Malfunctions due to “limp wristing”

several other things could be causing issues

1. limp wrist
  2. rough machining were the slide and frame intersect
  3. too heavy of recoil spring for the hollow points
  4. rough ramp

just a few things to look at

1 Like

The ramp/recoil spring thing are more prevalent in 1911’s. Whatever he’s shooting is striker fired. It’s possible there’s a bur though

limp wresting cure
a former hunting partner use to limp wrist wen shooting pistol
he was shooting my 629 S&W
the first 4 rounds were target loads the last 2 were hunting loads with 296 ball powder.
split his forehead open with the front site
joe has been gone 15 years now after Thanks giving
gone but not forgotten

Mike

3 Likes

The cure for limp wristing, strong wrists. I use one similar to this. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

My opinion: If the gun can be ‘limp wristed’ with good ammo and anything resembling a reasonable attempt at a proper grip, it is not to be relied on for defense. Personally, in those cases, I sell or trade the gun.

Unless I can shoot it held weakly with my off hand only, reliably, I don’t want it.

PS: It’s not really about muscular strength so much as it is where you hold the gun so that you get some weight behind it (it being high enough on the backstrap). The slide moving back needs to move separately-enough from the frame, and that happens by the frame running into the mass of your arm much more than it happens by how tightly your fingers are wrapped

And if having a weak grip makes it unreliable, I wouldn’t trust it, if you have just been fighting for your life, or you have blood or sweat or nacho cheese on your hand, the gun still needs to work

I am also of the opinion that if it’s not reliable with any known good ammo, it’s not to be trusted and I sell or trade it. If it works with ammo ABC and doesn’t work with D or E that just means, as far as I’m concerned, that ammos A, B, and C are just that much closer to the point of failure to begin with

3 Likes

I carry as EDC, either a Glock 30, or a Glock 41. Actually I have never carried anything other than a .45. I have found that the FTF, for people I have trained, was due to limp wristing and letting their arm eat up the recoil. So it was a 2 issue problem. Usually caused by anticipating the recoil and an insecure grip.

2 Likes

We were taught That in Basic trainin and calll out to you as flinching occurred,the best is when you are surprised when the trigger is snapped,had a recruit lie beside and as you dry fired the best is when you are actually serprised on completion

I dont like that kind, lol, the counter does not work all that well…

I use those grip trainers when i donate plasma, they are okay, but I’d say gripping a piece of plywood with your hands by the top edge and picking it up is a great grip trainer…

3 Likes

The pistol in question is a Walther PPQ45. It has a great (and also fairly light) trigger, and the grip is a bit larger and less “grippy” than some of my other pistols.

1 Like

Have you noticed any pattern with FTF?
Same ammo manufacturer? Same mag?
How many rds loaded? Top rounds?

To eliminate pistol or user issue I would suggest to use +P ammo and shoot it with magazines loaded with 5 rds.
See if you still experience FTF.

3 Likes

I just had to laugh, :rofl: :rofl: His name is @Jerzees and he is my brother. Anyways I agree 100 percent with the advice he gave you. I for one use a 9mm for self defense because it gives me more capacity. Go with what you feel more comfortable with. Limp wristing can cause malfunctions and FTFs.

6 Likes

Lol, darn autocorrect! Sorry about that Jerzy!

5 Likes

@Patrick151,
@Jerzees has a great sense of humor and probably pissed himself from laughter. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

4 Likes

Hey @Patrick151, do you remember back in the days this group of guys who made prank phone calls called the JERKY BOYS, that is why I laughed so hard and if you go on YouTube you can hear the phone pranks and you will giggle your butt off. I am sure others on the community have heard of them.

2 Likes

I had occasional malfunctions at the range with standard 230 grain FMJ ammo. I was able to fix these quickly using a tap / rack. However, with my previous defense ammo (Speer Gold Dot 230 grain FMJ), the gun
jammed with the slide open, and would not return to battery by racking the slide. Also, the magazine would not drop.
In order to fix the problem, I had to lock the slide back, and drop the magazine. When I looked at the magazine, the top round was moved forward in the magazine ( see picture). Once I reloaded the round and magazine, I was able to continue shooting.
This malfunction with the JHP ammo was why I sent the gun back to Walther. Even if the error was used-induced, a malfunction like this would be very bad in a self defense scenario.

4 Likes

Jerky Boys were hilarious! Probably would get “cancelled” these days, but my wife and I still laugh about some of their prank calls.

2 Likes

You may have already answered this question, pardon me if so. Did this happen with more than one magazine?

3 Likes

Yes, it happened with both magazines. I guess it could be the ammo, but I was using good SD ammo (Speer Gold Dot).

3 Likes

If you’re worried about user induced malfunctions (e.g., limp wristing), then maybe it’s time to switch to a revolver. They are available in calibers much more potent than 9mm or 45 ACP, and always go “bang.”

1 Like

It’s not that I am worried about malfunctions in all semi-auto handguns, just this one in particular. I’ve been shooting handguns for 20 years, and this one is the first to produce this kind of malfunction. It is one thing to need to do a tap/rack, or even get rid of a stovepipe. Malfunctions that require several steps to resolve would be a very bad event in an actual firefight.
Admittedly, the majority of my experience in the past has been with full size 9mm’s, so it makes sense that a heavier caliber chambered in a relatively light polymer frame gun may be prone to this sort of malfunction. The bottom line is that I have a hard time trusting a gun that is prone to any sort of malfunction, user induced or not.

3 Likes