Malfunction Junction - Share your stories?

@Craig6 The firearm went into Sig twice and Sig has replaced the extractor, polished the feed ramp, replaced the slide, and tuned the trigger. My wife has not taken it back out to the range yet though since we have been busy on the farm.

1 Like

Lock the slide to the rear and look into the rear of the chamber opening. You are looking for a straight bit of metal that stays still when the slide moves usually on the left hand side of the gun. Look and see if it might be broken off or chipped or missing.

Gun plumbers, like doctors can get myopic when given an issue “It doesn’t extract the case” so they look at the extractor. It was nice that they replaced the slide, polished your feed ramp and tuned the trigger but they didn’t address the issue. The gun does not “EJECT the case”. The extractor only pulls the case out of the chamber, the ejector makes the case leave the gun. If the ejector is broken or too short the case will get hemmed up in the slide when it moves forward causing the issues you are having. The extractor is holding your case in place against the face of the slide as it is designed to do, that part works.

Cheers,

Craig6

2 Likes

Today’s, Glock 43. Back home now, will be getting my spare Glock rods box out…and saving these springs for …something. The broken rod ended up against the wall behind me.

I thought this might be a good idea, what do you all think. :thinking:

1 Like

Some day I’ll stop preaching the gospel of CCI book 1 chapter .22 but that won’t be for a long time haha. I’ve never seen a round split like that. Was there any damage to the chamber?

Hey you all. Speaking of .22 rounds. For semi ought users, if you use your speed loader, even end up leaving a dimple on the casing? If so, does that cause any problems, jams, or non fires for you?

I got a speed loader which is very handy, but it leaves marks on the aide of the casings. :frowning:

ive probably run 2000 rounds or better through my ETS speed loader. it will randomly mark casing walls but ive never had it damage one beyond use or reloadability.

The only true ammo failure I’ve had, beyond the occasional rimfire failure to fire, was a 38 special squib load. It lodged between the forcing cone and the cylinder and locked up the whole gun. It was a low cost “factory reload” and I was only about 20 rounds into a 50 round bag. I gave all the rest (several bags) to someone at the range. He seemed happy to have it, even knowing that it wasn’t reliable. It took the gunsmith there a little work to get the bullet pushed back far enough to open the cylinder, but no damage to the gun. No more “factory reloads” for me again.

1 Like

Ok…here goes.
I was shooting my new 9mm with factory loads. All was going fine until one round just didnt sound right. It fired, I heard a bang but it was not as loud. And the slide didnt cycle. I cleared the pistol and dropped the mag. Looked down the barrel and, much to my dismay, found the bullet half way down the barrel. A squib. Good thing it didnt cycle and that I noticed something wasnt right or else. Needless to say I never bought another box of that ammo again.

3 Likes

Great job catching it sir! A lot of people might have just racked another round and pulled the trigger. Well done!

2 Likes

Thank God for awareness. Just goes to show that if something feels wrong then it is wrong.

3 Likes

38 super +p defense ammo from sig not a failure per say BUT nearly an entire box of 20 (19 of em) simply would NOT feed/chamber!!!

sent sig a message about it… is old ammo actually… had 3 box’s 2 gave me no problem…

some just barely others looked like about 1/2 still out…

Can’t say had any ammo failures but I used to have a Glock 42 that couldn’t get through 1 magazine without multiple jams. Used a lot of different ammo but nothing helped. Sold the Glock, went an M&P shield.

1 Like

Had that happen but only once with a model 42 and model 48 and one particular ammo. I really wanted to use that ammo, but it scared to heck outta me, so I never used that brand ammo ever again, I wrote the manufacturer of the ammo about it.

Never had a problem since, just luck I guess.