Need some help

Brand new 1911 (Sig Emperor Scorpion Fastback). Load 8 in a mag, seat, rack. Engage thumb safety. Drop mag, safety off, hammer down…slide will not cycle back to eject round. First mag worked fine. Now I have a round in the chamber, and can’t clear it. What am I doing wrong. (Weapon is now holstered, thumb safety on, locked in a carry case, and locked in my safe)

4 Likes

Have you tried holding it upside down and racking it?

1 Like

Have not.

2 Likes

It sounds like the cartridge is catching on something. You could try upside down and 3 an 9.oclock positions

1 Like

1.Did you disassemble, clean and inspect all parts prior to loading a full magazine?
2. Has your firearm ever been fired on a range?
3. Did it cycle normally?Just looking for more info. So far it sounds like an extremely tight fit.
4. What can you tell me about the slide stop?
5. I assume you did a round count and there is a round in battery?
6. Do you own any other weapons of a different caliber?
For safety purposes, I wouldn’t try any type of disassembly or force the slide back.
I would rather have any and all remedies be done on the safety of a range. So I’m just going to ask the question.
Have you tried reinstalling the magazine with the seven rounds? And tried recycling?
Have you tried to reinstalling the the magazine while empty and recycling

2 Likes

@CMBTVT
What was the ammo used? Branded or reloaded?

You are not doing anything wrong. It’s either bad extractor (or spring) or round.
If the round was not fired, the casing is still not expanded do once you disassemble the handgun, you can try to push it back from the muzzle side.
JUST BE CAREFUL AND DO NOT TOUCH BARREL CROWN WITH METAL RODS…

You can also try to rack it hard several times (like clearing malfunction). Hopefully the extractor catches the round.

3 Likes
  1. Negative.
  2. Negative.
  3. First mag cycled without flaw.
  4. Clarify your question please.
  5. Affirmative.
  6. Yes. 38 Spl (S&W). 9mm Sig 365. 5.56 Sig M400 Tread.

Did not retry the mag with 7 rounds, but did try an empty mag.

3 Likes

Ok let’s star with the slide stop, can it be moved at all?
When you cycled your weapon you did not ride the slide it slammed home as normal. Yes?
There is a small chance the slide stop is bent ever so slightly as to prevent the barrel lug from disengagement.
I can’t stress this enough any function tests should be done on a range with supervision!!!
There is also NO chance an different caliber could have been loaded? Honest question. Trying to diagnose from long distance!
Disclaimer: do not try this at home! Did you try to remove end cap to release tension and giggle slide.
Did you at any point during the malfunction visibly check to see through the magazine well that there are no obstructions?

2 Likes

I did not have the slide locked to the rear when I chambered. But didn’t ride it slowly forward either. Don’t recall if I tried the slide lock. Zero chance of wrong caliber. The 9 is my edc and was holstered on my waist with mag pouch, so both 9mm loaded mags were accounted for.

This was my 2nd mag of 8. The first one worked just fine, with no issues at all.

Locked away for the night. I will calling my local range in the am to see if I can walk in & have an armorer help out.

3 Likes

@CMBTVT
do this and it will come out, just be careful. I’VE DONE THIS ,IT WORKS.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3rcaiUsTqI

4 Likes

You have just force the extractor to ride hard over the casing.
@Cobra - thx for the video link. Now it will be easier for me to explain the technique to my friends :+1:

4 Likes

Thank you for taking all the safety precautions, does not sound like operator error!
I have one last question, and one last observation.
Can you or have you tried to move the Thumb Safety/“SLIDE STOP SPRING”?
There’s a chance, even though you were able to cycle an 8 round mag, that the slide stop isn’t inserted into the barrel link.
I’ve done the best I can from a distance. Please help us here, when a diagnostic is performed and what the remedy is, thank you

2 Likes

Great video!

2 Likes

@CMBTVT. Did you get the casing out yet?

1 Like

@Cobra

Live round. Good video, but not trying that here at home. Will be heading to the range to see an armorer in the am.

7 Likes

Thanks all for the help/comments/suggestions. Just got back from seeing the armorer…explained the issue, he takes it, goes to his workbenches, racks the slide & the round ejects. Don’t know if I was doing something wrong, or just needed to be more forceful. Guess a trip to the range is in my very near future. Thanks again guys.

7 Likes

Do you have that round recovered by armorer?

3 Likes

Thanks for the update, glad you have a safe weapon now. Putting a few rounds through should tell a better story but a break in period will clear all things up. My recommendation is field strip, clean and oil prior to firing your new weapon. Good luck. Semper Fi 1911

4 Likes

Yes, field strip before loading again!

2 Likes

After reading the comment and the replies, I honestly can not tell what was being done.

racking the slide with ammo for 8 rds with one magazine and then drop the mag and load a fresh one and try to rack the slide 8 times to cycle through the ammo?

Or was it 8 shots with the first magazine, and the second magazine or the firearm had a failure or malfunction.

If simply cycling through 8 rds in a magazine, I would have to ask … WHY?

4 Likes