Leather vs kydex holster

So I was looking at buying a P365 and found a nice looking leather holster and then a kydex holster from Clinger.
I was curious at people’s differing opinions on leather vs kydex. I only have kydex at the moment. And I have heard that leather can curl in with time and cause NDs.

2 Likes

Never had a leather holster cause any issues with safety. I use kydex sometimes for range play, but find leather to be much more comfortable. Leather is just much more comfortable to carry, kydex is a tad bit faster on draw, but everyone ultimately finds what they like to use.

Plus, it is hard to beat the smell of a new leather holster, and they can be made very classy.

I have had kydex mag holders break, but I was at work, using a scissor lift, so not ‘normal’ wear and tear.

I have really been liking the P365, please put up a link to the holster you wind up with. I carry mine in a OWB leather pancake style.

6 Likes

I love my P365. Currently I use either a kydex or belly band type holster depending upon my outfit. I like my kydex but at times find it a little uncomfortable pressing against the skin because it is so hard. I’ve been thinking if switching to a hybrid holster to soften things against my body. Very interested in knowing what you end up with and your opinions on the holster.

1 Like

@Lacy, that is my problem with kydex, tends to ‘dig’ in. I have never tried a hybrid, sounds like a good idea.

1 Like

There’s nothing more comfortable than leather, nothing more secure or maintenance free than Kydex.

I can’t imagine carrying any holster IWB that doesnt’ have leather between me and it.

I cannot see how leather could shrink or draw enough to cause an ND period with any modern reliable firearm that is functioning properly.

5 Likes

As a hybrid holster user i have to say that i really enjoy the benefits of both leather and kydex!

6 Likes

That’s what I figured out the hard way. Now i just have to figure out which hybrid holster I want.

3 Likes

Unfortunately since fit and comfort are so individual there’s no easy answer for you.

Most of us that have been carrying for a significant length of time have been through quite a few of them before we found one or two that really worked well for us.

4 Likes

I went Hybrid leather/kydex with a Hidden Hybrid Holster

1 Like

Properly cared for, leather will last a lifetime without any deformation. Some saddle soap and a good leather preserving oil will do the trick. Unless its out in the weather… direct sun, actual getting soaked in the rain… you’re not likely to have to do it often, maybe once or twice a year. My husband has some he’s never maintained that are many years old, and they’re still just fine, so it depends on the environment they’re in.

I like the lightness, low-bulk, and positive grip of the kydex, but the ripping-velcro sound it makes when I peel my kydex IWB off my skin? yeah, not so much. I think I may see if I can put a felt backing on my IWB kydex… otherwise I’m going to have to wear a tank underneath and that’s not so good this time of year.

My husband recently had a kydex holster fail from contstant use - cracked down the body of the holster. that was his EDC holster and he holsters/unholsters perhaps more often than most do in a day.

I’ve got one that is neoprene backed kydex and it’s a lot more comfy.

Still going with the Dene Adams Carry Corset as the single most comfortable carry solution I have though… seriously, it is possible to completely not notice I’m carrying in that. :grin:

1 Like

My kind of topic! I love, love, love holsters (yes, I’ve purchased holsters for guns I didn’t even own).

Few things bring me as much joy as a really well made leather holster. There’s just something about knowing a true craftsman sat down and worked on this thing just for you. The smell of quality leather, straight and durable stitching, perfect fit…heaven! Many years ago I was turned on to a local (to me) shop called Tucker Gunleather and since then I’ve developed quite a collection of their products. Each one has been absolutely fabulous in fit and function and depending how I spec it out looks like the kind of thing you’d wear to a concealed carry fashion show (I’m partial to black cherry with Egyptian key bordering).

That said, I’ve migrated to Kydex for day in/day out carry. When going with a quality brand the fit and retention I’ve experienced have been spot on and I don’t worry about them getting scratched, scraped, and nasty from my love handles complaining about the east Texas humidity. And since I don’t feel any sort of “dude-you-really-need-to-see-someone-about-this” bond with Kydex I wouldn’t hesitate to throw one out and replace it should it become damaged somehow.

For IWB carry I still prefer leather (see Tucker’s ‘Texas Heritage’ model) because it’s soft and comfortable. Some would argue that since the mouth is not reinforced it makes it difficult to reholster, but for me that isn’t a big deal. If my concealed handgun has to clear leather it likely won’t go back until the threat has passed, meaning I’ll have as much time as I need to reholster. I think that’s a fair compromise for all day comfort.

3 Likes

:rofl::rofl: OMGosh that’s how my hubby is even about the kydex ones :joy:

2 Likes

I have and have had leather and kydex. If you buy leather, do not skimp. Whatever you use, you should be able to draw and reholster without looking at or touching the holster, ie. keep your eye on the potential threat even if you believe it has been neutralized. Kydex always keeps it shape but so do good and well cared for leather holsters. And there is nothing like the smell of new leather. I cannot say the same for Kydex.

1 Like

@Zee, I bought a Black Arch Hybrid IWB single clip holster a couple of years ago. It is nice because it has adjustable ride height and cant. A nice feature of this holster is you can buy a variety of backings from double clip IWB to fixed cant OWB, and move the Kydex portion from backing to backing, and each backing is ~half the price of a full holster.

At the time I bought the IWB I found the leather backer still irritated my skin, so bought the OWB and really like it. It looks like they have added a breathable mesh backing on the IWB since then, but have not seen nor tried it. If anyone is really interested in this company I suggest calling them to place an order because they might offer options not easy to find on their website.

Click on “Product Photos” to see the back:
https://www.blackarchholsters.com/collections/iwb-holsters/products/iwb-single-clip-protos-m

And backers:
https://www.blackarchholsters.com/collections/accessories/products/protos-m-backers

2 Likes

I have the SIG P365 kydex holster that I use both for appendix and 4 o’clock carry.
I’m waiting for this Clinger to release their pocket holster. https://clingerholsters.com/product/sig-p365-clipless-pocket-holster/

1 Like

I’ll definitely put up a link to the holster I order. If I can save enough it’ll be in the next month.
Now you said Kydex was faster on the draw… But not by much. Is this due to the difference between the plastic like kydex vs the drag of a material like leather?

1 Like

Could you post the link to this holster you speak of?
I’ve thought about getting the Crossbreed Reckoning holster which I believe is a hybrid holster. And I have a hybrid holster but I always figured they were better suited for the bigger guns like sub compact, compact or full size not for a micro.

1 Like

That was one of the first places I went to see about pocket carry in addition to my subcompact or compact. But was disappointed to see they didn’t have one.

1 Like

I second the Black Arch holster. For guns larger than the p365 the kydex wraps around the gun for retention but you still have the comfort of the backer (I went with the breathable synthetic).

1 Like

@luke_ouellette

https://hiddenhybridholsters.com/

1 Like