Springfield armory range officer compact

Dropping the magazine yesterday I noticed a round fall out of the gun… cleared the gun…removed magazine. I loaded the magazine again and chambered a round removed the magazine same thing again… removed all of the ammo and loaded with snap caps…everything cycled ok dryfiring… once then started hanging up on the ejection…loaded again with 8 rounds of defensive ammo…racked a round into chamber and it tried to double feed…dropped magazine (had to forcible pull out) and finally removed round that would not eject … is it me ,the ammo or the gun…returning to the manufacturer in the meantime. I am not sure if its me ,the weapon or the ammo. It worked great for the first 50 or so rounds…

4 Likes

Welcome to the community @Arnold6. Train hard and stay safe. :smiley: I’m kind of thinking it might be the the ammo, just my thought.

4 Likes

Welcome to the Community @Arnold6.
First step to investigate such malfunction is to change the ammo.
I’m not sure if I get you correctly - does it happen with snap caps as well?

3 Likes

Did you ride the slide a little when you chambered a round?

Did you check the extractor tension with an empty case?

Did you check with snap caps in the chamber, magazine out, forcefully pulling the slide back if the snap cap falls down the magazine well or if ejected out properly?

Did you do a plunk test with the barrel (disassembled with barrel seperate from slide) with the ammo in question? Do you have the same problem with other ammo? Always follow safe firearm handling.

Does the extractor hook show any signs of damage?

Is the FPS to extractor fit very loose?

Do you have these problems with other magazines?

Just trying to get more info. Personally, if it is under warranty I might send it back to have them figure out the problem before I messed too much with it.

4 Likes

Welcome @Arnold6!

If I read correctly, you tried SD Ammo, range ammo, and snap caps. Did you try changing the magazine? Maybe the feed lips are not holding the ammo in?

5 Likes

It is an issue with my 9mm SA as well. I hated it, sometimes I like to top off mags during a class. I tried several mags, Night Hawk, Tripp, SA, Mec Gar, and Metalform. Mec Gar was the winner. No more ‘piddling’ from my SA 1911…

3 Likes

Thanks…the gun is only a month old…tried both factory mags with same result on all ammo and snap caps…sent it back under warranty for repair.I noticed on another 1911 forum that this has happened a few times with this model…I hope its only a magazine issue… never noticed this before because I do not usually drop a full magazine unless I am changing ammo type which does not happen very often.

4 Likes

I had similar issues with a 9mm Springfield EMP4. I sent it back to Springfield and they recut and polished the feed ramp, tested and said it was good. I got it back and it jammed on the first magazine. What I discovered is it functioned properly with Hollow Points as long as I only put 6 rounds in the magazine - apparently Springfield did not run their test with a full magazine. Long story short, I got mine to function well by tightening the extractor and using Barnes TAC-XPD hollow point ammo. I believe tightening the extractor allowed it to hold the cartridge vertically higher before the bullet made contact with the feed ramp. The Barnes cartridges’ overall length is the longest I could find and that reduces the free hanging space it has to go thru to make contact with the feed ramp.

After thousands of rounds thru it, I don’t want to jinx myself, but it has not jammed anymore with a wide variety of ammo. By the way, even though it did not resolve the problem, I do not regret Springfield re-cutting and polishing the feed ramp. I don’t know about your model, but the ejector is “glued” in place on the EMP series. Any 1911 EMP returned to Springfield automatically gets the ejector “pinned” in place, therefore increasing long term reliability (in my opinion).

Circling back to the top, it did not have any problems with FMJ ammo from day 1. Hope this helps …

Edit: The reduced weight and FMJ configuration of the Snap Caps probably contribute to them feeding properly.

3 Likes

Welcome to the family and you are in the right place at the right time. It does sound like a defective magazine spring. This can happen to any pistol. Were you seating the magazine properly? I’ve made the mistake of not seating the magazine in the well correctly. Bad mag springs can cause the issue your describing.

2 Likes

but could be the magazine.

2 Likes

Yup, I had a mag that was kind of stinking a little, took it apart and cleaned it and then worked great. Magazines can cause a few different issues and problems. And causing you to :rage: :right_anger_bubble:

2 Likes

Thats what I think…

2 Likes

For such a nice pistol the mags seem a little “cheap”…not knocking the product but I will probably invest in upgraded magazines regardless.

2 Likes

only once

3 Likes