Holster question and carry position

I just took my conceal carry class and have a few questions I was hoping to get some input on.

Due to my build I am thinking I will need an iwb holster. I want a Kydex that completely covers the trigger because I have a Stoeger STR 9 with no external safetys. Leaning towards Aliengear or Clinger because they actually have fitted holsters for the STR 9.

My question is what have you found to be the most comfortable carry position for walking around, sitting in office chairs and in the car?

I am thinking in the car a shoulder holster would be best if going to carry on yourself but not very practical outside the car. Really leaning towards mounting a kydex holster inside my center console. I think that would help protect the gun and also help prevent an unintended discharge if I am ever in an accident.

I am also planning on mounting a lock box in the car for those times I need to go somewhere and can’t carry. That will more than likely go behind the back seat in my truck.

Any guidance or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

5 Likes

I use Aliengear ShapeShift Appendix for my EDC, but I actually have it at 3:30 IWB position. The appendix holster was a much smaller profile and more comfortable for me to use everywhere including while seating in the car. The 3-point seatbelt does not affect my ability to draw while in the driving position, but I make sure I am not sitting on my shirt. For longer trips, I attached a holster mount under the steering wheel and purchased another shell so I didn’t have to disassemble the IWB holster.

2 Likes

Im a skinny guy about 130 no body fat I work in construction and carry iwb appendix with a bravo concealment holster for 4 years. As for you. You need to figure out what suits you best as far as comfortably an carry position. I would highly discourage you from mounting a holster in your car to use it you would have to unholster your gun from your carry position to put into the car holster and again unholstering your gun to put into your carry which in turn leave you pulling your gun in and out of multiple holsters a day which could be a little dangerous with that said you will probably end up with a box of posters just like the rest of us good luck on your journey

4 Likes

I use the Alien Gear shape-shift myself for a while it was super comfortable just a little bulky for my body type and they also don’t offer options for holsters with lights or red Dot

3 Likes

This will vary greatly from person to person. For me, appendix carry checks all of those boxes and still gives me good access to the firearm at all times.

Everyone here has a box of unused holsters that they tried and failed before settling on one they like.

You are planning well. An inexpensive lockbox to prevent thiefs from snatching and grabbing is an excellent idea. I do not recommend leaving your firearm unattended for any extended length of time, especially overnight in a car for example. Amazon.com has many of these lockboxes for well under $50

3 Likes

All, thanks for the quick responses.

I will start with an iwb that can be worn in a few different positions and try appendix first.

3 Likes

20 pounds ago (thanks, COVID…that’s my story and I’m sticking to it), I carried a Cougar Stoeger and then a Glock 43 IWB at 8:00 (I’m left-handed) in an Alien Gear holster. I found it reasonably comfortable to sit at my desk, in my car and, in my living room. I currently carry my Glock 43X in an UnderTech UnderCover shirt beneath my outer shirt.

6 Likes

:rofl:

Thanks to Keto, I’ve gone the other direction and switched to appendix carry. I like having my firearm on the front of my body for that little extra security. But it is all personal preference and what you are comfortable and proficient with.

I’ve got 3 different holsters I can use for my gun in my favorite position - it all depends on the plans for the day (working at the office, working from home, hiking, driving a lot, shopping).

6 Likes

I love Aliengear shapeshift holsters, I wear iwb 4.30-5 o clock position.

3 Likes

I have carried the shield 9mm in a kydex made by Pyntek holsters. I carry appendix. As I’m in Steamy Florida, shoulder carry is not very practical due to type of clothing necessary for concealing. I recently bought a HAWG holster with ulticlip for an M&P 2.0 compact 9mm. Only worn it a couple times…I like it. Have seen some good reviews on the Alien gear shape shifter modular kit.

3 Likes

I know that I need to start with getting off my duff more…

3 Likes

If you have settled (at least for now) on appendix, have a look at this recent thread, which also has links to older threads with lots of info on appendix carry.

4 Likes

Sonny Crockett carried in a shoulder holster in steamy Miami…and he carried a Bren Ten… :grin:

8 Likes

I’m a lefty who bought a Clingers IWB holster which I originally intended to wear at 10 o’clock position.
It wasn’t readily accessible when driving. I’m pleasantly surprised how easily it was to transition to wearing it at 2 o’clock.

3 Likes

I’m a big guy…IWB won’t work for me due to a little extra around the midsection :joy:. I use a right hand, OWB from Concealment Express. Kydex, trigger covered, paddle style. I also have no external safety. But I am 6’ 4 with an almost 7 foot wingspan, so my comfort zone is a cross draw. I carry on the left hip, front, about 1030 or so. Suits me well walking, driving, sitting. Your comfort will come in time. Trial and feeling. I wore in the house to get used to it, and was always worried about printing, but you’ll get over that also! :+1:

6 Likes

I love these threads on holsters. Lots of interesting information. You will inevitably end up purchasing many holsters for carry just to find a good fit. Plus if you carry different sizes they may dictate different locations to carry. I’m skinny so printing is a big problem and with a compact pistol appendix works. On the other hand if I plan on walking a lot and standing a 4-5 o’clock carry works. Just like others have mentioned I have a box full of holsters. As always take care reholstering, and look it into the holster.

4 Likes

As many of us have a little more in the middle than we would like… I carry both OWB and IWB. Alien Gear IWB is comfortable, and if I need to tuck in the shirt, it is tuckable, but I do find it easier to carry OWB with a covering garment.

Just putting my .22 cents worth… you can find a IWB holster, one that is comfortable even if only for certain occasions.

3 Likes

Right now I only have the Kydex owb pancake it came with.

In SC we can legally carry it in the car/truck in the glove box or center console as long as it latches. We can also carry in a lock box in the luggage compartment but not sure why anyone would do that.

I have been carrying in my truck since Wednesday and carrying in my house since Thursday. I have been using the pancake and carrying at 3 o clock. I have been wearing a jacket or sweater to conceal it.

So far my wife, son and daughter have not noticed. I figure if I can carry all day around them without them noticing…carrying concealed in public should be easy.

Thanks for all the great advice.

5 Likes

I started with the alien gear shape shift kit so I could try different options. I immediately liked appendix. I found their holster quite comfortable, but didn’t conceal as well as I wanted. I have been using a tier 1 concealed axis slim for over a year now and love it. It hugs the grip inward much better and they accommodate my light and rmr. I can easily hide my glock 19 under a t shirt. Look up warrior poet society channel on you tube for a good review of this holster as well as tons of great information. Don’t forget to use a good belt! Good luck with your journey!

3 Likes

Any suggestions on whether to go with Axis Slim vs Aegis? I am considering one for a 4.25" M2.0.

3 Likes