Good 1911

Welcome I have carried a Kimber for over 15 years and love it, started out with an Ultra Carry and last year bought a 4" Raptor. The ultra carry is an aluminum frame and as many rounds I have put through it I decided to get a steel frame. The only time I ever had a miss feed was some hand cast reloads and that was all. By the way I am POGO ,pants on gun on so I carry alot. You can’t go wrong with a Kimber.

5 Likes

Welcome

4 Likes

I have heard about the hammer bite that some people do get from the straight G1911 and that is a consideration and why I haven’t bought it yet

4 Likes

Lot of people knock em…but a RIA 1911 is both my old lady’s and my daily carry.10mm is my caliber of choice.

9 Likes

I haven’t heard anything bad about them. I shot a Kimber and I do like the way it shoots but I guess my question should’ve been would or does anyone EDC a $300 1911

5 Likes

People do. IDK if anyone in here does, but, people do. I don’t, but that’s because I don’t and wouldn’t choose to carry a pistol with a manual safety or such low capacity. Personal preference. (not because of the price, those other factors)

6 Likes

I’m considering RIA as a middle class 1911. I’ve got them but those are just range pistols. Do I trust them? Yes. Never had a problem, once I set them up to my needs just after 100 shot rounds. RIA is not a perfect pistol straight out of the box.
RIA pistols don’t work great as a concealed weapon. There are tons of other options that work much better these days.

BTW
I suggested Kimber KDS9C, but there’s another great pistol to consider - Dan Wesson (or like some people prefer CZ) DWXC model.

4 Likes

I open carry so size isn’t a problem for me.My old lady has a concealed carry purse.Ive put more than a thousand rounds through mine.Maybe 500 or so through hers.I bought both to be carry guns.I own a colt and a Kimber… don’t want to scratch those up.

8 Likes

Both the RIAs are 16 round double stacks.Ive learned to switch the safety off as I draw,so used to it I don’t even think about it…kind of instinctive after all these years.

9 Likes

16 rounds…that changes things a bit. Now that I scroll back up to those, they are pretty fat in the grip lol that’s no single stack 7+

7 Likes

I am not against Dan Wesson just don’t have the money for that and the Kimber I am looking at is 800 but it’s nice and smooth feels good in hand. But again it’s still a high price.

7 Likes

It’s only an issue with the thin GI grip safety and spur hammer. I do have older 1911s that I don’t carry as EDC and I love shooting a piece of history but I wrap a few layers of waterproof surgical tape on the web of my hand and I’m good to go.

The main difference between an $800 Kimber and a $300 Tisa will be those “upgraded that I talked about. Sights are incredibly important and there will also be a difference in the finish of the final product. The Tisas I’ve examined were a little gritty and the triggers were rough. Kimber and others in the price range will come clean from the factory and will have a great trigger that with a little running will be exceptional.

That’s where the extra la or goes into. Plus made in the USA. BUT, I would have NO problem EDCing a Tisa if that’s what I had :+1:

Ps. You could buy a Tisa and then fit the upgrades to it yourself. Parts are plentiful, planet of instructional videos and you’ll learn some basic gunsmithing in the process. But now your investing time and money that starts creeping towards the price point of a Kimber or a RIA which already have the upgrades.

5 Likes

Yeah. I understand this. I was in the same moment few years ago. Thinking about reliability, comfort and $$$ in my wallet.
It took me 3 or so years to realize the best move ever was to wait couple months, save some $$$, sold all the pistols that actually never worked for me (as I was expected) and buy something that fits my expectations:

• reliability
  • not complicated / easy to use
  • ready to work right out of the box
  • no adjustments needed
  • no aftermarket modification required
  • 10 rds minimum

I ended up with Staccato, however DWXC was my first choice (unfortunately production was postponed for almost 2 years) .

I know everyone has own opinions, thoughts and experience, but whoever asks me about advice, all these above are the facts I believe in. Those especially apply to 1911 / 2011 Carry World.

6 Likes

I have a Kimber 1911 and it has been flawless. I would like a Smith & Wesson at some point.

6 Likes

That is true but not sure if the basic model sights are changeable. But I am very open to everything y’all are saying and very appreciative thank you

2 Likes

My dad has a custom Springfield I have shot and it is a good one too

2 Likes

They are you just need the right tools or give it to gunsmith. Not an expensive job,

4 Likes

Welcome aboard!

All my handguns are Kimber. 1911 guy since 1977. Fit, feel, durability, history, conceal ability, reliability ( despite what the Glock crowd thinks ) not to mention Kimber’s A+ customer service, IMHO.

EDC = Kimber Ultra Raptor II .45ACP been attached to my hip for 15+ years, 24/7/365 has never failed after the first 100 rounds.
I consider Kimber to be middle of the road.
Nighthawk, Wilson, Bauer and Dan Wesson I consider high end!

8 Likes

I carry exactly the same gun but my wife gifted me a set of elephant ivory grips (when they were legal to buy) to dress it up. One of my favorite Sunday-Go-To-Meeting guns :+1::+1:

7 Likes

I use Springfield as a benchmark when evaluating 1911’s. Look at their line-up and select the one with the size and features you are looking for. For CC purposes the EMP is a good starting point. When you see another make you think you might like, compare the features between the two. Keep score. One point to the firearm scoring the highest for each of your criteria. Chances are cost may be the deciding factor, but it shouldn’t be the sole driver. Obviously, the more models you can get to shoot will help a lot in your deliberation. Or just go ahead and buy the Springfield. Hard to go wrong. My latest shown here: :grin:

10 Likes