Mail-order Ammo

Hi everyone, never ordered ammo by mail so is it a big hassle? Signature required? Thanks

1 Like

I believe that when it’s mailed to an FFL gun shop, they can sign for it there.

If you have a 24 hour Door Person on duty such as if you reside in a Condominium, the Door Person can sign for it. Be aware that some Condominium Associations might have a written policy on that. It might not be the most secure process, and it’s not very private as there are certain labels the delivery company/mail carrier might have to place on the box or bag (most of the time), and sellers do not hide who they are on the return address label.

In certain cities, it’s not legal to receive it by mail - to a residence, unless it’s an FFL dealer/shop.

If being mailed to your home, such as a house, I’m not certain; Maybe ask both the seller and the company who’d be making the delivery.

2 Likes

That’s a great idea about sending it to my fav gun shop, thanks. I live out in the country and even amazon 2 day prime usually takes 3. Then ya gotta watch for the driver. I like that deliver to store thang, thanks again

2 Likes

Ooops, I forgot to mention, my local FFL does charge a fee. Best to you.

3 Likes

In Ct. the amo can be sent direct to buyer. Problem w/Ct. is you need either a
License permit to buy ammo or a state pistol permit. We can send a copy of those to include copy of drivers lic. We even have to sign for pellets for a pellet gun. Once we get a track # we can pre-sign for the package on line. Pretty sure amo can be shipped direct no FFL required. Firearms must be shipped to FFL.
IN SOME cases the retailer will list FFL dealers they have some kind of relationship with. Of course check you States law , bla bla bla.
:paraguay::paraguay::paraguay:

2 Likes

The only issue I ever had was a delivery driver who was anti-2A, so he was consciously trying to damage the contents. I sent the video of him doing so to his employer. The replacement drivers have never done anything similar since.

I wouldn’t let it linger on the porch though, as oftentimes there is no question about what it is.

3 Likes

Here in Florida, ammo I order gets delivered to my door by UPS.

7 Likes

Same in Faillinois. Have a batch coming this afternoon. Of course FOID and DL images must be on file.

3 Likes

In AZ, both FedEx and UPS deliver direct to your door, no extra hoops. Been wearing these guys out the past 9months! :laughing: You can also arrange it up for pick up at one of their area distribution hubs (not the UPS Store or FedEx Office locations) when you’re going to be “in town”. Some online retailers will force a signature and/or shipping insurance, so they can collect additional fees and supposedly “verify” delivery receipt.

3 Likes

In AZ as well and I can agree with what @William591 said.

The one time my wife and I ordered some ammo, it was delivered to the door. I believe UPS was the carrier.

He’s also right about the “additional fees”. I paid for “discrete packaging”, which to be honest, wasn’t really that much more. But my wife just placed her order and let it ride. Ammo should up packaged the exact same way. So was a bit, annoyed, by that but all in all the experience wasn’t too bad.

Haven’t ordered since then because I can’t find ammo for a price I’m willing to pay so don’t have any other experiences to share about it.

2 Likes

Generally, you can’t go discrete packaging with ammo shipments as they have to put the black ordinance sticker on the outside per DOT. Pretty much destroys discrete!

From yesterday’s arrival.

6 Likes

Huh. Learn something new every day. And I don’t know why I didn’t think they’d need some kind of special marking on them as they’re a dangerous item . . . Now I feel silly. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Had a problem too a while back. UPS got caught in a lie and, every time after that
He refused to leave the package. They have a few reasons they don’t have to leave the package. It went on for a while till a truck @ UPS crushed his legs against the doc. PS: don piss of the mail person or the delivery man.
Happy ammo.

3 Likes

Was a guy who shipped some things out from a shop I worked at. He used to complain non stop that USP was abusing his packages. For the next few weeks his packages were being returned crushed, kicked, dropped, covered in boot prints etc. I think he had to change to FedEx. Hahaha. Guy was a d*** anyways.

2 Likes

UPS delivers to my door in NV. I hope my delivery driver’s hernia surgery goes well.:wink:

5 Likes

I’ve only ordered twice since the china effed the world, but was weekly on mail order, and multiple times a week sometimes, from 2016-2019…UPS driver calls me “sir” :rofl:…never an issue. Favorite suppliers are sgammo.com, midwayusa.com, got a lot of 7.62x51 from aimsurplus.com back when it was around, freedommunitions.com sent me a few orders free of charge which was pretty sweet, after I spent $6k there , ammovalley.com…and there’s others…never had an issue, except for absolute garbage, 1000 rounds of 9mm from fedarm that was a rip-off/dangerous at 14 cents a round, (you’ll see them on ammoseek.com)…but the delivery was fine.
In CT, have permit/drivers license on file with a number of suppliers. No signatures on anything, my wife was generally home when the UPS driver delivered, late afternoon. Funny story, wife kept telling me to buy more ammo…when I asked “do you know how much ammo I HAVE?” she said “Well, yeah, I’m the one who hauls it inside the house!” :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:…38 years together. There’s reasons why.

3 Likes

Ya , especially if you’re buying cast Bullets.

4 Likes

Only had trouble one time with UPS. IF YOU WANNA TALK ABOUT A COMLETE
Cluster f===k it’s USPS Forget about it. PS CONNECTICUT IS IN THE Twilight zone.
I got a good postal Carrier now and not too many problems. I would very often get other peoples mail, when I called and complained to the postal manager I was told everyone makes mistakes, I can’t repeat what I told them.:us::us::us:

3 Likes

ordered lime from Amazon one year, 4 bags, 20 or 50 pounds each can’t recall. Saturday USPS fill in driver delivers 3 bags…I get notice 4th bag is at post office, they can’t deliver as no one’s home…HUH, the driver handed me the mail, I would have picked the bag up out of the truck if she’d asked…post office is 2 miles away…I returned bag to Amazon…well, the post office did the lifting. This must have been one of those UPS to USPS hand offs. I tracked orders that went 2000 miles in 3 days, then took 3 more to go the last 2 miles. Swear I’ve seen the truck go from south of my house to the next state north, to get it’s final redistribution.
Yeah, USPS…I’ve gotten mail for at least 4 other addresses over the years. I just deliver it myself.

2 Likes

The best one is USPS tracking. Fill in all info to get updated deliver info. So fare every delivery has been one day ahead of posted delivery date with no notice other than your package was deivered. SO FARE UPS IS THE BEST. THEY EVEN LET YOU TRACK THE DELIVERY TRUCK ON A GPS MAP, so fare the only ones to follow direction IE : bring package to back door “ OK Now I FEEL BETTER - happy thoughts>>>
:us::us::us:

4 Likes