Good 1911

He sure has a stubby (***k) errr… barrel. :thinking:

2 Likes

SDS Imports Tisas 1911 A1 US Army 45 ACP Pistol - Blue/Black, 5" Barrel, 7+1 Rounds. Do they have 4.5" barrels and mag that hold 12 rounds or woukd I need to get a 2011?

What do any of you think of this 1911? Ive never shot one or really wanted one, but thinking a 45cal might be a good idea. I have my Sig P365XL and love it. 17+1.

4 Likes

Kimber Custom II 45 ACP Pistol - 5" Barrel, 8+1 Rounds, Rubber Grips, 3-Dot Sights. Maybe this one??

5 Likes

@Rob183 Welcome to the community.

2 Likes

After a couple years at the range, the cost of the firearm will be the least expensive part of ownership. Get the right handgun, not what you can get away with and wish you had bought the other one. yolo

8 Likes

I bought a Colt 1911 Officers model on my 21’st birthday ( I actually paid for it 9 months earlier but couldn’t get it till I turned 21) 30 days later I took a hacksaw to it to fit a King’s recoil guide. Since then I have built probably 75+ 1911’s for fun, gifts and profit. My last project 1911 was a Rock Island Standard which still has some improvements to go but I have been busy.

You can see it here: Rebuilding my RIA: The VooDoo that I do

Having gone through everything from Colt’s to Springfield’s to Kimber to “pick a brand” the machining now’a days is all CNC and they are virtually identical. I like Rock Island simply for the history but in general most any MFG that makes a 1911 will give you good service. All can benefit from a throat and ramp job, rarely will you need a slide squeeze. Sights are a tap on - tap off affair get what you like. 1911’s have become LEGO guns much like the AR-15 IMHO if you are willing to work on them.

Cheers,

Craig6

8 Likes

10 years of gun ownership and I finally get it :man_facepalming:t4:

5 Likes

You should see my other pistol! Loaned it out for the movie!

9 Likes

Blew a hole as big as a .45 in that truck. :scream:

6 Likes

You can get the big name 1911’s, but with the Girsan 1911’s and other products, I like them quite a bit… they have the feel and quality more of the big name brands but the Girsans have been very popular.

My prefered 10mm is my Girsan Hunter 10mm 1911.

5 Likes

What’s the purpose of this pistol?
Collecting? Yes - go with it . It’s a part of great history.
Range toy? Yeah… but… it’s a part of history… not a modern firearm
Defense? Nope
Other? nothing in my mind… but still … Nope

Do you need 2011? I would say yes… perhaps not exactly 2011, but double stack 1911 is a great and wise choice.

Good choice, definitely better than Tisas A1 :slightly_smiling_face: But those rubber grips… you will change them sooner or later.

3 Likes

Is there such a thing as a “Bad” 1911??

5 Likes

I had a ATI that double fed rounds, for a day, bought a Kimber Shot Show the next day.

3 Likes

The answer was given 4 days ago. See Post 12.

2 Likes

Nope no bad 1911s

2 Likes

Purpose is a great question, but I’m curious as to why you think a 1911 in 10mm, 45ACP, or 38 Super is NOT suitable for defense.
It seems to me that 100+ years of success gainsays that idea.
I have carried a 1911 on and off for a few decades and no one has killed me yet. That I know of… :wink:

5 Likes

1911 is suitable for anything. With any caliber. But this is not a XX Century anymore and with all the models and features offered by modern 1911, 1911DS and 2011 pistols using “Tisas 1911 A1 US Army 45 ACP Pistol - Blue/Black, 5" Barrel, 7+1 Rounds” will be the very last model considered for defense.
Reasons? Capacity and basic / old 1911 design (which is not 100% reliable).
Talking about calibers - any caliber will do defensive job… but having variety options - I’m going with 9mm. Not expensive and is giving enough energy to stop the threat.

100+ years of success is not a term I’m buying anymore. Yes, the basic idea of 1911 pistol is still the same. But modern 1911 pistol is not the same as 1911 from WWI or WWII.

4 Likes

I’ve has very good service (about 40 years worth) from a Colt Series 80 Combat Government Model.
I did swap out the four collet bushing for a stock one and added some quality magazines (CheckMate,
Chip McCormick) to the fleet, but that’s all.
The only issue I had was with Walmart/Federal aluminum case ammo, and that was once.

6 Likes

I’ve used a few Series 70 1911’s. I suppose they are more modern than the 1911A1, but not in any substantial way.

No pistol is 100% reliable. My 1911’s have been extremely reliable, but I am very attentive to the maintenance, care, and feeding of a 1911. True, the 1911 does need a bit more attention than a Glock.

The capacity issue doesn’t excite me much. In my 38 Super Colt 1911, I carry 9+1. I almost never feel the need to carry a spare magazine. Even 7+1 of 45 Auto feels adequate to me, for my circumstances, and I don’t bother to carry a spare mag.

I took a bunch of novice youngsters to the range a few months ago. They got to shoot a variety of pistols: a S&W Shield, Sig P365, Glock 19, and 1911. Each preferred shooting the 1911 and all shot the 1911 better. That is something to consider.

Today I was carrying a .357 DA revolver. Arguably less modern than a 1911. Didn’t need it, but was glad to have it with me. Compared to a six-gun, the 1911 is a modern marvel! :laughing:

My arguments against the 1911 would be that it is big and heavy. Any firearm that becomes a bit of an anchor is more likely to be left at home and not available when needed. Otherwise, I still think a well maintained 1911 is as good a fighting pistol as there is. :v:

7 Likes

Perhaps, but I have multiple pistols currently over the 4,500 round mark with 0 malfunctions, stoppages, or issues of any kind whatsoever for any reason or any excuse, ever. That’s, getting there. I just need to actually shoot more and keep the same guns longer to get those numbers up

6 Likes