Malfunction Junction - Share your stories?

Had a malfunction with the new 22 today. :unamused:
Ok, not the gun but the ammo. Pop…pop…failure to feed. One still in the chamber, and it won’t eject. Hand it over to the gunsmith and he goes and knocks the round out of the chamber. Well knock isn’t exactly right, he says I really had to pound that out of there. Turns out the brass cartridge split and wedged itself in there pretty solidly when it expanded. Here’s pictures:

Have you had an ammo malfunction? Share your stories?

Not me but my wife has has to many problems with her Sig P238. Sig just replaced the extractor and polished the feed ramp, and test fired it and it is still having problems ejecting brass. The slide bites back on the brass and takes a bite out of the brass leaving a V at the opening of the brass. She just got the firearm back from Sig and we just went to the range today and it did it again. Needless to say Sig is going to get an earful tomorrow. I will have to ask her latter where the brass is at and take some pictures.

1 Like

I have only seen that once before. It was the same ammo manufacture but I was firing it out of a single shot bolt action .22 (my very first firearm I was 15 at the time).

My father finally got the casing out and thought it was a bad extractor so we took it to a gunsmith. He ended up telling us we had a bad batch of ammo and we should dispose of it and use a different brand.

1 Like

1 Like

Yikes! @BJP that is really broken!

What type of ammo are u useing,might want to check the batch, for case tolerance,if reloading might went to insure sizing is correct

1 Like

Just saw the pictures,might be the ammo,grain or powder off changes feed ability,and ejection capability

1 Like

What brand of ammo or. A relodad,any pictures of the case bottom,primer area,what caliber,if reload who made primer. They have different strike tolerances, etc can cause issues

1 Like

All of those are factory loads ranging from 90 - 95 grain. Winchester white box, Browning, Hornady American Gunner, and S&B. When the firearm was sent into Sig the first time she also sent the brass looking like this so they could see what was happening.

1 Like