Friday Favorite: Holster Material?

Everyone has their favorite firearm, their favorite caliber, and their favorite concealed carry holster.

Like guns, holsters come in all shapes, sizes and materials. From the exotic to the run-of-the-mill, there are millions of holster materials to choose from.

What is your favorite holster made of?

• Leather
  • Kydex
  • Neoprene
  • Carbon Fiber
  • Nylon
  • Exotic materials
  • Combination of materials
  • Other (please include your favorite holster material in the comments)

0 voters

Why do you prefer the material you voted for?

2 Likes

While Iā€™m a huge fan of a gorgeous fine leather holsters, there is no denying the superiority of Kydex for durability and protection of the firearm and user, especially for self defense use.

5 Likes

I really like my UnderTech UnderCover tank tops. The holster component is heavy elastic with an elastic retention strap that clips into place.

2 Likes

I used to wear IWB leather for comfort and conceal ability.
Two reasons I shifted to Kydex.
First, leather folds in on itself and prevented me from holstering one handed. Fine leather has an awesome feel, itā€™s smooth and quick on the draw but can lose itā€™s shape.
Second, Kydex durability after years of use is still in the same shape as I bought it.

2 Likes

I find the Crossbreed Reckoning hybrids in IWB @ 4:30 are the most comfortable for me when driving long distances.

3 Likes

Iā€™ll take a hybrid any day. Soft leather against the skin, with a rigid Kydex to actually hold the firearm. Now, for OWB with a revolver, give me leather all the way.

5 Likes

I went with leather for two reasons.

My first and latest holsters. Everything in between varies from fair to good but the leather fine.

My Bianchi #111 Cyclone has lasted 40 years and with care should out last me.

I finally made the move to IWB and opted for leather. Iā€™m now convinced, leather is the way to go.

Relentless Tactical The Defender Leather IWB Holster is perfect for me.

If I ever go back to OWB or open carry Kydex will be my choice.

3 Likes

I answered Kydex, but the AlienGear Iā€™m using now has a neoprene backing.

My very first kydex holster did not have any backing and it was uncomfortable at my IWB 3:30-4:00.

2 Likes

I mean dont get me wrong i like leather but they fold. Nothing like the comfort of kydex.

1 Like

Why do I get the feeling that the responses will be similar to a 9mm vs. .45acp and/or Glock vs, Sig debate? :rofl:

7 Likes

There is a debate about it? I did not realize that anyone could debate about a .45 ACP!

6 Likes

you just made my point for me!

4 Likes

I definitely prefer the feel of leather, especially for IWB. But I also like that positive lock of Kydex. So obviously, I went with a hybrid. That said, I really do like Mitch Rosen all leather holster for OWB on my P226.

4 Likes

Leather iwb kydex owb
But chooseded leather because I mostly carry iwb ā€¦on other hand my NAA is always in my pocket unholstered.

2 Likes

Thumb clicked on nylon not my favorite, however I am pleased to be aloneā€¦ like hybrid iwb for 3 seasons & leather otw for winter.

2 Likes

Thereā€™s no debate. Thereā€™s the 45 acp faithful, and then, thereā€™s the folks who are wrong. :crazy_face:

4 Likes

I originally had a hybrid ā€œcomfort tuckā€ holster, leather IWB with kydex retention. I have since purchased and use the leather Urban Carry G3 model, which is mostly located below the waistline with clip over the gun belt. This has been my go to holster for my Taurus G2C 9 mm, but in summer I also frequently pocket carry my Ruger LCP 2 22LR with the included Ruger pocket holster.

3 Likes

Welcome to the family brother @Thomas535 and you are in the right place at the right time.

1 Like

I prefer leather for OWB but mostly carry IWB and prefer kydex for ease of reholstering and retention

4 Likes

Iā€™ve owned more holsters than firearms. Leather and Kydex mostly. Love the leather but, Kydex is what I always seemed to land on.

3 Likes