Never seen this happen before. Need some help from the experts!

Alright, Community Friends. I am in need of some assistance so any help would be appreciated.

So I know that unloading and reloading the same round can damage the rim on casings and have potential issues with extraction. I have NEVER seen it this bad before thought and curious if anyone has seen this and what I may have done wrong to cause this. I have taken the chambered round out for dry fire training and reloaded, but I have never seen it happen to this extent on past carry ammo. I have switched over to Federal HST from previously using SIG V-Crown. That is the only change that I can think of being the cause. The only modifications that have been made are milling out the slide to add my Holosun 407 and putting in an Apex Trigger.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

2 Likes

Very odd. I load and reload rounds all of the time without issue in any of them.

6 Likes

i dont think that is due to unloading/reloading the same round.

To get that kind of wear (chip? shear?) would require the extractor hitting the same spot repeatedly… OR a very strong impact.

Does the extractor flex like its supposed to? They are usually under spring tension so they can ride over the rim when loading. Maybe if its not flexing, the hard extractor metal is going through the case rather than riding over.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

8 Likes

It looks like it’s flattening the material, not shearing/chipping anything off.

It isn’t always going into battery when I release the slide (I don’t ease it forward either. I always pull all the way back and release it). That leads me to believe there is an extractor issue but I can’t help but wonder if it’s an ammo issue.

1 Like

Do you reload from the magazine, or do you drop the cartridge into the chamber and release the slide onto it?

3 Likes

I’ve always loaded directly into the chamber and release the slide.

1 Like

That’s what I was thinking from looking at the deformation on the rim of the case. I would recommend reloading from the magazine. There are tradeoffs both ways. Loading in the chamber 1st means no bullet setback, but potential damage to the extractor or it appears, damage to the cartridge rim. Reloading from the magazine will result in bullet setback when the same cartridge is reloaded enough times.

I would also suggest a careful examination of the extractor because you said it does not always go into battery.

9 Likes

@Gary_H has a good point. Does the issue appear when loading “normally” from a mag?

It looks like it’s flattening the material, not shearing/chipping anything off.

OK, yeah thats what it looks like. The extractor might be just plowing through the case rim instead of riding over it (i hope that makes sense).

4 Likes

I think this is why the manufacturers recommend against dropping the slide with a round in the chamber.

Load from the magazine as designed so the rim slides up under the extractor vs the extractor slamming over it

5 Likes

I haven’t looked close enough yet to know for sure, but I will be doing that as soon as I’m able to.

1 Like

I won’t be doing that anymore now. It’s just weird that it started doing this now and not at any time previously (That I have noticed at least)

2 Likes

I agree that it sounds like a problem with extractor function. Especially if coincident with getting your milled slide back, I would look for a metal chip to have gotten under the extractor and keep it from lifting over the rim like it should.

When you say “not going to battery”, can you tell whether the round you drop in is not fully chambered or whether the extractor is blocking the slide until it forces the cartridge rim to give way? Do unfired cases extract easily? I’d hate to think that the milling messed up the inside of your slide, but is there anything unusual where slide and barrel interact? That would be my next thought after extractor.

Not sure I see where an ammo problem would play like this — especially if unfired rounds go fully in and easily out. Let us know what you find.

3 Likes

If you reload, you might try making 2 dummy rounds. (no powder, no primer but sized and projectile assembled to specifications). One round used by dropping into chamber and releasing the slide. 2nd round to be loaded from the magazine. Repeat a few times and check to see if problem manifests. It sounds like an extractor problem, or possibly a soft case rim. You might want to check the condition of the extractor, as well.

2 Likes

Valid also.

I don’t know, but can imagine so, do the machine shops dis and re assemble slides to do milling? Maybe it’s not back together perfectly correctly or something was damaged in that process

2 Likes

@Nathan57 hit close to my reply. You had a milling procedure done to the slide. The extractor is one of the few movable pieces in a slide. I’d bet a nickle that you have metal shaving in your extractor ways.

Disassemble, clean, reassemble.

Cheers,

Craig6

4 Likes

That does not occur when a round is stripped from the mag and inserted into the chamber; the rim slides in behind the extractor.

5 Likes

It sounds to me that the extractor is frozen in place and the spring is not allowing the teeth on the extractor to fall back over the round

1 Like

Well, I went to take off the extractor but once I got the red dot off I found out that I won’t be able to. They milled right through the roll pin. Needless to say, I’m not happy but I reached out to the shop that did the work to see what they have to say.

3 Likes

A saying in my industry, “Just when you think you made something idiot proof, you find a higher quality idiot.”

That’s unforgiveable.

5 Likes

Oof.

You would hope it would have been noticed before sending it out.

More importantly, you expect it will be rectified promptly. That’s the measuring stick at this point.

4 Likes