Never seen this happen before. Need some help from the experts!

That is disappointing workmanship, but I don’t understand why that prevents removing the roll pin?

3 Likes

Bingo… end of story. You have a mag for a reason…use it

2 Likes

@Harvey
I had the same exact thought you did about the extractor hitting the same spot on the rim. What are the chances of that happening? Things that make you go hum.

1 Like

@techs
I also hope it wasn’t the milling to the slide that caused it. That maybe a hard fix. Hopefully it is just a piece of metal chip caught under the extractor.

1 Like

I was going to say to send it back to the manufacturer and see what they can do there’s some type of warranty but it may not cover damage if it was caused by aftermarket work.

1 Like

Oh man, thats painful. I hope they make it right for you, that seems pretty unexcusable IMO.

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s becoming clear that I will need to change up my normal load procedure. I’ve always done it that way and never had issues in the past, but I now see the reason for loading from the mag and not directly into the chamber! I carry a spare mag anyway, so 1 less round won’t be a big issue for me.

1 Like

I didn’t want to remove it on my own before talking to the gunsmith about it since some roll pins are different than others. I didn’t want to pull it out and have broken bits all over and not be able to get my extractor back on.

I did get a chance to talk to my gunsmith and he showed me taking it out and all is fine. There was a VERY SMALL bit of metal behind the extractor that may have been causing the issue with flattening the rims.

3 Likes

I forget the reason for fear of topping up a down-one magazine…
I do recall that after hearing the reason I did not change my practice of carrying a fully loaded pistol.

1 Like

The geometry is so small that it doesn’t take much. This snap cap chip-out brought my pistol to a grinding stop last week:

3 Likes

Perhaps I am missing something. try this. load mag into firearm, run 1 cartridge into barrel, remove mag, add 1 cartridge into mag. Full mag & 1 in the tube…so not 1 short but mag plus 1…

4 Likes

Operator error.

That doesn’t look good, but you are right, the tolerances are made to fit so perfectly that any small piece of metal getting in the way can cause an issue.

Did that damage your extractor at all?

1 Like

No damage to the extractor. The slide would only move back a slight amount and jam/lockup in place. Field striping and reassembling “fixed” the problem, but I did not find the snap cap chip out when I field striped it. I believe it fell out thru the magazine well and blended into the carpet :slight_smile:

I have not made it back to the range to test it, but have function checked loading and unloading cartridges, disconnector/trigger reset, thumb and grip safeties, etc. and all seems well. The only scratch indicator I have found is on the section of the slide that operates the disconnector. What appears to be a scratch in the firing pin safety groove (Series 80 1911) is a stamped “S”.

1 Like

Great post.

For my semi’s, I switch out my first racked round every now and then when I suspect, see or feel even the most slightest wear and tear even over time, even if invisible to the naked eye. Before I load it, I mark my chambering/chambered casing with a permanent marker, to distinguish it as a chambered round. There are some good educational videos out there on this topic.

Stay safe.

---- Non-expert, btw

2 Likes

I never have seen it either.

1 Like

You only have one spare mag? I won’t say what immediately comes to mind because it is unkind. Personally I like an even half dozen mags at a minimum. First thing I do upon acquiring a new (or used) firearm that takes a magazine is to acquire additional mags. Don’t wait twenty years to suddenly feel the need for more mags. You will find that they are no longer available or are so pricey one needs to take out a mortgage to acquire them. This was one of my lessons at the School of Hard Knocks, the best teachers in the world.

You do realize that without a mag you have an awkward single shot? A Thompson Contender will run faster than your single shot Flock (no not a typo). And if you have a Peepuls Republic of Kallyfornikadia you can’t even fire it single shot unless you can remove the magazine disconnect in which case you are way ahead with a Contender.

1 Like

Most humans are limited by funding. I am and I’m not sure I own 1/2 dozen to anything other than my 92s, as they each came with a few.

2 Likes

Hi Brad: I would rather have one firearm requiring a magazine with multiple magazines as opposed to several firearms with only one mag each. The magazine is the most vulnerable part of your battery. The lips get spranged, the spring gets tired or, horror of horrors, you somehow lost the thing. As I pointed out in my original post, you now have an awkward to use single shot. You have 92s plural but no extra magazines? That would be high on my list of must-haves. I speak from hard experience when I say that as soon as 20 years after the manufacture date, some magazines are either impossible to find or are priced at more than the firearm cost brand new. I had a Beretta that fell into that category. I also have an early Smith that every once in a blue moon Smith runs off a batch of magazines for that are quickly snapped up and if one doesn’t move with lightening speed, one gets an “out of stock” notice when trying to order. Another first hand lesson from the School of Hard Knocks. Get replacement mags and make sure they work with your firearm before storing them away.

Not sure where you’re going, man. I have plenty of extra magazines.

In the context of our present discussion, a spare magazine is the one a person might carry in addition to the one in their pistol. I don’t carry one. Many folks do. A few civilians might carry more than one spare on a regular basis. Hopefully, all will have as many extra magazines socked away as their budget and prudence allow. If you are carrying a half dozen reloads on you at all times, more power to you. I guess.

The actual exchange between Gary, Tim, David, and me was about how to chamber a round — and whether to leave the magazine in the pistol a round short, or to fill it back up. Like many traditional topics, a debate never really resolved — but nothing about how many magazines a person might own.

4 Likes