Let’s talk 1911s, whatcha got, whatcha want?

Bought a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a private sale and love it, although my Sig P938 is my EDC. Kimber handles awesome, but a bit heavy to carry all day (Even with a good quality gun belt). I however have been contemplating migrating back to the Kimber as I cannot find a grip laser for my Sig (Kimber has the Crimson Trace green one).

3 Likes

Wow, all these pretty guns from @Zee, @Gutsy63, @gunsntexas. I want them all, cuz I ain’t got no stoppin’ sense when it comes to buying guns, especially 1911s, I need to get to the range and shoot what I’ve got first! Still haven’t shot that new Colt I got. I’m thinking I should get a Kimber to add to my collection. Please tell me a bit about your Ultra Carry II, @Brian3. I don’t know much about what Kimber offers, just have heard a lot of happy Kimber owners…

1 Like

Saw it for sale in Uncle Henry’s and knew the price was right. It’s a stainless steel model and was owned by a prison guard who’d just had a baby and needed the cash. I knew Kimber was a good brand and didn’t think twice. Good shooting gun. Just the right weight to help contain recoil (If that is the right word here). It’s also a good carry gun in that it’s sized right, but I wanted a smaller gun for EDC and find the Sig P938 to fit the bill nicely. The Kimber sits in a safe 99% of the time. I own the Kimber, two Taurus G2 Millenniums, a S&W Bodygaurd .380, and an old Ruger Mark II I inherited from my uncle. The S&W Bodyguard is a good carry gun for those days that the dress code is minimal (90 degree heat). I however live in Maine therefore flannel shirts tend to be my cover garment 7 out of 12 months…LOL

1 Like

Sweet, @Brian3. I think you got a good deal and a good gun with the Kimber. Personally, I’m leary of buying second-hand guns unless I know the seller or have had the seller recommended to me by someone I know, because I’m not proficient enough in gunsmithing to know if there’s a problem with the weapon. What may be obvious to you would probably go right over my head. So I buy new or from someone I trust. Even if I get a gun from someone I trust, I take it to a gunsmith to have it checked out for me. I keep my guns in good shape, but don’t know that sellers have kept theirs in good shape, so I’m just careful. It all boils down to my ignorance, but at least I know I’m ignorant and can take steps to ameliorate that, i.e., get the weapon checked out by a gunsmith or knowledgeable person. It may cost me $15-20 to get a gun checked out, but it’s worth the price to me to have assurance that the gun is in good shape before I shell out the bucks. I also have my guns cleaned, lubed, and checked out annually by a professional, to make sure I don’t mess up my own weapons! I can’t tell if a spring is nearly ready to go or a component is near failure, but a professional should be able to do that far better than I! I’m sure you’re far superior to me in that kind of knowledge. Maybe someday I’ll be smart enough to be able to tell by myself! Sounds like you have a pretty nice gun collection, too. I’ve heard good things about the Sig P938 and the S&W Bodyguard. Both are good EDCs. I still like to carry my 1911 for my EDC with the 9mm Sig P365 or S&W M&P .380 Shield EZ as backup, if I can fit a backup. Sometimes I just carry the backup guns as EDC and leave my 1911s at home, but I like to have big stopping power so I prefer the 1911 as EDC. As an old lady, I can’t afford to let the bad guy keep coming at me after I’ve already shot him – he/she needs to go down immediately, no messing around. I like your getting to wear flannel shirts so much of the year! I’m in Florida, so I rarely get to wear cold weather gear or clothes that easily conceal…but I manage. Big T-shirts is how I usually go! Doesn’t match flannel shirts, but it usually is comfortable enough and allows me to carry concealed.

2 Likes

When vacationing in Florida it’s generally the Bodyguard .380 that tags along. Much easier to conceal in that neck of the woods. Up here in Maine I simply go untucked, but if forced to tuck (By the wife), then the .380 goes in a pocket. I’m by no means better equipped to look a gun over than you are, but that was one of the only “used” guns I’ve ever purchased. I forgot to mention that I have a 1940-41 Winchester 30-30 over the fireplace mantle that was my dads. The only “long gun” in the house (For now).

