Malfunctions due to “limp wristing”

I have that same 9’m&p and I always thought bigger is better with 17,round magazines my APC 45 is the utility drawer for a hammer ! Drt rounds and THATS so much more accurate , and I had it for my old lady KAZ I needed a man’s gun till I lost a magazine a week ! To this day I have Velcro to hold the magazine in just in case that button gets pressed and my 17 ,plus 1 , is ,1 plus :question::question:another :bangbang:

1 Like

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

5 Likes

The whitish line is the edge of the desk’s shelf. The rest of the dark section by the line is the desk.

5 Likes

Not sure where this thread has gone ( or is going ). :thinking:

Update on the gun : I have decide to either (a) sell it ( if I can get a reasonable amount) or (b) relegate it to range use. Seeing that most of my range time goes toward training, option (a) is more appealing to me.

Either way, I will be shopping for a new full size handgun for home defense. Haven’t decided which one yet, but that’s a topic for a different post.

Merry Christmas!

6 Likes

I’ve watched this movie every Christmas for many years, and never even noticed the dog in that scene!

5 Likes

If you still like Walther products… go with PDP. :wink:

Merry Christmas.

6 Likes

SA XDM Elite

Shot one today. Love it😎

6 Likes

It’s not that I don’t like the PPQ 45. I have shot it very accurately. I just have an issue with malfunctions with this pistol, possibly caused by user error, but also may be caused by a magazine issue. Either way, I don’t trust it for a home defense gun, for me. Not saying it isn’t a good choice for someone else.
Also, I am gravitating toward standardizing my handguns to a common “ manual of arms”. Both of my carry guns are striker fired with thumb safeties, so considering something similar for my HD gun.

7 Likes

Good route to make all handguns similar. There are so many choices to choose from these days that you certainly find a good tool.

Regarding XDM, posted by @Karacal - that’s a great example how sometimes handgun doesn’t fit user’s hand.
I had a shooter in the class who experienced “dead trigger” almost every other shot. We tested the pistol, nothing wrong. We found than shooter’s grip (he had very proper grip) didn’t depress the grip safety on the XDM.
Next class he brought 2011 handgun and didn’t have single problem.

7 Likes

Reason #xyz8374 I am not a fan of grip safeties on defensive arms

7 Likes

SAFTY make sure chambered & your finger off the trigger and in great condition merry Christmas

3 Likes

I have stepped on my fourth pair of glasses and the auto correct on my phone just puts words that looks like the words that I am trying to spell and some times it just does what it says and by the time I reckon gone so I’m really not as stupid as I am RIGHT :question::astonished:marry CHRISTMASS Bobby Jean

4 Likes

I Under stood what I did not understand did anyone else not understand what I did try to say KAZ I tried to say what I could RIGHT

3 Likes

You sure cutie that’s enough merry Christmas I bet your packing just like that little twentie bird haw haw :paw_prints::paw_prints::paw_prints::paw_prints::paw_prints:

2 Likes

Final Update (for now):
Ended up selling the PPQ45. I got a decent deal on the sale.
I decided to go with a full size M&P 9 2.0 (optics ready 5”) for my HD gun. I already had a M&P 9C as a carry gun ( which I really like), so I figured having a HD gun with the same ergonomics would help. And I’m OK with having 17+1 in 9mm in lieu of 12+1 in 45ACP. Also, S&W has a rebate going on, which also helped.
From my research and experience, I don’t think that there was anything wrong with the Walther. It may just be a bit more finicky with ammo, and harder for me to shoot consistently. During deliberate fire, the PPQ45 is a tack driver, but the problems occurred during less than ideal firing conditions (rapid fire, one handed, etc.). I’m sure that that is on me to an extent, but I haven’t had the same issues with my other pistols.
Either way, I feel more confident sticking with the M&P9 platform, and can buy more 9mm for training.
Thanks to all for their information and advice!

7 Likes

It’s a good idea to assume a self defense situation will occur under less than ideal situations. Having a pistol that functions with a less than ideal grip is important. I intentional test my self defense pistols with at least one mag worth of shots with a sloppy 1 handed grip. If I can easily make it malfunction I wouldn’t want to trust my life to it in a chaotic situation.

Good luck with the M&P 2.0. I don’t own one but they sound like solid, reliable tools and a great match to go along with your carry option.

6 Likes

Is it just the one brand of ammo that fails to fire? I have used ammo in my hand guns at the range that FTF, switched to another brand and had no additional problems. Sometimes an ammunition manufacturer can manufacture a “bad batch” that might be the case here.

3 Likes

I HAVE THE S&W,M2.0 ,METAL,SERIES, and 17, Round magazines , and its the best :bangbang:auto , I have , put a thousand rounds in att a time down Range and it never jammed and it is in pimpressive, I , BLEAVE S&W.&m&p,:bangbang::bangbang: ARE A MATCH GRATE TOOL EDC, and it has four different grips to change to fit your hand size I TRUST IT , AS MUCH AS MY COLT 3,57, magnum I carry both , great match , winning :100::100::us:

3 Likes

Suddenly I find I was double stacking (my shooting instructor calls it) and he attributed it to limp wrist. Now this is my P365, a 9mm that I shot a lot with nary a problem but I had to agree with him because I was shooting one handed. However I had the same problem when I shot my G17 Gen 5 at a GSSF competition. That was unheard of. I was at a loss until I realized what it might be. I recently bought a Laser target (cheap shot) and practiced a lot with it. Now because it doesn’t have any recoil you mindlessly are holding it looser then if shooting a live round. I am now keeping that in the back of my mind as I practice with it. Let’s see if it makes the difference, I think it should. The good take on this was I learned how to quickly clear it and get back on target IE: the GSSF competition.

3 Likes

IME, how tightly you grip the gun actually doesn’t matter. Nor should it, for a defensive arm.

I’ve held my Glocks loosely with only thumb and middle finger around the grip, as loose as I dared without safety risk…then even looser than that with only one live round in the chamber and an empty mag to see if it would lock back (if it locks back on empty, slide moved enough it won’t “limp wrist”)

It still worked just fine.

What people call “limp wristing” isn’t about how tightly you grip the pistol so much as it’s about positioning the mass of your hand and forearm behind the slide and having your hand up high enough on the backstrap/into the 'beavertail

So it’s about hand placement and on the gun and hand placement relative to your forearm.

6 Likes