First time shooting 1911

Fired a 1911 for the first time today. I recently acquired a Tisas 1911.

I always clean and lube a new gun. While learning how to disassemble and reassemble the gun, I just kept thinking “this is why Glocks are a thing”.

Went to the range today, and that thing is a tax driver just like everyone said it was. My 2nd mag I’m I was hitting a small target at 15 yds out.

Cleaning and living was a lot easier today after having done it yesterday.

I did have 2 malfunctions. The first malfunction was failure to lock back. This only occurred with my Wilson combat mag. My stock Tisas mag had zero issues locking back. Not sure why that is.

I had one failure to feed around round 97. I just chalked that up as needing to break the gun in and possible limp wrist if when tired.

I LOVE this gun. Though I never judged someone for carrying it before, I really see why some people stay loyal to this platform. It won’t replace my Glock for EDC, but it is a darn good gun.

Also: @KillJoy helped me avoid the “Idiot Mark” not that your an idiot if you have one :joy::rofl:.

24 Likes

Well come to the brotherhood of the 1911!

Cheers,

Craig6

13 Likes

Yaaaaa another convert, St. Browning is clapping. I wont say it but “we told ya so”…
Good luck and happy shooting. :+1:

10 Likes

I just keep thinking, “this is how we know Glocks are not the only thing!”
:yum:
Have fun! :boom: :boom: :boom:

8 Likes

Congrats on your 1911 !

Be patient with it. Remember, it is TISAS. You will have some malfunctions at the beginning.

If you are already familiar with field strip, give it a really good cleaning and lubing… and don’t treat it same way as Glock !
1911 doesn’t run dry :point_up:

Wilson Combat magazine are great, but I’ve experienced similar issue with mine.
Take them apart, give a good lube, they should be fine after that. Check if the feed lips are molded the same as in original magazines.

Happy 1911 Shooting ! :metal:

Next step… 2011 :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

6 Likes

Welcome to the club :grin:

7 Likes

Happiness is a warm 1911 in the palm of your hand! There’s just something natural about the way it fits, hits and sits on the hip!

9 Likes

Love my 1911’s. They can be a bit picky about magazines. Most of mine work well with stock or Tripp Cobra mags. One only works best with Mec Gar… You might try a few different mags, and make sure you are not pushing down on the slide stop when you shoot.

4 Likes

I bought the Wilson Combat mags for my SA RO, and had some minor issues as well. I buffed the lips and cleaned and lubed the mag and had no more issues. Good luck and welcome to the wonderful world of 1911s.

4 Likes

@Steven194 I get cleaning the mag, but why lube? Won’t that attract dirt and such?

4 Likes

I always put a little oil on the spring, for the most part, I put at least a hand rubbed ‘lite’ coat on all metal parts. I’m a Gulf Coaster, high humidity makes everything want to rust, so everything metal gets at least a little.

4 Likes

I put an oil on my mags as well. Wilson Combat magazines needs some time to run smoothly.
Yes. Lube attracts dirt and residues… but that’s why we clean them later… don’t we? :wink:

5 Likes

Not so much carry mags, but my practice magazines are in the dirt all the time. It’s nice to be able to just shake them out and carry on without accumulating grits and bits.

I give a shot of “dry-lube” spray after the disassembly cleaning of a magazine, or sometimes CLP that I wipe out as much as I can. I’m in a dry environment, so I’m not sure what works best in salt or humid climates if stainless steel or plastic doesn’t cut it.

2 Likes

I clean mags all along, but never lube them. To each his own huh?

4 Likes

My father has a Springfield one I might try too. The only reason I don’t think it was my hand on the slide release is because #1 it failed to lock back one time I fired the mag with one hand. #2 it wouldn’t lock back when I pulled the slide back. I had to reseat the Wilson combat mag to get it to start locking back again.

2 Likes

Congratulations on your new 1911. I have been looking into getting into that platform as well.

5 Likes

Forensic_Wow, your seem to be on the right track. A few suggestions…

1. Find training in defensive pistol combat and take sign up several times a year. Included in that training, find a training facility that offers force-on-force laser guns and shock vests (a vest or a belt that delivers a painful shock when you are hit). Also useful is IDPA competition (International Defensive Pistol Association). It is critically important to seriously raise the pucker factor in training.

2. I think the advice from one of the commenters about helping the guy is highly dangerous. Something to know about the criminal mind whether adjudicated or aspiring: they excel at deception.

3. As to high lumen LED lights: (a) Light reflected back at you diminishes your own vision. (b) A light mounted on your gun or held in your support grip becomes a beacon for shoot-me-here. (c) Best to hold the light in you support hand with arm extended far to the side at approximately shoulder height. (d) In low-light/no-light close quarter battle – up to 10 yards, say – 300 lumens, especially in a home, is plenty enough to severely diminish your attacker’s vision. Test it for yourself. Have a partner point 300 lumens at you in your home. (e) All things considered, however, you better have a light if a light is needed to positively visually identify who is in front of you before you shoot.

My experience with several 1911s is they have a steep feed ramp that can cause hollow points to fail to feed into battery. I found that Pow’R Ball (165 gr, 1225 fps) solved the steep ramp problem. Aside from that, my Kimber TLE has put surely more than 10,000 rounds down range in the dirt without a malfunction. And by the way, be sure to practice and train with some of your carry rounds in addition to your range rounds.

When I train in the field, my emergency reload empty mags drop onto the gritty sandy deck. I’ve never cleaned or lubed my mags. I’ve never have never had a mag malfunction caused by a dirty mag; only because of a follower or lips deformed from rambunctious use. My 1911 mags are from Kimber.

As to other matters of cleaning and lube of the 1911, if you can’t keep her all that clean (I easily run a thousand rounds and more in a 2-day training before I clean her), at least keep her wet.

1 Like

Be careful, they multiply, and can get costly. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

7 Likes

I have carried primarily a 1911 for 40 years. Never liked the Glock until I finally built one, they are simple and have decent accuracy. But it recently picked up a double stack 45 and a double stack 9mm in the 1911 platform. Can’t beat them. Take care of them and they will take care of you.

Welcome to the 1911 family.

3 Likes

I have carried my Aotu Ordinance 1911 45acp for over 50 years and with proper cleaning and lube and the only problem is some bad ammo that would not fire so I learned to reload and duplicate factory loads and never had a problem since. I’m the kind of person that keeps my guns as ready as can be at a moment notice, so after shooting I field strip the said guns and have them ready for the trip home, then put all away like Guns and cleaning kit, then I get cleaned up because shooting guns will leave spent gun power and smoke so it’s a good thing to clean it off. Remember Stay Alert and don’t get hurt. :cowboy_hat_face::statue_of_liberty::us::elephant::+1:

2 Likes