Leather vs kydex holster

@luke_ouellette I have one for my Shield, MP 2.0 compact, and my HK P2000SK

1 Like

I would say the leather does "drag: on the gun during the draw. Not a huge time difference. I am a big fan of training with what I carry, so I am (depending on range rules) wearing a cover garment and my leather carry holster during classes and shooting. A really well made leather holster will not slow you up much at all IMHO, but kydex would probably win in a quick draw timed contest.

The most important thing is to have a gun in a holster that is comfortable to you, so you have it if you need it. Not the .whatever speed difference (as long is it not a huge time difference.)

2 Likes

Ahhhh the age old argument leather or not leather.

IMHO for IWB I want LEATHER, mebby Horse Hide or some other such 4 legged critter. I also have a MANDATORY requirement for a hammer block/lock thumb break. Yes it’s for a 1911… and a 92F… and a CZ75 ish. haven’t found one for an XD but I haven’t looked hard either. The odds of me “carrying” my Tactical are slim and none even for me that’s a big heavy gun. Different story if I find a 4" gen 1 XD in 45 ACP. (Note to all: I’m looking for a Bi-Tone, Gen I, XD 4" in 45ACP, bonus points if it has the thumb safety)

Anything on the outside for my body I want Kydex/plastic etc. I’ve never really been forced to wear a belt rig but have played with several brands and types when I was doing the range hand thing. On a thigh rig I am fond of the Serpa and Safari Land versions, I have destroyed several but even at their worst the locks still functioned and retained the weapon. As a general rule if I am carrying the gun is outside my belt it means I am carrying a rifle or somebody made me do it.

Cheers,

Craig6

2 Likes

Yeah me too. And why I only carry my BG-380 pocket carry.

I spoke with a rep and was assured that the P365 is on its way.

2 Likes

Yeah I understand the holster you choose needs to be comfortable. I wasn’t concerned about the time difference since you said it was a slight difference.
But I appreciate the explanation.

2 Likes

Now I have a question, basically a sub topic for all you with leather holsters: do you have a leather holster molded to your gun or one that fits a couple different makes and models? (This shouldn’t be getting off topic, but if it is I’ll make a new topic. Haha)

1 Like

For my semi autos I have holsters specifically made for each model.

For revolvers my Turus’ are identical to many Smith models since they were made on smith plans and with Smith tooling.

S&W was setting up a factory in Brasil when they got sideways with the gov’t and lost their franchise in the country and a Brazilian company took over.

If you get one that doesn’t fit quite right you can stretch it to fit by soaking in alcohol and/or shrink to fit by using water.

2 Likes

I have an Ernie Hill leather holster for my Glock G21. Incidentally, it also fits my Canik TP9SFx and my Ruger P89. I haven’t tried it on the Glock G30, but it may fit that as well. This is a very heavy leather holster and is not “moulded” to fit but sized for a good wedge fit (with adjustable tension).

All mine are made to fit a specific model. My main holster maker even added a 4.25" barrel 1911 model to his line up just for me. (Well, actually, he thought he had it on his website, but did not, but I don’t let details like that keep me down.) :laughing:

1 Like

I carry the Sig P320 every day with an IWB kydex holster. It’s not terribly comfortable. I ride a motorcycle (with a sidecar, lol. It’s my only vehicle) and if it rains I get wet…very wet. My choice of the kydex holster was specifically because of how often I am exposed to the elements and I wanted a holster that would protect my EDC and would be easy to clean and dry out.

I much prefer any or all of the leather holsters I have made for myself in the past and I’m honestly considering making a new one for the P320 because the kydex is quite uncomfortable by the end of the day. I’m also considering switching to a shoulder-rig, but that is still up for debate.

Leather looks great, smells amazing, is comfortable, and protects pretty well. It can be much more expensive though (depending on custom work you may want done) and for longevity requires regular cleaning and treatment. Kydex is less comfortable but requires no real maintainence and is often cheaper than a high-quality leather holster. The longer I’ve worn the kydex holster the more I’ve been convinced that perhaps having one of each is the better approach, depending on the day and my specific needs throughout it.

2 Likes

Welcome to the forums! What are your thoughts on a hybrid leather/kydex holster?

1 Like

@Fred_G I have no experience with a hybrid leather/kydex holster. I suppose an IWB with the leather against your body for comfort and a kydex shell to hold the pistol could be a neat option to consider.

@Henry4 I’ve been riding every day for over four years now, through rain, sleet, snow, etc. I’ve loved every minute of it, and I wouldn’t trade it for the world. It’s why I chose the kydex to begin with though. My only complaint with it is that at the end of a 10+ hour day I am often mildly sore from carrying (not that I’ve every really complained about it or let it stop me from carrying). I have only recently begun weighing other carry options just to see what I might find and see if it works any better. Perhaps it’s a bit of, “I really just want some new gun stuff”, lol. My leather vest does have a gun pocket on both sides, but I have yet to be comfortable carrying that way. It just hasn’t felt secure enough to me. It’s part of the reason I’m considering a shoulder holster rig (I’ll probably just make one, like most of my other leather stuff) which means I can customize it to work just the way I want. I am checking out Kore Essentials’ gun belts right now. Their website is not liking my sloooow internet connection, lol. I’m liking what I’m seeing so far though.

2 Likes

@pralfred This sounds interesting to me also.

2 Likes

@pralfred;
I also ride, currently with my Taurus 9mm in an IWB Kydex holster. I occasionally have comfort problems, but have found that there is a ‘sweet spot’ where if I adjust it ‘just right’, I can ride comfortably all day. If your holster is adjustable, you might try some experimentation. My winter holster is an OWB leather holster from DeSantis. I have never had a problem with it. I am thinking of trying an IWB Hybrid-if I can find one sized to fit my gun. I do not use ‘universal’ holsters.

2 Likes

The odd thing is that most days I don’t even notice that I’m carrying or have any discomfort from the holster choice. I started researching for a BUG and carry options for it, and began contemplating trying a different holster for my primary carry. My alternate carry weapon (Bersa BP9CC) I currently carry in an IWB leather holster. The hybrid idea intrigues me enough that I may check them out.

1 Like

I was just realizing some of the leather rigs I’m using, and their magazine holders on the belt; make me sound like an old tree swaying in the wind. All the creaks and rubs I hear when I’m walkin about or settling in to a chair. Not so much with my kydex or hybrids. (Of course, I AM an old tree swaying in the ~ …maybe it’s not the leather after all?)

1 Like