Pepper spray/gel suggestions?

If you choose pepper spray go liquid gel sucks as the attacker can wipe it off and throw it at you to. Remember to always be aware of the wind when using oc spray. My advice to you if you want to try it on yourself spray some on a q tip and blot it around your eyes. It will give you a idea how it feels. Also go with one over 5% the reason is 5% is not strong enough for some people I pack 20% fox. Amazing stuff feels like hell

1 Like

Just a thought, devilā€™s advocate here. In my best prosecutor/attorney filing civil suit voice, ā€œWhy did you shoot the accused/my client when you had a less than lethal alternative?ā€

1 Like

Because you donā€™t meet lethal force with less than lethal force.

While your heart is in the right place your perception is misguided. If youā€™re in a situation where lethal force is appropriate then whatever else you have with you is irrelevant.

2 Likes

Just something to think about, I donā€™t carry OC these days. Just more than I want to keep up with. Iā€™ve been on some forums, and Facebook, where guys sing their own praises about carrying OC, a taser and an expandable baton as part of their EDC. Kinda cracks me up.

1 Like

Great point, @JKetchem. And great response, @Spence!

In any self-defense incident, if you can articulate why you did what you did it goes a long way toward helping your legal defense.

1 Like

Normally Iā€™m all about redundancies, but i wouldnā€™t carry that much either. My sidearm, OC spray, a flashlight and a pocket folder are plenty for me. Also batons are illegal for non-LEOs in Michigan.

2 Likes

I agree with all yā€™all Iā€™d rather just have my hand gun and maybe a flash light or knife in me. The knife I carry in the event of an auto accident to cut people out of seat belts

2 Likes

Please used distilled or boiled water with your neti pot.

I could list more and more so please be safe about using one.

3 Likes

20190812_083319

In areas that carrying a firearm is not permitted. We used to carry the Kimber Pepperblaster. 2 shots and accurate up to 20ft in high wind. We almost had to use it a few times in our line of work at the time. Easily carried and noticeable that it is not a firearm (we have the red frame) in case the police are on the scene.
If a perp is close enough when in use, the pressure if the blast can inflict a paralyzing injury to the eyes.

2 Likes

I use bottled waterā€¦ not tap. Tap is disgusting.

1 Like

Oh so no! I had been thinking about trying a Neti pot for my allergies, but nope, Iā€™m good. Wonā€™t be doing that any time soon.

1 Like

@Dawn I use one. Just have to use distilled water or boil the water and you will be fine.

1 Like

Haha I went through the same Academy. They had the Gas House. You went in one door. Your in the dark. You have to work your way through a partition maze to get to the other door. Guys were puking, some hyperventilating , noses running, all had teared up blurred eyes that burned like hell. Good times. No safe spaces back then.

2 Likes

Pepper spray certainly spared my knuckles.

1 Like

@Dawn while neti pots are good. I think this is one better Navage Again, safer to use purified or distilled water. At least with this device, you donā€™t have to tilt the world sideways to operate!

1 Like

I came here to get educated on pepper sprays, but since the conversation has changed to sinus rinses I have to throw my 2 cents in.

I have been using a WaterPik with a nasal irrigation attachment similar to this one for roughly 20 years.

I mix up 600ml of warm water with 1/2 a spoon of baking soda and a full spoon of Kosher salt (Morton coarse for me). Put the irrigator in one nostril, turn on the WaterPik and let the fun begin! Run half of it one direction and the other half the opposite direction (left & right nostril).

Warning: What I am about to disclose is not recommended by doctors, nor am I recommending anyone try this, but if I am suffering from a sinus infection I add a capful of Hydrogen Peroxide to the mix. I will do this once a day for 1 - 3 days in row - no more sinus infection and no risk from antibiotics. A fluoroquinolone, Levaquin, crippled me for about 3 years. I went from running 20+ miles per week to unable to run 1/4 mile after 5 pills. FYI: The most common side effect is death or ruptured Achilles tendon.

edit: If interested do a search on Levaquin Black Box Warning

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been doing some research on pepper spray (youtube + web articles). I have seen 4-5 "how to use " videos. The presenter is pointing at a stationary target & sprays a few short bursts. Once the shots are made the presenter leaves the impression that the threat is neutralized for a long period of time. However, in other videos Iā€™ve seen that the attacker may not feel the affects of the spray for 30-60 seconds. One can do a lot of damage in 30-60 seconds. In one dash cam video, a police officer sprays someone with pepper and walks away. A few seconds later the bad guy shot the officer and killed him.

Some questions I would like to ask of the Community, those who have used pepper spray

-Those who tout pepper spray say that it is a great option for those times when you need something less than lethal. Who out there has used pepper spray and what were the circumstances?
-If you use pepper spray in a ā€œnon-lethalā€ situation, could it so enrage the sprayee that you then have to use lethal force.? I could see a witness in court state that ā€œGee, the guys were just having an animated discussion before Mr. Jones sprayed Mr. Smith. Then Mr. Smith was in fear for his life andā€¦ā€

• In all the demos, the presenter shoots the attacker in the face. Has anyone thought of spraying the attacker in the crotch? Lots of very sensitive skin down there. That stuff is absorbed into the fabric and the only way to get rid of it is to shed pants and underwear. Not a good option for a bad guy.
    -Looking at the other side of the coin, what if someone is attacking you with a pepper spray. How do you defend against it? I saw a laughable video where the presenter said you grab the hand of the sprayer, get pepper spray on your hands, they wipe your hands on the sprayerā€™s faceā€“like the sprayer is going to hold the spray still for you.to grab.
    -Those that carry the spray canister in a pants pocket, have there been any leaks? Can the safety switch be moved to a firing position from rubbing against keys, pocket knife, loose change, etc? Or has it ever leaked when carried in a purse or backpack?
    -In all of the literature Iā€™ve read about deploying handguns, the mantra has been ā€œBe the first to call 911 whenever you had to draw a gunā€. I imagine that is also true for pepper spray, taser, stun gun, or baton, Anybody else find that to be true?

Anyway, I would appreciate hearing from people with real-life experience with using pepper spray.

1 Like

The purpose of OC/Pepper Spray is to try to temporarily blind an aggressor. Spraying someone in the crotch is very likely to get you charged with some sort of sexual assault.

Yes, you should always be the first to call police. Otherwise you will likely end up being treated as the aggressor.

1 Like

Ordered 12 Fox 5.3 cone spray yesterday. 3 year replacement cycles are recommended. The canisters are dated. One for each room & vehicle. Will use the outdated ones for practice outside in the woodsā€¦w/safety glasses!

1 Like

Please always train on every detail, ask police officers where you may educate on proper usage, and take time to practice always. 12 to 15 feet may sound like a easy way to go, but do not take that chance.

2 Likes