The UPS Store will not ship firearms

I went to a UPS Store in Phoenix, AZ this morning to ship my shotgun to the manufacturer for repair. They would not accept it and told me as of Sept. 1, 2020 the UPS Store will not accept firearms for shipment. To be clear, UPS however, will ship firearms.
I have left messages with the corporate headquarters of the UPS Store and I am trying to contact UPS as well, but their automated phone system makes it impossible. The only leverage we have as gun owners is for UPS to feel the financial impact of this decision and have them force a reversal of the UPS Store policy.
As a result of this policy I will not support UPS any longer.

3 Likes

I think you were never able to ship a firearm from a UPS “store” but you may ship from a designated UPS location, not a retailer.

8 Likes

That is the UPS Store, which is independent from UPS. The better option is go directly to UPS and skip the UPS store. The problem is that I feel like there is no good shipment option anymore. Fed Ex has its own issues, and as for USPS, well, I will just leave that there.

6 Likes

Guess we’ll just have to open our own gun running operations!
UFGR, United Federal Gun Runners! Oh Yeah, of America!image
“We Go the Distance”
Now hiring tack drivers!

10 Likes

UPS is still shipping Ammo, because I just got some a few minutes ago. Here in South Carolina for years You have had to take the gun to the UPS shipping center to ship

2 Likes

Honest question, why would you tell a UPS counter person what you are shipping? I have shipped many firearms over the years with UPS, never a problem. I create a label at home and I drop it off at the “Store” only to be scanned and have my receipt printed. I have never been asked what’s in the box, and if they ever did I wold just say tools. There is a caveat, if the gun is valued/insured over $1,000 you do have to take it to an actual UPS location and they have to sign for it and give you a copy of a signed receipt, but again no one has ever asked me what’s in the box.

6 Likes

I dunno about Sept 1, 2020 as the UPS Store near me has never shipped firearms but the UPS Distribution Center will. IIRC The UPS Store is a Franchise entity and not considered a “Commercial Carrier”, I think that is the ATF word that they use for who is and is not allowed to ship a firearm. I believe it is the same same for places like Mail n More.

Cheers,

Craig6

3 Likes

I have noticed that they do ask you what are you shipping… As per the answer, ( as directed by company to receive the product) I am shipping machine parts. In all honesty that is exactly what it is. A machine.
Hope this helps in the future.

2 Likes

Should “UPS Firearms and Ammunition Shipping Rules” be a first place to look for explanation? :smirk:

It clearly says:
[…]
Cartridges, small arms may be shipped only through a UPS Scheduled Pickup Account (specifically, Daily Pickup, Daily On-Route Pickup, UPS Smart Pickup®, and Day-Specific Pickup), or through a UPS Customer Center (counters at UPS operational facilities).
Note: Cartridges, small arms are not accepted for shipment via UPS Drop Boxes, and may not be tendered to or dropped off at locations of The UPS Store® or any third party retailer or UPS Access Point™ location.
[…]

4 Likes

Where do I submit my application?

2 Likes

It’s been a long time (and another state) since I shipped a firearm at a UPS center. It was not a UPS store. The center made me unbox and unwrap my firearm and show that it was not loaded in front of the line of customers. I don’t know if that was standard procedure or not (90’s, MN), but I complied.

More recently I had to send a Kahr back for warranty work. Being that my current state is less 2a friendly, I brought it to my local FFL and had them ship it via UPS. I had the prepaid label from Kahr, so my local shop didn’t charge me anything… I don’t know if that was their normal procedure or not.

2 Likes

KamalongRidenWithoutUS.com

1 Like

You’ve missed https:// :wink:

2 Likes

I just remembered that I sent a Walther pistol back for recall service from a FedEx storefront across from a university campus, in the last two years. Walther sent me a FedEx shipping label, and I boxed it in the original case and walked it right up to the counter (waited in line for some undergrads to finish paying for their copies or whatever). I called first, because I was expecting that they’d send me to the Fedex shipping hub 10 miles away, but no, the guy said I could just send it from there. Go figure.

2 Likes

You do make me laugh, buddy. I’m hot under the collar, but each time you post, I have no choice but to chill!

3 Likes

World needs crazy people like me… :wink:

4 Likes

If you break down the firearm or in some way disassemble, then you would be shipping “parts”…

3 Likes

Long guns can be shipped using ground delivery. Any firearm that can be concealed is shipped 2 day air. Both are only shipped by going to special depots. ( ups & fed ex) (rules for average joes) rules are different for ffls holders as they can call & have them picked up. So stay out of jail…

2 Likes

In response to questions and comments:

1.) Why would I tell them it was a firearm? #Enzo_T They asked. It’s a $15,000 competition shotgun and I’m not risking being responsible for a lost shipment because I lied about what is being shipped.
2.) “…if the gun is valued/insured over $1000 you do have to take it to an actual UPS location…” #Enzo_T #Jerzy Not true. 10 days earlier, I shipped the same gun from the same store to the same place.

The next day I took it to FedEx who shipped it without a problem and for 1/3 less than UPS.

1 Like

correct in my experience. Have shipped with them more than once. Hafta take it to a non-retail hub…

3 Likes