Good 1911

I am on the fence about a good EDC 1911 I am a navy veteran and I love the way the 1911 feels and shoots. Do y’all recommend a high end like Kimber or a lower end like Tisas of Rock Island. I have read reviews. Just not sure which for an Every day carry.

8 Likes

I’m not much of a 1911 guy, but…Kimber is not high end.

I’m targeting a Dan Wesson personally for a somewhat-high-end at some point.

For an inexpensive that gets good reviews, that tisas is $300 today at PSA

https://palmettostatearmory.com/sds-imports-45-acp-semi-automatic-pistol-blk-1911a1.html

6 Likes

Yes that Tisas for 300 is the one I was talking about. Just trying to make up my mind on that one or the Kimber I have shot a few time which is the Shadow Ghost LW. Plus my budget doesn’t allow for anything over 1000 right now

2 Likes

I own a full size and a compact, both Rock Island Armory. Can’t go wrong with the brand if you’re on a budget.
Can’t comment on the Tisas because Kalifornia.

6 Likes

Welcome to the community @Mark815

Good luck on your 1911 hunt. I’d like to get one someday myself but am leaning towards the double stack 9mm versions.

5 Likes

I have looked at a couple of the 9 mm versions but I already have a 9mm and right now I am just trying to get different calibers before I start doubling up on them. After I get a 1911 my next pistol will be a revolver.

3 Likes

I have had mine for 5 years, a set of wood grips and some polishing and it has run flawlessly. I see it has gone up $200.00 since I got mine.

Taurus 1911 (taurususa.com)

TAURUS 1911

45 ACP Stainless Full

MSRP $: 863.33

6 Likes

Yes I have seen a couple Rock Islands and from what I have seen Tisas are just as good.

2 Likes

Kimber Fan Here. Can’t go wrong with a Kimber.

8 Likes

That’s my opinion as well just having a hard time trying to fit that much into the budget I guess I should’ve asked what people thought about a $300 1911 as an EDC hahah

4 Likes

Good luck with whatever you decide.

5 Likes

Agreed, quality for a good price.

7 Likes

There is not a such thing as bad 1911 pistol. Even $200 one will do the job.
However, whenever everyday protection of human life is the main role - I’d skip everything below $1,000.

I’m a huge fun of high end 1911/2011 pistols as EDC tool. But I can also realize that not everyone is willing to spend $2k or more.
What I’d suggest these days is Kimber KDS9C. Best compact size 1911 in this price range. It’s like Wilson Combat on Black Friday’s sale. :ok_hand:

7 Likes

I can’t comment on 1911s specifically, but I can say that I have owned 6 handguns that sold new for $300 to $425 each from three different makers. Every one of them proved to be just as accurate, reliable, and durable as models going for double and triple those prices. I would, and have, cc’d all of them without a worry or second thought. At the range they each performed at least as well as the higher-priced guns.

I believe that until you reach the level of custom, hand finished pieces, the “cheap” ones can be every bit as good as the “expensive” ones. Don’t get suckered in by their hype, or pay extra just for a name.

7 Likes

Staccato CS is delicious. Big $$$ though!

7 Likes

I’ve owned 8 Kimber 1911s and several of their rifles over the years and still have 4-5 of their guns around and they have all been exceptional guns. They are not considered high end guns anymore but they are in the same league as other great makers like Springfield Armory and Colt. You could easily get to the $5,000 range with true high end makers like Wilson Combat and others.

Tisas are gaining a solid reputation with many people I trust and after a thorough checkout I would not hesitate to carry one.

I don’t do straight GI 1911s, they were designed for a low grip hold they used to years ago in the Armed forces and I choke up on them and get bit bad. At the very least a good fighting 1911 needs a beaver tail safety, a good trigger, an extended thumb safety, good sights and a flat mainspring housing to end up on my belt. These are features that already there on every Kimber.

12 Likes

My firearms mentor put it like this, she said “You carry Kim with you everyday, You Know if you have to apply her you’ll never see her again. Maybe you should carry that Springfield instead.”.

8 Likes

@Mark815 Welcome to the community. Kimber 1911s are nice. I’m always eye balling Colt 1911 or Berretta 1911, just can’t make up my mind. Presently, I have a Sig P320 full size, and Sig P365 compact.

7 Likes

Love my Custom II

6 Likes

Hello and welcome @Rob183

4 Likes