1 Like

I did check out the case hardened 1911. It is cool, but then I saw another limited issue they offered.
I finally found one available.
My Trump #45 .45 1911 will be shipping out Monday.
Not a MAGA Colt, but it will show beside my Colt Gold Cup. Hey, I’ll probably carry it. I was told my MAGA holster would make people angry. I said the point is for nobody but me to see it. Ever. Unless you’re in my gun and music room, I pray no one will EVER see it!

1 Like

Hi! Quick side note in case you (or others) didn’t know. Crimson trace provides one new battery a year for life for most of their products. Make sure to register!! Worth looking into!
Also, CT does make a laser for your SIG you MAY like. Its around the trigger guard vs built into the grips. Screenshot from CT site. Available red and green
Screenshot_20190726-201758_Chrome
Hope this helps! :sunglasses:

1 Like

I’d probably get sued for blinding someone lol.

1 Like

My favorite 1911. Have had 3 of them over the years, all from the original runs. Unfortunately friends and family fell in love with them.

I suspect I’m not done with them yet. A close second was the original Colt Gold Cup competition model I carried for quite a few years.

1 Like

Kimber ultra 2
Springfield 1911 A1

1 Like

I want this one from Rock Island Armory.

9 Likes

@Jorge that’s a nice looking piece. And Rock Island Armory is a fantastic company. I have a RIA M1911 that is my favorite carry. It’s accurate and reliable and I really love it. Worth every cent…

@WildRose which one is your favorite 1911? I didn’t follow which one you were talking about…

@Timothy3 can you tell me a bit about the Kimber Ultra 2? I’m thinking of a Kimber for my next 1911 purchase and would like to know which one to get. Any info is helpful… Thanks!

1 Like

@Bugleboy please post a picture of your Trump #45 when you get it. Would love to see it!

1 Like

I will. I’d show it in my MAGA holster, but that fits my Sig M17. I could go all out American pride and include my Texas Defender lol. I have US carved grips on a couple of my other 1911’s. I am AMERICAN and not afraid to show it…of course I can’t show it while carrying. I show it in other ways. Where it counts.

2 Likes

Yeah, Rock Island makes some nice looking and reliable firearms and very affordable. Nothing pricey.

3 Likes

I carry the kimber ultra 2 I bit shorter than the 2911 a1 2side thumb safety it comes with a lil flatter grip do I built a new set because I’m 6’4 and have bigger hands but smaller hands should be a nice fit I’ve always been a fan of 1911 a1 Springfield until I met Kimberly lol now my Springfield is my secondary . Kimber also has a new micro 9 with lazer which I bought my other half it’s a great pistol just a bit small for my fit … hope that helps you a bit … Tim

1 Like

I love my 1911 Rock Island 45. I have the smaller commander version which makes it a little better of CC.

2 Likes

The Delta Elite. No real logic to it probably just of those I’ve owned they were my favorites.

The Old Springfield Omega was something really special as well but tended to have some critical flaws in the frame which eventually caused cracks. Heck of a platform and idea though since you could switch barrels, magazines etc for different calibers.

1 Like

Have you tried getting the eight round mag that gives a little more grip area on the micro 9?

1 Like

My favorite gunsmith told me a full sized Dan Wesson in .45, with a blued finish only made for a few years in on the way to his shop. Yes, I think this one will be my next 1911…

Should not take more than a year to get it done the way I want…

Has it been a year yet!? :crazy_face:

Just got off the phone with my Smith, now known as my bad influence… The base gun is SWEET! Thinking serrated top slide, French border, disconnector cut, true radius trigger job, and a flat trigger, so far. On the fence as far as a magwell or not. Will be blued 45 ACP goodness.

2 Likes