How do you carry in your vehicle?

I carry a Springfield XDm 3.8 barrel about 3:30 so mr. seatbelt isn’t in the way
make sure my shirt is not tucked under the seatbelt and all is good. I have a
Ram 3500 truck so the seats are a bit wider and I don’t suffer on a long trip.

3 Likes

I either fanny pack it… And just slide it over to the left side some …then just slide to the middle when im out. Or i carry over waistband holster and just adjust it a bit and its fine. I just use a uncle mikes with retention snap for glock19

4 Likes

I am a 250lbs. big guy with a gut and I appendix carry everywhere I go, even when seated in my vehicle. I also carry an extra firearm in my go bag that also goes everywhere I go.

4 Likes

@Johnnyq60 search youtube for big guy appendix carry and you will be amazed. I didnt think I could carry appendix either until I watched several videos and did some research. Now appendix is the only way I carry. Hope this helps :+1::+1:

6 Likes

I realize it’s not ideal placement, but normally I keep my firearm exactly where it usually is–on my 4-ish o’clock.
For longer trips, I might take it out and put it in one of those Striker magnet and trigger guard combination devices … Or one of the rack-assist magnets of various brands…
I do also have an OWB Paddle holster (from a dump bin @ LGS for like $3) for my 1911 on my go-bag. And if I bring the go-bag, there’s usually at least another handgun inside a pocket, along with the ASP.

3 Likes

You know brother I saw those videos and tried it and it was uncomfortable for me but I’m going to try taking off a few in my gut and maybe try it again.
Thanks for the tip brother.

5 Likes

I like shoulder holsters for any extended travel. I can get to the weapon quickly withou the problem of the seat belt.

Larry

4 Likes

4 O’clock. OWB or in my center console, depending on my idea of the threat level where I am driving.

3 Likes

Normaly appendex but if it starts bug me I will stuff it in the seat right next to me

3 Likes

I have the new black arch iwb left hand at 4:00. That way the butt points out to right. No problem reaching it with the seat belt on !

2 Likes

Don’t trust anyone who says they are a expert and tries to push their idea on whats perfect on you. everyone is different and has different styles and likes. Does it work for you? if so then more power to ya. I carry on my hip while driving because should anything happen the first thing that would happen is pushing the gas and GTFO out of there. If they chase ya you have the advange because they have to follow you. You can go wherever you want. they have to follow. And if it goes really pear shaped there will be plenty of time to get my pistol ready. Also, I will be on the phone to the cops and keeping them informed as to my location.

4 Likes

I carry in the appendix position with my overshirt and seatbelt tucked behind my firearm. I prefer this method as I do not need to fumble with clothing or a seatbelt if the need should ever arise (hopefully not). My main carry never leaves my person unless regulated to by local laws. I live in Arizona though, so that is not something I typically need to worry about. A firearm off my person does me no good if I can’t get to it ;). Even on long trips my set up (P365XL and LAS Ronin) does not get uncomfortable. If I want to take additional firearms with me though, I typically have a mounted AR15 pistol in the hatch if things were to get really hairy.

This is what works for me but everyone is different. Find out what works for you and your vehicle and stick to it. Cheers!

2 Likes

Same way I carry everywhere else. Most of the time AIWB. On the rare occasions that I carry OWB nowadays I carry just forward of the 3:00 mark on my waist so there is no issue with interference from the seatbelt. Where ever the gun is I just make sure I have my it easily accessible while I drive.

5 Likes

I move the seatbelt behind my gun when Im driving. So far it feels fine and have total access to my firearm

3 Likes

Welcome to the family brother and god bless you.

1 Like

I also tuck my shirt behind the pistol while seated. This way I dont have to deal with my cover garment. Also keeping the seat belt clear of my seated draw. In real high risk areas I might even unholster and keep the pistol where I can grab it the fastest. It is all dependent on you cabin design of course.

3 Likes

It stays on me. 4 or 5 o’clock—give or take. Hybrid holster.

2 Likes

That’s a neat idea using a shoulder set-up. I’ve been practicing AIWB in the 12:30 position at home (waiting on the CPL process to complete) and haven’t tried sitting in the vehicle with the pistol in the holster, yet. I’ll try it with the seat belt and shirt on the inside of the holster and see how that feels.

3 Likes

I like gun magnets and YES they do stick to Stainless Steel. The ones I use are out of computer hard drives and they are stupid strong. If it is a short distance run the gun stays on my hip if longer distance the holster stays and the gun goes on two magnets attached to the center console. It has survived hard breaking and fortunately not a collision and not moved. My holster is a Bianchi #3S. Yes the gun will stick in the holster but not as well as steel to magnet, with two magnets the holster is stuck

Cheers,

Craig6

5 Likes

For short trips (i.e., 60 miles or less, local store, has station) it’s IWB 4:00. For extended trips, under-dash magnets or in console.

2 Likes