Malfunctions due to “limp wristing”

Roger, and I agree. I really like Speer. Great rounds. I am stumped by your malfunctions. I have never heard of what you are experiencing.

You are an experienced shooter, and I know you will figure it out though. No worries about that.

3 Likes

No worries about my name.
I’ve been called dozen worse names… :rofl: :joy:

5 Likes

That looks to me like a limp wrist. The momentum of the slide going forward is directly affected by it’s ability to travel backwards efficiently. Your motion while shooting also affect this. Imagine if you will, that you are playing catch. It’s more difficult to throw the ball forward as you are traveling backwards. Same effect with your wrist when shooting. When the slide is traveling backwards, your hands are traveling with it. Due to the momentum, your hands are still traveling backwards while the slide is now trying to move forward. Directly reducing the slides ability to push the new round out of the mag, up the ramp, and into the chamber.

1 Like

Only if they are old fogeys like us.

2 Likes

@Patrick151 ,
Try to load 5 rds only and test it. This will eliminate or confirm the magazine related issue.
Walther PPQ was my first handgun and I know its issues. As I remember, 45 version has problem with stiff mag spring which pushed rounds too hard and the last picture you posted shows exactly what might happen.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone! I plan on testing out the gun in the next week or so, to see if the problem is related to my shooting technique, the magazines, or both. I do like this gun, but it is off duty for defensive purposes, until I can figure this out.

5 Likes

:+1:
Usually the hardware is the last thing I would blame for malfunction. In most cases it’s a user error… but since this is the only pistol you have problem with, I’m not sure if your technique has anything to do with it.
:love_you_gesture:

Disclaimer:
I can be wrong about it, please don’t use it against me in the future :wink:

6 Likes

Thanks. I haven’t ruled out user error. Although I have been shooting for a while, I am trying to improve my defensive shooting skills, and have recently started to train using drills engaging multiple targets, Mozambique drill, etc. So the user error may indicate that I need to slow down and pay attention to my grip, etc. however, I also use my carry gun (M&P9 2.0 Compact) for these drills, and have had zero problems with this gun. Maybe the PPQ45 is less forgiving in this aspect.

4 Likes

Yes, 9 mm IS more forgiving vs 45.

I have read your posts one more time focusing on PPQ45 only.

One question came in:
How many rounds went already through the pistol? Does it have original recoil spring?
If you’re sure the spring is ok, then …
:point_down:

Please, if you find time, do these tests and stop doing rest if you find that the FTF occurs (do only 5 shots each time):

1. Clean and lube your handgun, do function check and be sure it cycles easily. Well maintained PPQ is smooth by default.
  2. Load 2 magazines with 5 rds
  3. Shoot both slowly
  4. Shoot both fast
  5. Do the same with 10 rds.
  6. Do the same with 12 rds.

Don’t focus on your technique. Shoot the same way as you have been doing this so far.
If you have a limp wrist, your test will stop on number 3.

2 Likes

Good point on malfunctions, however I propose a third, a rapid follow up shot that is high up. Even though the gun has been limp wristed, the trigger finger can hit the trigger another unintended time.

3 Likes

Hi Patrick, since you do not have trouble with accuracy, this may not be an indicator, but here is an idea.
Do you have any dummy rounds? Have a friend load a magazine and randomly incorporate dummy rounds in with live. Then have the friend observe you firing that magazine. Do you anticipate the recoil when you arrive on the dummy rounds, or are you still steady on your follow through? If not there could be a limp wristing issue. Analyze your grip and follow through to reacquire site picture. This still a great exercise to master clearing malfunctions. As one of our other friends stated, have you had any stovepipes or double feeds? Something to think about. Keep us informed on your resolution.

5 Likes

I find the best grip trainer is a hammer. The same grip that is used to hammer a nail in a board is the same grip strength adequate for gripping a firearm with the strong hand. Hammering a nail in a piece of wood does not allow for limp wristing, you’ll smash your thumb and forefinger holding the nail. But the right grip strength, the right grip pressure, the right wrist angle (+/-) depending on the platform, and you didn’t have to spend any extra cash.

6 Likes

Haw Haw I have been called worst by better for less I know I sent a picture of my gold star MOMA and that means she lost her son in the grate war and they put under very disrespectful title for stupid things Very disrespectful all any one could SEE WAS THE REBEL FLAG THAT WAS MADE BY ANNANA. THE FLAG COMPANY THAT MADE THE FLAGS FOR THE NORTH AND THE SOUTH WHEN EVERY ONE HAS SO MUCH HATE OVER A WAR THAT BROTHER AGAINST BROTHER AND EVERYONE DOSE NOT UNDERSTAND THAT THE CIVIL WAR WAS A WAR TO MAKE ALL STATES ONE NASHION :bangbang:my uncle is buried in ROBBERT E LEE’S FAMILY HOME STEAD MABE SOME OF YA HAVE HEARD OF IT ARLETON NASHANL CIMITIREY I UNDERSTAND IF NO ONE UNDERSTOOD MY SPELLING I WONDER DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO INDEINS FEEL

1 Like

And the only thing I have to do with that war was my uncle is resting in the NASHIOL CEMETERY ARLETON THEY SAID IT WAS AN HONOR FOR YOUR FAMILY TO REST IN PEACE THEIR PREIL HARBOR I HAVE A UNCLE THAT DIED AT FOUR HOOD IN 19,74

1 Like

My Dad we to Karea

1 Like

I can not find my glasses my bad

2 Likes

I can see that…
I don’t even know how to respond to your posts… so… have a Wonderful time for next few days - Merry Christmas :christmas_tree:

6 Likes

I could not understand why my gold STAR MAMA WAS PUT UNDER THE STUPID CONTEXT :bangbang: MABE a glich :question::question::question:

1 Like

The V,A FOUNDATION :bangbang:just got him a new cross after all these years very decent WW,ll

2 Likes

I can step on my glass that I AM never going to get used to an auto correct and then my letters are to dam small and it’s never my FALT and so on an on an on Right Bobby Jean Harry Christmas everyone

2 Likes