Kimber Asked For Feedback On Their CCW Firearms

And some of the comments are pretty brutal:

Kimber - Home | Facebook

3 Likes

They make a beautiful pistol.

4 Likes

Funny :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

I have had zero issues with my Kimber. And for what I paid for it, not a bad deal for a 1911. I did have to remove the Swartz (sp) nightmare from it, but other than that, a solid 1911. I have heard nightmare stories about some Kimbers, and I certainly would not pay the retail price that I see in the stores locally.

2 Likes

I love these tales of zero problems & then the rest of the story.

4 Likes

The Swartz stuff I removed was not causing an issue, just something I don’t think the gun needs.

That said, I would not seek out a Kimber as an EDC, unless it was a used one I could try before I bought. I hear a lot of bad about them, the 2 or 3 I have shot functioned great.

3 Likes

I have zero issues with my shot show 1911 from them. Maybe it’s because I’m a lefty😉

2 Likes

My father in law has a micro 9 from kimber he was having issues with. Trouble working the slide and ftf or stovepipes. He is 78 and doesn’t make it to the range often so figured it was a combo of weak hands and needed a few rounds run through it as a ‘break in’. Over the course of about 4 weeks and several range trips, I put not quite 1000 rounds through it(200-300 every trip, 4 trips) and it never got past the stovepipes and ftf. I also have a sig p938 and in my opinion the two guns are basically identical. After the 3rd trip with the kimber I took my sig along to see if it was ammo issues or the gun. Same ammo and not a single issue with the sig and repeated issues with the kimber using the same ammo for both. Having at least one ftf or stovepipe every mag in a 7 round mag makes an extremely unreliable gun in my opinion. Gave the Kimber back to FIL and recommended he send it back for work or get rid of it. Let him shoot my sig and he is looking at replacing his kimber. That is the only experience I have had with kimber but it is enough to make me leery of purchasing a kimber in the future.

7 Likes

The little Sig 938 is hard to beat for a little single stack.

5 Likes

Kimbers are like Jaguars - all status and no reliability. Trainer/instructor Greg Ellifritz has said more than once he has yet to see a Kimber run a full high-round course without multiple failures, particularly the micro compacts.

2 Likes

I had a Kimber 45 auto Ultra Carry 2. I sold it for 300 cash and put the rest in to get the original 9mm M&P Shield which I still own and love. The Kimber was a nice looking gun and I paid $850 for it but I didn’t like the way the used the slide stop/release as the take down lever for field stripping the gun. It used to scratch my slide. For an expensive gun like that it should have been better designed. I was disappointed. But I don’t regret getting rid of it.

2 Likes

That is how pretty much every 1911 is designed. It takes a little bit of care to avoid scratching the gun. I would have snagged that gun for $300! Glad you found a gun you like.

4 Likes

I had the same problems with the Ruger LC380 and Sig P320. The Ruger would almost always FTE and never chamber the last 2 rounds no matter what ammunition I put in it. Sent it off to Ruger and they sent it back after running 44 rounds through it, they said their was no problem with it. The P320 would not shoot Sig ammunition, FTE’s all day long. Tried everything thing from Speer to Tula and between, nothing changed. Sig, as Ruger, said there was nothing wrong with it.
Bought a G19 Gen 4, not 1 FTE, will shoot ANY ammunition I put through it. 4000+ rounds later still shoots perfectly.
Firearms are some peculiar things🤔

5 Likes

I have a Kimber EVO SP 9mm. Honestly speaking it’s as close to perfect as it can get. Bought it brand new and have about 1000 rounds through it. The 2 0r 3 times it didn’t cycle right were in the first 100 or so rounds after that its as close to perfectly reliable as any of my other compact, second only of my Ruger LCR .38spcl.

4 Likes

I have found similar issues with my kimber micro 9, if I run FMJ’s through my kimber, functions great. Hollow points are a jam session. My sig p365 can eat anything with no issues.

4 Likes

If the same ammo works in one gun, but not another, that doesn’t necessarily make it a “gun problem”. I have a Kimber Micro380 which has run thousands of rounds trouble free with a variety of brands and bullets. Then I tried some Sig Sauer V-Crown and had multiple FTF, especially from a full mag — repeated same problem from a couple boxes, from a couple lots, and returned to full function with other ammo.

I measured and examined the rounds and found that the bullet shape of the V-Crown was noticeably different from everything else I had been using — and concluded that something about the feed ramp/barrel hood was hanging those bullets as they tried to feed. While that might be something the pistol “should” do better, I considered it an ammo problem, not a gun problem — since 9 out of 10 options ran just fine. Sig was good enough to make me whole on the ammo purchase.

Make sure you’re testing different ammo in the same gun, as well as same ammo in different guns, before deciding where the problem lies (also magazines, springs, cleanliness, etc — which all have a history of feeding issues in 1911-style pistols).

3 Likes