Multiple carry guns?

I generally carry a single gun iwb. I think appendix carry is cool but I cannot bring myself to try it. I do have friends that carry midsized pistols & a backup pocket pistol (like the DB9 & Taurus Spectrum). If the moment should come (& I hope it never does), I’ll take my chance with my single firearm & backup magazines. :v:t5:

3 Likes

@Dawn, I have a Bond Arms Wicked with .45 Colt/410, .45 ACP, and 9mm barrels. One should do the job. Now if I could just figure how to install all at once, snakes beware. Of course I’ll need a new arm afterward.

2 Likes

One of my many mantras is: same gun, same location, same mode of readiness always.

I do not flip and flop guns. They arent fashion accessories. I do not change how or where I carry my gun based on my clothes, but instead choose my clothes based on my gun. Carrying a gun isnt something you do, it is a lifestyle choice.

In a high stress situation I favor consistency and muscle memory.

Those who switch up their carry gun very often place themselves at a disadvantage in my opinion. The person who carries two guns needs to train twice as much, and let’s face it most people dont even train enough for the one.

7 Likes

I’ve got to admit that for concealed carry I have worn a Colt Officer’s Model behind my right hip just over my wallet since 1988. I have also carried various pistols in drop leg holsters for “business” purposes for 20+ years long before Tacticool was cool. Only in Iraq and Trashcanistan did I carry a cross vest pistol on my plate carrier for ease of access while seated in “pick a vehicle”. I’ve tried shoulder rigs, ankle holsters and similar but was never comfortable with them. The only time I carried two guns at once was when working overseas where the silly folks at the front door of several facilities required you to surrender your “duty firearm” which meant my pistol in the drop leg rig (open carry) got surrendered, the one behind my right hip stayed right there. So consistency does matter and I agree with @AlphaKoncepts same gun, same place even if you have to train or are required to carry in different locations with different platforms you must train all that much harder.

Cheers,

Craig6

2 Likes

Glock 43 on left ankle. Was a Glock 26 at 4 o’clock. Recently changed to Glock 48.

1 Like

@AlphaKoncepts, I’ve handled a huge inventory of tools my entire adult life. I agree with training and muscle memory, but there are appropriate tools for specific jobs. I generally carry one specific concealed weapon, but I continue my training on several. One may fit a particular situation better than others. I prefer and feel most confident with full size weapons, but if I will be doing a lot of moving and stretching or in fairly confining spaces, this may not be my best choice.
Back to my tool statement. So often I have seen people use the wrong tool for a job; maybe pliers instead of a wrench, or the wrong size wrench, or using a wrench or pliers as a hammer. Though the job may get finished, there may be incorrect torque which can cause failure. There may be damage to the part or unnecessary damage to surrounding parts or areas.
I guess you get my parallel. I may change my carry weapon, but I will have trained well with it first. I own hundreds of tools, but have extensive training with all of them. I know exactly in what compartment and in what spot in that compartment to find a particular tool. I don’t even have to look. By instant feel I know what condition the tool is in, and if it is ready to be used. I can bring it into play and finish the action needed with that tool without fumbling around or damaging anything. I don’t want to grab a 24" adjustable wrench to get into a confined space and make a small adjustment to a tiny fastener.

1 Like

@Bugleboy Of course there are always exceptions to every rule. For example, if you sometimes switch between let’s say a p320 compact and a p320 sub compact. Their sizes are nearly the same, their controls are in the same locations and require the same maneuvers and forces to operate. When this rule of consistency really comes into play is when you flip flop platforms such as a glock one day, a 1911 the next and a Baretta 92 the next, and sometimes a revolver. All the controls on these particular firearms are different, and those are just a few examples, I could rattle off a much longer list.

While firearms absolutely are tools and there is always a right tool for the job, the difference between your plumbing wrench and a gun is the fact that when selecting a wrench you have ample time to examine and determine which is the best tool for the job. If you grab the wrong wrench you can put it back and grab the proper wrench. However when drawing your firearm extending and pressing, and needing to do this in preferably 1 second or less, you aren’t afforded that time. Forgetting to disengage the safety can cost you your life. Being used to a heavy trigger and suddenly carrying a lighter trigger WILL lead to negligent discharges in my experience. Trying to change the mags when you’re used to a traditional American magazine release button and now you’re suddenly carrying with the HK style flappy paddles is a recipe for disaster.

