John Wick Movies — Guns and Tactics

Just finished watching the John Wick movies again. Love ‘em. It got me thinking about what could be a good discussion. From a gun / tactical perspective, what do you like about them? What don’t you like?

For example, one thing I caught this last time was Keanu Reeves flicking out a spent mag from the gun while he grabbed a new one with the other hand. That was one of the fastest reloads I’ve seen, less than 2 seconds from start to finish. Supposedly, one of the trainers commented that he was faster than 95% of the military special forces he had trained before retiring.

6 Likes

Love the films since they are mindless entertainment! Always find it funny that the bad guys, be it 2 or 20, neatly wait their turn to get killed… :rofl:

11 Likes

The reloads and administrative activities are spot on, along with finger register.

7 Likes

However the number of incoming rounds should yield a higher hit factor.

8 Likes

What I love about it, particularly the first one in the series, how he hardly used his front sight, his shooting arm bent and elbow close to his body.

Taran did a great job in making Keanu move believably.

7 Likes

body armor clothing, like soft body armor painfully but protected just the same

5 Likes

At least when chambering a round, he doesn’t re-chamber every sequence.

Most movies, they chamber a round at the beginning of the movie, fire NO shots, rack the slide again when entering a hallway, NO shots fired, enter the stairwell, rack the slide again to chamber the third round and no shots have been fired. Three rounds magically disappeared!
Enter the bad guy, rack slide, chamber a fourth round and fire 60 rounds without a mag change!
That’s why the general public hates guns, they don’t have a clue!
I’m not saying we should take lessons from Keanu Reeves, but maybe the general public could use a few pointers!

11 Likes

Really, I mean not one stray head shot? Cmon.

Lol

5 Likes

For those who STILL haven’t seen JW4 (Spoiler Alert!) Avert your eyes and say LALLALALALALALA!

In the scene where he and ‘Caine’ reach the 'Duelo site" in Paris
and the combatants take off the suit Jackets, John is spectacular when all the
Bullets imbedded in the suit/armor start dropping at his feet…same same when he takes off his vest!
THAT is classic John Wick/Chad Stahelski film making! You don’t believe you’ve seen/heard what you see at first and then you are more prepared to see/hear it again.
It’s the same thing since JW1 when he Loads up. He has everything Laid out and straps up, Mags (2) handguns, Armor, Knife (Like when he goes into the ''Sommelier" for a ‘Tasting’!) CLASSIC WICK!
You don’t pick apart a movie or series like this. It’s Fantasy sit back, pop a cold whatever, a bowl of Karacal, and enjoy. Escapism at it’s best!

You can pick apart the REAL World after 200+ Kills and the credits roll.

I want one of those suits!

6 Likes

It’s a movie.

I don’t get anything realistic out of it other than Rule #1 and mag changes

The “shots” don’t have to actually hit any particular target to act as though they did, and the enemies all magically miss/just pull up your suit and you’re invincible. lol okay whatever

3 Likes

I Agree Brother.
In London has Fallen Gerard Butler is caught loading a mag a few times when being chased by Terrorists.
It’s the ‘Continuity’ persons fault in reality because all scenes AREN’T shot in sequence. The Actor can’t possibly remember everything they are supposed to do. Continuity is supposed to remember/duplicate which side of the face a scar is on, Hair mussed/wet etc. Same as when he and the president are running through the streets of London…the grounds wet, then dry, then wet again…Oopsie! Freeky weather that!
But whatever, It’s a MOVIE! not a documentary.
Keanu doesn’t seem to have many mistakes. He fires a bunch of rounds, then reloads (I don’t count the rounds, I’m not that Anal!) well… I’M NOT! :laughing: But the Dude knows his way around a ‘PIT VIPER’!

3 Likes

I enjoyed first movie. Then I watched second, third and fourth… just because I was curious. And was disappointed and didn’t find anything else what I would find in The Expendables, The Expendables 2, The Expendables 3… and Expend4bles :face_with_monocle:

Nothing that teaches civilians… nothing that can be used by me, nothing that I would remember to be good tactics if I need one. :person_shrugging:

However I really admire Keanu Reeves for all the work he did for this movie and the character. :ok_hand:

OK… To be honest… there was one thing that brought attention to a lot of people - keeping your pistol near you / your eyes when space is limited. Technique known as Center Axis Relock. Looks cool… but still , not for me. I tried it several times and never found it better comparing to other methods used before.

5 Likes

I find the CAR shooting position of fully bladed with the pistol at the chest to be very effective at keeping my Krav Maga instructor from easily getting to the pistol before I can shoot. I don’t think that part of the CAR technique gets used in the JW movies though.

You can see what I am taking about in a couple parts of this video along with some of the close in sighted techniques that did get used in the movie.

8 Likes

So, that’s what it’s called. Two CCW renewals ago, it was a drill we had, not required to pass but a bonus lesson.
When practicing, I usually allocate 10 rounds towards the end of the session. Now, I know better, I’ll increase the round count. Thanks.

3 Likes

The more I read about CAR, the more I like it.

Not really John Wick but this thread is evolving.

5 Likes

Yeah, as I mentioned - looks cool. Try to practice it and then you will see if it works for you.
I’ve been trained too long shooting from retention and creating distance, that CAR doesn’t work for me as good as methods learned already.
CAR for me is like point shooting, so I don’t see any reason to bring the pistol to my eyes.

oops… that’s it… Let go back to John Wick… :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Did anyone start carrying pencil after watching John Wick? :thinking:

:point_up:
That is a serious question…

I did… oh… no… it wasn’t pencil… it was Staccato… :star_struck:

7 Likes

I carry a sturdy pen for those times I can’t carry a firearm and as a less lethal defense option since I don’t have the John Wick like skills needed to easily punch it through someone’s skull.

Regarding CAR techniques it is not something I would do in most circumstances but when someone is right on top of me it seems to significantly improve the odds of retention. Even if I can’t get a shot off before contact is made it makes it easier to keep my opponent’s hands off the pistol and allows me to use my shoulder or a head butt to create enough space for a shot.

7 Likes

You know, the John Wick gun from Taran Tactical for 7k comes with a number 2 pencil. Of course, it would be cheaper just to buy yourself a number two pencil.

I do not care about the bullet proof suit, I still do not want to get shot! I hurt thinking about it! and falling off of a building,… NO! I fell out of my chair and have been hurting now for two weeks I do not want to elaborate on that either!

8 Likes

I started carrying a pen after watching The Bourne Identity.

5 Likes