in the picture below and my finger is on the trigger (yes, it’s aimed in a safe direction). The red arrows point to bad trigger positions and the green arrow points to a good trigger position on the finger:

My thumb is in the wrong position, but remember, we’re pretending here.

If this is something you already know, please excuse the explanation. Those who are newer to firearms might not know. I have corrected a number of shooters on their trigger finger placement and have seen their shooting improve dramatically from such a little change.

3 Likes

Here is my submission. I was all over the place at 25 yards…Is that shot at the lower left considered a fail?

Anyway, it was fun.

5 Likes

@Brian1 Good for you, though! I see patterns in the misses, do you? Did your grip break down after a few shots?

I like to work on left-right accuracy first then worry about up-down.

1 Like

@Stan That’s a very good target. The best shooters in the world have trouble passing this. Great job! I see a solid group with a few fliers. You should be proud of the.

You’re ready to speed up!

1 Like

Really impressive!

1 Like

I was pulling left. Lots of dry firing going on this week. I’m going back for redemption this weekend. You see something more than my generic “pulling left”?

I spent all my time shooting the Sig that I forget how to shoot a glock :rofl:

1 Like

Totally get this. My boss and struggle with this because we shoot such a variety of pistols.

1 Like

I wish I had a working printer to print this target

@John150, you don’t need printer. You can draw it by yourself on 8.5 x 11 (Letter size) paper.

Hmmm… :thinking: weird… 1.5 + 6 + 1.5 = 8.5 ??? :yum: :crazy_face:

1 Like

Now I have a distance for the margin. That I can draw, didn’t know margin

1 Like

I try to keep the trigger on the pad (where the green arrow is). It varies a bit from firearm to firearm tho, (single vs double-stack, pistol vs rifle, etc). If I concentrate really hard, usually the first shot is dead center. It is subsequent shots where things start to wander to the left, so I’m not sure if the pad has moved or if I’m pulling/jerking. I need to focus a bit more on what my hand is doing.

Complicating things further it is this particular firearm came with a cheapo red dot and one of those mounts that goes in the rear sight notch. I trusted neither the red dot nor the mount so I took it off and replaced with Trijicon night sights which I installed myself :smiley: When I first put them on, they were definitely off center, so I drifted them a bit right (I think) to move POI towards the center. So I am pretty sure they are aligned center, but not 100% sure since I am not a professional :smiley:

No worries at all! I’ll take all the help I can get

1 Like

Look for sighting targets, they will help you make sure the sights are where they should be. Or have a gunsmith look at it. I’ve recently learned how to sight in an AR. That was fun, challenging, but fun!

You can find these on Amazon:

If you’re still off, I would suggest finding an instructor for a quick analysis of your grip. They may be able to see something off pretty quickly.

I had a good question from @Stan about term we use like “wall” and “pull through.”
Much of instructing is explaining things in a variety of ways. I made a quick video for Stan about it using a Glock cutaway pistol. I don’t know if the USCCA (maybe @Zee or @Dawn knows where to find them) has videos like this, but there are numerous ones on YouTube. We all basically say the same thing but sometimes with different words.

Happy to make these specific explainer videos for us here – let me know.

1 Like

You can buy them that way, @Sully_LST (GLOCK Inc. | GLOCK Pistols | Buy Guns Online):

GLOCK cutaway models are produced for technical and firearms’ training and clearly illustrate the ingeniously simple internal mechanisms of the GLOCK pistol.

I am far from a Glock expert - anyone else have any knowledge about their cut away slides?

1 Like

Oh I meant the videos, not the cutaway - is there a place where there are short 2-3 minute videos on instruction?

1 Like

Thank you very much!

1 Like

Shot with irons from a draw. Mad at myself for shanking one at 25yds. I also shot 1 at 15 accidentally and then realized it was 12 so I switched over. Marked that one as such. Constructive criticisms or pointers?

3 Likes

What gun was used?

1 Like