I’ve come to the conclusion that muscle memory and consistency trumps all other variables in a high stress situation through my own training. Two examples, I always carry my mags on my left hip. However I was training with a buddy and for what ever reason I switched the mags to my vest. Every time I went for a mag change I would first go to my hip, and then look down and go for my vest. This added about 1 second to my mag changes. This experience lead me to discover that carrying on my hip one day and appendix the next, and my ankle the next was detrimental to my survival.

I am not alone. I also watch competition on TV. I was watching an IDPA match, and the gun and magazine locations are staged as defined by the stage designer. In this case, the stage called for gun and mag to be on the table infront of you. On buzzer pick up the gun, load the magazine. Want to guess how many competitors went for the magazine on their belt, which wasn’t there, before picking up the magazine on the table?

Another example, I am a striker fire gun kinda guy. I was competing with my buddy’s 1911. Forgetting the safety was a real issue because I hadn’t carried a manual safety in years, and when I did it was a different kind of safety. Further, I had my first and only ND with that gun, because the trigger was so incredibly crisp it broke with just a flinch vs the 5# trigger on my p320 which I have thousands of presses. That’s not to say a glock or a p320 is better than a nigh hawk custom. It is to say they are different animals and flip flopping was a dis service to me because I didn’t have the muscle memory necessary to be unconsciously competent with that platform.

Think of it like this. I can shoot both the AR and the AK. I’m better with the AR because I shoot it more than the AK. The controls are different. When I reload with my AR, I can do it with no effort. When I reload with the AK I have to mentally walk through the steps. Again that’s not to say the AR is better than the AK, only that I have burned the muscle memory into my neural pathways. I am unconsciously competent with the AR and I am consciously competent with the AK.

I can take any weapon platform and be adequate with it on the range, but the range is nothing like a stressful situation, such as a situation I would be shooting to defend my life. I wish to afford myself every advantage possible and not purposely introduce any opportunities for mistake.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t flip flop my carry weapon. Good point well taken. But I have just a few that I feel safe using when carrying my CZ 75 clone (most comfortable shooter) isn’t a great choice. I have to be close in with groups of people who claim to be horrified of firearms and seem to enjoy calling attention if they realize I’m carrying. I have to be a little stealthy. Of course one of these got scared and called asking me to please come and come armed.
The only couple alternatives I would carry are the similar design ones that I’m familiar with. Don’t trash me, but I like a DA/SA with a decocker. I can quickly deploy a 1911 or a revolver, but this is my best comfort zone, so I stick with what my hand and fingers and mind just mate with.
So I guess mostly I would agree.
About having time to select and exchange wrong tools though…
I used to exist in an environment where my income was connected to a labor rate manual. If the manual allowed 30 minutes for a job, that’s what the job paid, even if it took an hour or all day…flat rate.
Working a 40 hour week, I could log 100 hours pay. Experience, knowledge, and fast hands will pay off.
To accomplish this, there is no room for indecision.
We know where each tool is and it’s in good ready condition. It isn’t difficult to do this well if we’re prepared and stay in the rhythm. It only takes a few mistakes to make a 100 hr week into a 30 hr week.
I guess that’s sort of like situational awareness. Like when my wife would tell the kids that I could tell you something about each person in the restaurant without turning to look. I’m not as good these days.
But I’m as good once as I ever was lol.

1 Like

And another thing lol. Just in case of tool failure, all my common use tools had backups. Ones I only used occasionally sometimes were loners. If the loner broke, someone would hand me a loaner. If this happened twice, I bought two replacements.
I don’t carry backups or hideouts, but now you got me thinking.

1 Like

I think this is spot on. I can see different carry guns, that are similar like a M&P full-size, to Compact, to the Shield. Same controls, same caliber, just a little frame size difference. That’s why I’ve carried the same gun, in the same 2 holsters for 3 years, 360 days a year. The other 5 days a year are deer season, and I carry a magnum revolver that I can harvest a deer with(Illinois laws, sheesh). I am still doing my research(read as, saving my extra nickels and dimes) to buy a 4 inch Shield in 45. It is so close to my 45C, just thinner, that it wouldn’t change anything as far as muscle memory goes.

