Pepper spray/gel suggestions?

I appreciate all the opinions expressed here, but how many people have actually used pepper spray in a defensive situation and what was the outcome? Did it work? For how long was the attacker disabled or did he continue to press the attack? Did you immediately call 911 for assistance? What response did you get? In all the USCCA writings I heard of only one case where an individual used pepper spray. He used it to repel a road rage attack but was arrested for assault. Judge threw out the case because the attacker got out of his car. However the USCCA paid a lot in lawyer fees to get the case tossed

3 Likes

They no longer make it anymore, but I carry Inferno spray by Cold Steel. It combines finally ground black pepper with red hot chili :hot_pepper: pepper extract. The black pepper activates the sneeze reflex which makes the mucous membranes take in more of the OC concentrate. Lynn Thompson the founder of cold steel was sprayed with it and said getting sprayed with it is like getting hit by a blowtorch. Even the name alone is intimidating. Check all local laws regarding size restrictions but as long as pepper spray is legal to carry have it at the ready at all times. Do not leave it buried in a purse or pocket because you will not be able to get too it if you need it.

1 Like

In a defensive situation, no. I hope to never need to draw it or a firearm. Stillā€¦

The new canisters came in the other day. We now have six of the 2014 date coded 2 oz canisters of Fox 5.3 cone spray to practice with in the yard. So, we did.

The spray was quite interesting. One has to hold it down to get a good shot. No squirt, squirt, squirt. It sprayed further than expected and cut a wide area of a few feet. It would be difficult to miss a bad guy. Also, we stood upwind and moved out of the way of any drifting material, or so we thought. Even without being able to see the residual spray in the air, it drifted for quite a while and we both felt the effects, especially sneezing and the feeling of heat in our sinuses and mouth/throat. My feeling is that it is an excellent way to buy some time, not have to deal with court cases from killing a guy, and to get to a safeĀ® place to call authorities. I would not want to be on the receiving end of a direct spray of it (even the ones I used which were nearly 6 years old and 3 years past their suggested use date). Definitely worth it for under $20/canister delivered.

2 Likes

Hey guys keep in mind the gels donā€™t seem to work as quickly according to many people. They are nicer as they donā€™t go as airborne but you have to have pretty much direct hits.

1 Like

I used pepper spray several times as a deputy sheriff. Always worked for me. Most dropped to their knees with their hands rubbing their eyes and screaming. It took their vision, allowing me to handcuff them. No residual damage after flushing their face with water. Just my experience for what itā€™s worth.

3 Likes

Thanks so very much for the reply. I was beginning to wonder if anyone really used.

Mike

1 Like

Sadly, the people you would be using pepper spray on today are so used to it that it barely phases them.

Sabre Red is an awesome brand

1 Like

The theory of evolution at play? The species adapted to pepper spray?