Caliber?

I heard and seen (on you tube) a lot of debate on these calibers! What do you choose? and why? 9mm, 40cal, or 45cal? I’m a 40cal/45cal person myself!

5 Likes

9 mm and 22RL.

Economic reason. Both work good for me and I don’t feel that would need more.

7 Likes

Absolutely 9mm.

3 Likes

Caliber?

All of them…

10 Likes

What ammo can you find to feed it?
With the situation these days, ammunition availability seems to take center stage.
An empty 1911 is a club, but still a pretty decent club.

4 Likes

being a reloader, i make my own, practice rounds, but yes finding ammo period is getting back to the last administration that caused a ammo shortage. i tend to order my ammo now, i prefer critical defense and critical duty rounds for everyday carry, also for my rifles, 308, 223. i’m not a hunter sooo, all defense ammo.

3 Likes

I carry .40, but I also have firearms in 25 acp, 38 special, 10mm, and 45 acp. I do not currently have anything in 9mm, however one is in the works, & will be in my inventory before Jan 21. I have been slowly buying ammo for whenever I can.

4 Likes

I choose all things 45. I have a 9mm because I needed to train people with that particular platform and it fills a niche in my military gun collection otherwise I would not own it. That being said it’s a good loaner gun. My list of rifle calibers is generally centered around 30 cal but I have bigger and smaller, mostly military calibers with the odd big bore long range stuff. That being said my youngest son has a Springfield Hellcat in 9mm that I am favorably impressed with I’m hoping to try it out this hunting season. I reload for everything some to a greater extent than others. The only factory ammo I will buy is for odd ball calibers just to get a bit of bunker stock or ones I need for a specific purpose RIGHT NOW and don’t have time to work up a load for. 30-40 Krag, 7.7 Jap, 303 Brit come to mind for the former as well as hunting ammo for an AR-47 to the latter.

Cheers,

Craig6

8 Likes

I carry 45 ACP 3inch barrel, 230 grain rounds.

8 Likes

Love my .45, I carry Critical Defense 185 grn. for SD. and Remington 230grn. HP for woods defense. :+1:

6 Likes

I carry 9mm because it the largest caliber my wife shoots accurately and confidently, so if something were to happen to me she could take the firearm and keep going

9 Likes

There is no bad caliber, what I carry…45acp. What I think is the perfect caliber for defense…10mm (full size). My all around favorite is 41mag with 210 gr SWC hp at or just above 1000 fps.

10 Likes

9mm & 22lr

Used to have more calibers, but previous ammo shortages convinced me to employ a new strategy. Now I only have firearms that use either 9mm or 22lr. It’s been easier to keep a decent stock of 2 calibers than the 4 or 5 I used to have.

6 Likes

Scotty has the right answer :smiley:

I like 9mm because it’s easily managed by everyone in the house, I like the capacity, makes a nice PCC caliber as well, and (pre-COVID) was readily available and reasonably priced. I use a lot of .22LR as well.

7 Likes

I’ve heard all the technological studies into the 9mm, however using the 1911 chambered in .45 acp is still the way to go until I reach my late 70’s or 80’s and my hands can’t take it anymore.
I was seriously disappointed when I found out Bill Wilson switched to carrying a 9mm. Even he will tell you that the 1911 platform is not designed for 9mm. Whoa, whoa I can hear you! Let’s just consider it a personal comfort level, I like the power, when hits count, and feel of a 230 grain or a 185 grain hollow point bullet placed perfectly to stop a threat! Happiness is a warm .45!

8 Likes

Ilike any & all. Carry 9mm, very fond of 45acp. An ar is at the top of my list…

4 Likes

The correct answer.

9mm is typically declared the most well rounded round (ha!). It’s the most affordable. Most people are more accurate with it, you get more capacity, less recoil. All of that = faster follow up shots which is what you want when you are defending yourself with a handgun. It also opens the door for smaller conceal carry pistols (hellcat, shield, g43, 365)

.40- I think .40 is a little underrated. It’s got good penetration and decent capacity (you’ll lose 2 rounds with it over 9mm, but it does better at penetration. My home defense pistol is 40, but it’s a full size gun. I would be weary of a subcompact .40. I’ve read people are not very big fans of the shield .40.

.45 - it’s bigger… 45 is my favorite round. I just like it. It’s harder to shoot, it’s more expensive, you get less capacity, you get less velocity, BUT you get a bigger bullet with a great history :sweat_smile:. (I’m carrying 45 as we speak). I bought a shield 45 as my back-up carry gun/ range toy and it has turned into my favorite pistol. It may not be the most efficient, it may not even be the most logical, but it’s the caliber I carry daily :man_shrugging:t2:.

I personally wouldn’t want to be shot by any of them :sweat_smile:, and they all get the job done if you can handle the fire-arm. I would hands down recommend 9mm for a first gun.

6 Likes

.38 Superb. Cause that is how I roll. :grinning: I carry a 9mm or .45ACP all along as well.

4 Likes

I know that 9mm ammo has progressed from the old days, and is far more lethal.

But does no one read…Elmer Keith, SKeeter Skelton, Bill Jordon, Col Askins or Col Cooper any more? Just curious.

4 Likes

.45 ACP. Because they don’t make a 46!

Seriously, looking at all the things one would consider for a carry round, I picked a gun that was comfortable, and then asked what caliber it was in. Within that choice, I researched what bullets, at what weight, and what terminal velocity performed the best from the length of barrel my carry gun was. So, 230 grain, +p .45 from my 4 inch barrel carry piece. I’m not knocking 9, or .40. I just prefer a 4 inch gun, with flying ashtrays at 950-1000 FPS.

7 Likes