1 Like

It’s pretty common for those of us who live in areas with seasons to have winter guns and summer guns - EDC changes by seasonal clothing. Personally I find sticking to common platform is more important than sticking to a particular gun model. I’m a Glock girl, the geometry fits my hand and my grip and the sight alignment is naturally accurate for me. But I am as comfortable, and as accurate with one Glock as another. I have carried the G21 and G30 .45, and the G19 9mm. Same controls, same geometry, same sights. I don’t carry the G21 in the summer because it’s just harder to conceal. All of them vanish in the carry corset - but that’s a bit warm for summer weather.

I’ve gotten rather fond of Caniks lately, but the TP9SFx with the optics is really not an ideal EDC - so while I could carry it I don’t. The new baby Canik (Elite SC) is on its way, however, and I will consider it as an EDC. It’s geometry is very similar to the Glocks, and my accuracy is naturally good with it, so that makes it an option… but we’ll see once it arrives.

I agree the muscle memory matters a LOT. I have other handguns I like shooting, but they’re not in my EDC list because of the difference in controls - I love shooting my Ruger P89, and I love the decocker on it, but it’s not a candidate for EDC because… decocker. I have a 1911 Para Warthog and I’m liking it a lot, but while it may end up being my truck gun, its unlikely to ever be my EDC because… controls are different.

Currently I don’t carry a BUG, but should I decide to start doing that, I’ll have to consider the common controls. and I like having everything use the same mags, so I don’t have any confusion there. Carrying all glock double stacks in the same caliber and in compatible gens lets me carry one set. That’s why I’m also getting a carbine conversion for the same glock platform - .45 double stack, gen 3/4… they all use the same mags.

I see that a bunch in WI - when it’s 100 and humid verses -15 and blustery guns carry differently. But I totally agree with carrying a very similar platform. I’ve switched carry styles and I’ve had to do a lot of training with the new style. I’m glad I switched!

1 Like

In New Mexico, back up guns are illegal. So…no. I don’t have one. I want one for Just In Case, but the politicians disagree.

3 Likes

I reload 38 Special with 8 shot for denser patterns. I have loaded some 4 shot but prefer denser patterns of 8 shot. I put 2 shots of snake loads followed by 3 slugs in my Ruger LCR snubnoses. I always carry 3 lcr revolvers. One 357 magnum and two 38 specials.

1 Like

My state allows up to 3 on a CCW permit, so I carry whichever weapon works best with what I’m wearing that day. We are also not allowed to carry more than one at a time.

1 Like

I’m sorry you live in such a restrictive state. I wonder tho. Does having one on your person and one in your vehicle count as multiple?

If you secure that vehicle firearm like regular people do I think it would be fine. You know, locked in a case, and empty. For California, to have a CCW is a very rare thing, particularly in certain cities.

1 Like

I myself have 2 conceal carry guns and do carry at 4 oclock position whether its iwb or owb. I never carry ankle because I feel if I had to draw my firearm from there I am wasting valuable time trying to draw it. I wish I could carry appendix because in my opinion that is the easiest way to access your firearm but as you get older you get this thing called an inherited tummy LOL.

As a rule I only carry one pistol appendix with spare mag in normal daily life (Hellcat). Once home I change to my s&w revolver appendix. If I’m traveling to the city a glock 22 in .40 rides next to my leg and is tucked at 6 o’clock when I exit the vehicle, this along with the Hellcat at appendix. I try not to visit the city much!!

What’s that saying, how you train is how you play. Do the same thing every time and you will be very good at one thing. When/if something disrupts that practiced flow then ‘unconsicous’ competence may just become a WTF moment. Like ‘hey the magazine is on the table and not on my belt’ example from earlier in this thread. When your training routine has become ‘so routine’ that all of the motions are unconsicous then it might be a good time to reintroduce an element variability. Your brain will develop neuro paths and if every time you do every thing exactly the same you will have one pathway. Introduce an unexpected variable when you only have one pathway (like real life will do) and you may be unpleasantly surprised by your inability to process it. Personally, I do carry different side arms depending on the day and I snap in with each (it no longer phases me if I sweep for a safety and it isnt there, the synapses are firing)
I always carry in the same location , firearm and mags. But when I’m ‘playing’ at the range I may change things up just to make sure I’m not a one trick pony, or at least I try to be a pony that can adapt. I have no doubt, I’m not the fastest in town, but I’m not expecting ‘Is the line ready / Shooter ready?’ and timers in a dark parking lot.

3 Likes