Considering appendix carry

I’ve carried a 1911 for years at the 4 o’clock position. About 6 months ago I was given a Taurus G3C. I’ve been carrying it in the same position. However I’m interested in appendix carry with the smaller firearm. I realize it’s a love/hate topic. Any recommendations on a holster? Looking for something comfortable without spending a lot to experiment. Thanks.

4 Likes

Check out Bravo concealment right now you can get two holsters for under 60 bucks there a great maid Kydex they also have polymer injected molded

3 Likes

The number #1 thing to successful appendix carry is a good belt. Since you’ve been carrying for years, I will assume you have a good one.

The number #2 thing to successful appendix carry is a dedicated appendix holster. Not a holster that can be used in appendix, it must be purpose-built for the job.

I’ve posted a bit on these other threads, have a look and if you need further help, please ask.

5 Likes

A lot of good advice given by @Shawn31 and @Harvey. There are several companies that make good Kydex holsters but the most important thing is a good belt which holds the holster. I also started recently carrying appendix and at first I didn’t find the correct spot, but it’s been about 2 months consistent appendix carry and it’s gotten more comfortable. I’m sure you will like it also. Give it a shot, no fun intended.:wink::wink:

4 Likes

I’ve gone with the Nexbelt and Alien Gear for the Appendix carry holster. Not too bad at the 1 o’clock position, but my G48 handle is a little long, IMHO, making it just a tad bit harder to not print. It’s a work in progress.

2 Likes

I love it. Switched when I bought my Sig 365. I use a JM4Tactical appendix carry holster.

I did use a sticky holster for appendix for about two weeks to make sure I would be able to carry appendix comfortably. It’s an inexpensive option for “just trying it out” or daily carry depending on how comfortable you are with the holster.

3 Likes

I’ve bought “Pro Carry” holster from The Holster Store for less than $20 (free shipping).
Perfect for testing…and actually I still use it for fry firing.
My final product is “Tucker Gun Leather” holster… which is almost the same as JM4 Tactical.
What I love in Tucker’s is that it’s hard boltaron case with leather inside liner. No single wear sign on the handgun after one year of usage.

2 Likes

I’ve always kept things pretty basic. My last job had me walking around more which the 4:00 carry was perfect. Now I’m doing as much driving as walking. I have more concealment leaning back than forward in an emergency. I’m struggling to get over the sitting aspect. Thank you all for your replies. Time for the fun part. Accessory shopping.

2 Likes

I use a JM4 tactical as well for my Hellcat and love it.

2 Likes

I’m slim waisted, appendix owb or belly band is the only comfortable thing I’ve found…using an alien gear that im not to happy with.

2 Likes

I don’t know if I am considered slim waisted (34’) but I am right handed and carry IWB appendix at the 11:00 position and it is comfortable and conceals really well.

3 Likes

Same here just outside… one thing about the alien I love is that it holds the pistol high. If the loops for the belt where more recessed I guess it would be great on the hip.
I can sit in my truck and it is comfortable at appendix but on the hip the small pressure point is irritating.

2 Likes

One thing I would never do iwb appendix is reholster… I would take the holster out, holster then put it back in. Since the holster has a trigger guard.

3 Likes

Hahaha… That’s why we practice… :slightly_smiling_face:
I do carry appendix cross draw. Re-holstering is so nice and easy :grin:

2 Likes

Your right I never reholster without removing the holster first.

3 Likes

Try to practice re-holstering at home in privacy in front of a mirror. The only way that gun will go off is if you pull the trigger yourself. You have to build your confidence holstering while the holster is still on your belt. I been carrying appendix and practice re- holstering my firearm with the holster in my belt.

2 Likes

Check out active self protection channel on YouTube. John corria has some great info on this subject. If you use proper technique, re-holstering can be done safely. Stay safe!

2 Likes

Snap caps. A very cheap way to really know your firearm. Obviously keep ammunition out of the area. Load a snap cap and put your firearm through some testing. See what it takes to accidentally bypass the safeties. I want to know I’m carrying safely regardless of the position.

2 Likes

@Jackie8, you’ve mentioned that you are going to carry Taurus… so there is nothing to be afraid of…

glockcock

Just kidding. If you find appendix carry to be the most comfortable, just practice.

2 Likes

Lol. I’ve carried my Taurus G3C for about 7 months now. Upgraded the plastic firing pin guide and slide return spring assembly to stainless steel. It may not be a Glock or my colt. It did kill a copperhead when I needed it to though. Decided to go with an Alien Gear 4.0 shape shift from a local shop. My Fast Gunman leather is very similar to the Jm4 tactical. It just sat too low for appendix. Second day wearing it. So far so good. Not the most comfortable but neither was 4:00 when I first started. Thanks for the helpful replies.

2 Likes