LEOs retired

I am recently retired LEO with 46 years in public safety as a career firefighter (79-2012). Reserve police (81-2023). Got the T-shirt and all. I wonder if there are retired public safety folks here to share with. I just joined USCCA because my FOP really doesn’t offer anything for off duty (non Police related stuff) or retired LEOs for self defense incidents. I plan on EDC until I get to the point where being sheep is less painful than the liability of being a sheepdog. I’ve always had the security of qualified immunity as a polIce officer but now my butt hangs in the wind God forbid I may have to be involved in a citizen self protection incident. I have been involved in significant gunfire incidents on three occasions as a police officer and never had to shoot anyone whereas my training over the years has faithfully allowed me to take alternate actions. With that being said; I was drawn to USCCA originally whereas I watched many of their training videos while on duty during down time. I found the content and values very much in line with “responsible” gun carry and self defense. I would often direct gun carry citizens to USCCA website video topics knowing they would get good information with more in depth coverage than the few minutes I had contact with them. With all the recent BS going around by competitors in the self defense insurance business I can only say, “that’s called
free enterprise in an open market”. For me, I hope I am never in a shoot situation but I am not comfortable with the thought of being defenseless. I just hope that if I end up in a nursing home someday and I have to club some active shootin SOB unconscious with a fire extinguisher or a bedpan that my USCCA membership will at least come visit me and have my defensive back covered against all those sheep minded DAs. God Bless all “responsible, educated & willing CC citizens.

32 Likes

A 2024-01-05 21-39-35

@Johnnyq60 would a perfect candidate to write a post here !

17 Likes

Thank you for your service!

12 Likes

@Matt87 Welcome to the community, happy retirement, and thank you for your service. There are many retired LEOs that hopefully will soon chime in, just hang in there, and glad to have you here with hopes that you’ll be continuing to learn with what materials USCCA has to offer. There’s always something new to learn, and knowledge is power.

10 Likes

Thank you for your SERVICE Brother
Welcome to the Fold

I’ll come and visit you in Senior paradise (when the time comes) but
I ain’t changin’ your bedpan! No, SIR , NOT gonna happen :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:I’ll call the attendant :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
:rofl: :rofl:Check the service date on your fire extinguisher :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
‘Fluff’ yer pill-ow! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:But friendship only goes so far! :bomb:

Where We Go 1 We go All

11 Likes

Welcome, @Matt87 and thank you for your career. As a low-time USCCA instructor I think you’ve made a good choice for structured self defense training programs. Please consider not limiting yourself to USCCA programs, though. Look to the top tier elders of self defense firearms trainers, all of them experienced LEOs themselves, Tom Givens, John Farnham, Massad Ayoob, and Greg Ellifritz, before we lose their services, and then to the younger generations that have grown from them.

13 Likes

Hey Man! Great write up. :us: My history of Carrying is Miltary and on my 4 th renewal CCW

8 Likes

@Matt87, welcome brother. I have been carrying since the age of 23 when I became a New York City police officer. I am 63 now and it’s my 40th year carrying. I have been blessed to have been given the privilege to carry a firearm. Before getting my CCW my ID card gave me the right to carry. I was a detective at the time September 11 hit New York City. I always intended to do more than 20 years. I was going to do 30 years if it hadn’t been for that dreadful day. I also drew my firearm plenty of times without having to fire a shot. I thank God that the only time I drew my weapon was at the range twice a year for qualification. We all need to continue to protect ourselves and our families, and loved ones. Being in law-enforcement is tough nowadays, because of the way cops are being treated. They are hated just because of the uniform. I understand that there are a few bad apples out there, but that is a small percentage compared to the good ones. My advice is to continue to carry on and be the good citizen that you are and protect yourself your loved ones and your family. Continue to be a USCCA member because there training will help you to stay alive in these situations.

14 Likes

Johnny 60 sir I read what you wrote to mat welcome to the community mat . Sir . Johnny 60 sir that was a hard read .!! Brother!! Truly THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE SIR AND I AM VERY GRATEFUL TO BE CALLED YOU FRIEND AND thank you for all the support you and your wife and family has given me and mine . Sir I truly appreciate law enforcement and all that they do !! And with very little thanks from the people who they protect and serve GOD BLESS ALWAYS !! Love Bobby Jean.&. Debbie ann SIR Thank you so :us::heart::white_heart::blue_heart::chile::v:t5:

3 Likes

Some very good words here. The only thing I can add is keep moving. Staying active will keep you active. Use it or loose it.
Thanks for your service.

5 Likes

Well said brother. I am also a retired law enforcement officer. I started my career in 1980. I was assigned to an E. S. U. as a K9 handler and was assigned to the CANINE RECOVERY TASK FORCE at N. Y. C. (9/11). I am also a member of the F. O. P. And you are correct with what you said. That is why I also became a member of the U. S. C. C. A. Stay healthy and safe.

9 Likes

Did you guys start out with the S@w 66. I did. Then to the 686 followed by sigs then ended up w glocks. I still have my original 686. It’s a cannon for sure. Sounds like you had a pretty active career too. I was fortunate enough to do a stint on cycles, drug and EOD K9 and ended up driving the swat boys in the MRAP. I can’t even recall all the fire crap I did but go to retirees breakfasts at the union hall and we all tell stories. I got shot at three times over the past 18 months just before I decided to leave it up to the youngsters. Ha ha, Thanks for posting.

6 Likes

Welcome to the family brother @walter106 and thank you for your service. Nice to have another fellow NYPD retiree.

7 Likes

Robert 1246 THANK FOR BEING MY FAVORITE BIRD YOU ROCK BROTHER WE ALL LIVE IN DIFFERENT STATES AND EVERYTHING IS DIFFERENT BUT WE ALL ARE AMERICANS AND WE HAVE LOVE FOR OUR COUNTRY AND EACH OTHER SIR THANKS FOR BEING MY BROTHER SIR LOVE Bobby Jean AND Debbie ann SIR ,!!:chile::us::heart::white_heart::blue_heart::owl::feather::feather::popcorn::beer::popcorn::beer::popcorn::beer::brick::brick:

1 Like

Walter106. Thank you SIR FOR YOUR SERVICE SIR LOVE YOU ! Stay safe my friend Bobby Jean and Debbie ann Sir.:chile::us::heart::white_heart::blue_heart::owl::feather::feather::v:t5::beer::popcorn::bangbang::v:t5:

2 Likes

Matt THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR SERVICE SIR LOVE Bobby Jean and Debbie ann SIR :chile::us::heart::white_heart::blue_heart::owl::feather::feather::100:SIR

2 Likes

@walter106 Welcome to the community, glad you’re here.

3 Likes

Thank you for your service Brotha, from a fellow retired LEO (DHS) and USMC. I’ll probably be next to you in the nursing cause trouble lol. USCCA is awesome :sunglasses:

5 Likes

Hello, welcome, and thank you for your service :us: @Enrique15 @walter106 @Matt87

5 Likes

@Enrique15 Welcome to the community! Hoorah!!!

4 Likes