Your thoughts on this Kimber 1911

I also saw an M&P .45 ACP and others

1 Like

I carry a Kimber ultra crimson carry ll 1911 with a 3inch barrel chambered in 45ACP, have hat for 8 years and have had no problems with, shoots great, I shoot 230 grains rounds.

2 Likes

Kimber is quality, great customer service, I own many Kimber 1911’s. Reliable, accurate and fun to shoot ( break in period required) ,if you can get your hands on that at the threshold of a communist overthrow, grab as many as you can afford.
Your major problem, because the invasion is only days away, is ammo!
I’m selling my .45 acp ammo at $45.00 a round or $2,250 for a box of 50, 10 box minimum, free shipping.
I’ll just need your credit card number, mothers maiden name, color of your first pet, the CVV code, last four digits of your SSN, your IP address, physical address (for speedy delivery), and of course the routing number and banking information, the first movie where you kissed a girl or whomever, and of course
( I’m required to Ask) have you ever been a felon, if so you receive 10% off your next order, yes, we ship to prisons in Kalifornia, Chicago and New York.
Only 11 left in stock, order now! Did I mention that’s cash only, all the other stuff is so I can track your further purchases!
Kimber is an awesome manufacturer, no bells and whistles on the one you pictured! But worthwhile owning!

2 Likes

I own several Kimbers and have owned a bunch of them over the years, ALL of them excellent guns. Actually, I was shooting an original vintage first generation (no firing pin safety) Compact this very morning (all steel gun, 4" slide with the Officers frame). I think I’ve made it clear over several threads that I am a Kimber fan going on probably 3 decades now. I really believe they knocked out of the park with their new LW model both on features AND on price point!

5 Likes

Okay! I’m sold. I’ll add you to my iPhone family so you can GPS track me too. I’ll include you as primary on my life insurance as well. Should I betroth my teen daughter as well, or would you prefer my son?

2 Likes

Since you’re the first to respond, cold hard cash will do. I sent this ad out to 73,000,000 people, in hopes of escaping to an unknown island!

1 Like

Looks like a nice gun, my only issue would be if it has front strap checkering, I can’t tell in the photo. Would be a deal breaker for me, but that is just personal preference. Sending a gun to get the front strap checkered and refinishing can be a bit spendy.

But, some folks don’t mind a smooth front strap, some use grip tape. I have been very happy with my one Kimber, a TLE 2. No issues with it at all.

1 Like

Kimber makes some really beautiful firearms. Can’t tell much from the photo but kind of a plain jane to me.

1 Like

I kinda favor the M&Ps because I have 5 M&P pistols. I have no experience with the one in the pic. I once did own a Kimber 45 Ultra Carry II. I personally did not like it so I sold it because the slide stop was the takedown lever and it would scratch the slide when I was removing it.

2 Likes

Tell us how you really feel :laughing:

1 Like

Can anyone confirm what if this gun is aluminum or steel? I’m pretty sure it’s not plastic.And if aluminum will it be a problem?

1 Like

It’s an aluminum frame. Kimber has tested their alloy to tens of thousands of rounds with no appreciable wear. My oldest aluminum framed Kimber is an original UltraCarry (not a II) that has a pretty high round count through it and it’s as tight as the day it left the factory.

3 Likes

I’m sorry, apparently I’m tough to read. According to my wife the neighbors think I’m too intense… Don’t know why. They just don’t get me, I think it’s the mustache :grin:

4 Likes

Just my opinion… Although I like my Kimber and have a “II” model like the one in the pic (except all steel), I would steer you away from this particular model. Kimber doesn’t list the new LW models with the “II” in the name, so I’m assuming they don’t use the Swartz safety and might be a better option.

As I get more familiar with mine from working on or replacing components, the “II” models have a Swartz safety system which limits your options on some aftermarket firing pin replacements, a few have had timing issues from the factory that can result in the gun not firing when the trigger is pulled, and requires not touching the grip safety and keeping the firearm oriented upright when reassembling. This is assuming that everything else is 100%.

Additionally, if you plan on using this a lot at the range, there are some that say an aluminum frame isn’t great for high round counts (all brand Al frames)… especially considering the pressures the 1911 designs have on the slide stop frame holes for barrel lockup and the guide rod to frame impacts… not including different types of feeding ramps from different brands. Proper maintenance might reduce issues.

On the plus side, I think Kimber uses a ramped barrel for their aluminum framed 1911’s, and IIRC Kimbers without the “II” in their model numbers don’t have the Swartz safety system.

Also, I don’t know if Al frame + Kimber means complicated times if you want to replace grip bushings…

I’ll add, although I could give a list of some things to look for on the Kimber in the photo, I’m not ragging on Kimber, as every manufacturer has a couple models, runs, etc. that have had enough issues to raise eyebrows. I guess I’ll also mention, that Kimbers (at least in the past) have notoriously tight, pressed in sights if you are thinking of changing them yourself.

1 Like

Looks happy to me.

2 Likes

There you go!:grin:

1 Like

You are not joking there. I tried to remove mine with a sight pusher. Nope, would not budge. Sent it to a 'smith friend. He said it was tough, but got it. Something about how they mill the slide for the sight. Can be done, but not easy.

2 Likes

Just purchased the new LW have to say it is the best and I also own 5 other Kimbers love them all…Tim

2 Likes