On body or off body while driving in the car

There is a lot to factor in this one. Body type, carry position, and vehicle limitations to name a few. How do you handle this dilemma while carrying in the car?

4 Likes

Off body using the Wilderness Tactical Safe packer. Or, AIWB depending upon circumstances.

Stay safe out there.

6 Likes

On body. If there might be trouble, I can access it with my seatbelt off. Also, if there was a need to “abandon ship” it’s already in the holster on my hip.

13 Likes

Since I carry under my off arm, access from any seated position is just as easy as almost any other.

7 Likes

Off body in a holster under my steering wheel. Easy to get to if I need it and no fumbling around a seatbelt.

7 Likes

Off body in a holster under the steering wheel.

The seatbelt gets in the way of my normal carry position at 3:30-4:00.

7 Likes

It depends. If it is just a commute, firearm stays on my hip.

If there is any significant distance, more than an hour or so, the IWB holstered weapon gets slid between my seat and console.

9 Likes

Most times while driving I still have my CC on my hip in the paddle holster. I rarely take it off except at bed time

3 Likes

AIWB, same as when not driving in the car.
Things to learn, but no dilemma.

2 Likes

4:30, but pretty much because I don’t have any place else to put it in my Jeep. But I’m working on it…

1 Like

For many years I carried my .357 revolver in holster, upside down between the truck bucket seats. It was situated so that the grip was just a correct hands down quick grab.The space was tight enough that the holster remained fixed. If I needed to grab it, it was well within reach, it was already in position to fire. Actually easier than on my person.
Hmmm…mayhaps I need to revisit that strategy again considering the insanity drowning our country,

2 Likes

Well I must say that all comments above are good ways to carry in the car. But what I do when driving is I use my Tommygunpack not around my waist but I put it under my left arm and the belt over my right shoulder, this allow my right hand to easily draw if needed. The pack of my Tommygunpack not only holds my gun but 3 magazines a first aid kit, flashlight and more.this is what works best for me.

1 Like

I have an Alien Gear IWB and an Alien Gear “Mount” on the center console of all three vehicles.
It’s simple and nice. Firearm goes in the console, and it’s visible, loaded, and accessible in an instant. And while getting out of the vehicles it’s a “pull out and put in the IWB” in one swift movement. Same getting in. Now one might question “visible”… I’ve had panhandlers and others walk up to my vehicles while visiting the sh** city and they walk away immediately. But of course I have a Lever Gun mounted to…
And in my state this is fine.
Local Sherriff checked out my setup, I got a thumbs up… Of course I’m not in a City, check your City & County regulations…
Regardless, keep it on your body is my Vote…

6 Likes

I keep it on my person.

Reasoning: On my person is on my person. It’s one less thing to have to think about, and maybe forget or get wrong. Where I go, my gun goes. If there is a fender bender or accident, the gun will still be where it always is. If I have to bail because *&%# is happening, I can just straight bail and my gun will go with me. If I get out of the car, even just to stand next to it such as at a gas pump, my gun is on me and not left inaccessible in the car nor is it left accessible to one of my kids that is in the car.

For me, having a gun in the center console is kind of half-having the gun, half-not having it. Too many scenarios where I won’t have the time or wherewithal to retrieve it. And what if I need to bail out of the car RIGHT NOW, I don’t want to be forced to choose between leaving the gun behind, or getting out of the car with a gun IN MY HAND in order to have it.

So I guess for me, KISS is why I keep it on my person.

8 Likes

I just keep it in my person. That’s the safest place for it to be, and the easiest place to access it.

3 Likes

My backup gun in an ankle holster is easy to reach when seated.

2 Likes

I use on body in case I have to exit the vehicle quickly. I also have a go bag that I can grab if needed.

3 Likes

Both, I have the capability to care in vehicles under the steering wheel using magnet holsters. But feel most comfortable with maintaining my rec on person. I carry strong side @ 4:00. Not accessible seating with seat belt on. But I see the risk assessment as follows…chance of needing to draw my weapon seated seat belt on very low compared to being any one of many scenarios where you may be rapidly separated from your vehicle and finding yourself also separated from your edc! This does bring out a very important discussion concerning - how vulnerable are you when in a vehicle moving and stationary???

3 Likes

Big vulnerability difference, I think, between moving (or able to move if you want), and stationary. Leave room, recognize escape routes, realize when curbs might be a suggestion, probably pushing a car out of the way with your car to escape is safer for all involved than using that car as a backstop for your bullets…if I’m behind the wheel I’m pretty sure all the things my vehicle can do far outweigh the firearm unless and until my vehicle is disabled or completely physically stuck.

Check out the USCCA’s video series “analyzing real scenarios” Episode 1 and Ep 23 in particular for much more (and from experts rather than from myself)

2 Likes

This is an eyeopener. :open_mouth:

ATV gang surrounds car

2 Likes