How do you carry in your vehicle?

When I am in my vehicle I carry 4:00 o’clock position in a kydex holster. That’s the best on body way for me. To me it is the quickest way to get to my firearm if needed. I wish I could carry appendix but due to a bit of a belly I can’t. What is your carry position and why?

8 Likes

It stays on me, or for long trips, goes into the console.

But I expect everyone’s about to tell me I’m wrong, again.

6 Likes

I keep it AIWB in a kydex holster. I’ve tried 3 and 4 o’clock and it’s not comfortable for me in when seated in a car.

3 Likes

You see what I am saying brother AIWB is the way to go. Easiest and tactically the best way. Have a blessed day.

3 Likes

Hey brother I’m not here to say you are wrong just to discuss which are the better ways. If I am doing something tactically wrong and someone knows about it and doesn’t give me advice I would be upset. We help each other and I will never bash anyone but just try to help them if I can. I just wanted you to know that my brother.

7 Likes

I use an AlienGear ShapeShift Appendix for IWB 3:30 carry. It does get a bit uncomfortable on longer rides.

I ended up purchasing an extra shell and their holster mount. I attached the holster mount to the knee panel under the steering wheel. I cut a custom piece of aluminum plate, installed it behind the plastic, and run the mounting bolts through that for added stability. For long trips, I move the firearm to this holster. Easy to get to and more secure than a magnetic mount. It requires pushing a thumb lever to pull the firearm.

Some people will probably cringe at my having to move the firearm from one holster to another. I think of it as additional practice of getting the right grip on the firearm while seated.

6 Likes

Tried a bunch, but IWB 4 o’clock works for me pushed pretty far to the right so that it is in the open space and not clamped between me and the seat. Same with the spare mag on the left.

5 Likes

Tacticon Halo’s are these stupid strong magnets that you can use with either provided sticky tape or hardware. They sell them specifically for mounting firearms to different areas. They’re small, about an inch wide by about a quarter inch tall. I remember seeing them advertised for mounting under a desk or in a car by your legs. Each one can hold about 25lbs, I’ve even seen them hold up unloaded rifles

Just an option if you want the quickest access while in your vehicle or at a desk. There are several other brands but I have only tried these ones. They are just the smallest I could find that only used 1 screw as opposed to the standard 4 for other brands. I want to order more… I misplaced them before I got a chance to install them…

4 Likes

Thanks for the link brother.

2 Likes

Normally AIWB as I mostly carry nowadays. If I’m carrying OWB I will push the holster forward of 3:00 to ahead of where the seat belt meets the buckle or so. I want to make sure it’s clear of “stuff” if I need to draw quickly. Concealment is not a priority for me while I’m driving, free access is.

6 Likes

In my normal place - under my right arm.

6 Likes

Appendix for short trips, console or door for long. That depends on the car I’m driving!

5 Likes

I’ve gotten comfortable carrying more in the 2:00 position. Some between appendix and strong side. For me, I’ve found it’s comfortable whether I’m standing or sitting on long drives, it never has to leave my holster, and I can draw quickly. But that works for me, I suppose it depends on the size of gun you carry too

6 Likes

3” .45ACP, 4:00, kydex holster, very comfortable, long trip /short trip, however tactically unsound. If seatbelt was not required by law, no problem.

3 Likes

If on short trips, I’m carrying at 3:30 position - sometimes difficult to get the seatbelt on/off as the buckle/latch is right there. Now, if something were to get squirrelly quickly, I’d be in a world of hurt, I know, but that’s where I carry and if it’s a short trip, that’s where it stays.

Long road trips are a different story. I use a Vehicle Holster Multi-Mount - found it on Amazon. I’m comfortable and my firearm is within quick reach, just under my right knee. I never leave my weapon in my car unattended so if I’m pumping gas or something like that, I’ll safely re-holster to my CCW configuration.

2 Likes

Warm weather AIWB. It is very accessible, and more comfortable for me than 4 o’clock IWB while driving. WPS has a YT video interviewing a huskier fellow that talks about how positioning makes it work. When a heavier jacket is suitable, I prefer 3 o’clock OWB or a SH rig for driving.

3 Likes

Couple thoughts on this. First off, I carry IWB in the 4 oclock position. Works for me. I also am fortunate enough to carry at work and I am a desk jockey and it works for me there.

Second, keep in mind if you are not comfortable in the car with your preferred setup and driving, auto seats these days are infinintely adjustable, so if at first you are not comfortable, play with your seat adjustment. Something simple like a back angle or lumbar support pressure can make huge differences.

Third, those of you that carry AIWB, are you wearing your seatbelt over your gun? How is that going to feel if you ever need your seatbelt? Just a thought.

4 Likes

Probably a lot less painful than the airbags that will be hitting my face and sides at a billion miles an hour… :rofl:

2 Likes

I remove my firearm from my holster and “dashboard carry”.

8 Likes

I am a Lefty, so I don’t suffer from the issues with seat belts, I carry at about 9:15, with the FBI cant in an OWB.

5 Likes