Martial Arts and Weapons

To a lot of people say Martial arts and Guns are world’s apart and some ways they are. But, it would be very interesting to hear tactics on how to bring the two closer together. And, how the two compliment each other. Also, share your favorite tactic and tell us why it is your favorite.

7 Likes

@Vince763
@DVS13
Feel free to tag anyone with like interests.

2 Likes

I’m not sure if this is a good example of bringing guns and martial arts together but here we go; suppose you are pocket carrying and someone approaches you from the front with a knife and asks you for your money you already know what’s in your pocket and my favorite tactic even though I’m not a Martial artist is a swift kick to the groin which will bring down the biggest of men and make an atheist call out Gods name. :+1::+1::+1::joy:

8 Likes

I think this is an old quote, used by Martial Arts Masters to indicate they do not need firearm to win the fight.

These days Martial Arts greatly fit gunfight’s tactics. Even individual firearm owner can find it helpful for self-defense.
I’m Martial Arts Nobody, but there are few techniques which makes my behavior different, that I thought it should be. Especially it applies to close quarters situations when quick reaction is needed.
Sometimes simple, but proper punch or kick may end the fight without drawing the firearm. Knowing how to use forearm and / or shin for protection may save you from bodily harm.
Knowledge of body’s balance can help you to dodge or duck then escape.
All these came from Martial Art, so even you don’t practice it, you use it if you are trained correctly. :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

I read somewhere that military use of taekwondo was meant to free up the hands for firearms use.

3 Likes

I remember Bruce Lees quote in Enter The Dragon when the guy on the boat asked him what’s you style; “ The art of fighting without fighting.”

14 Likes

The best fights are the ones we avoid - Jackie Chan -> we can learn a lot. These are not only movies quotes, but real stuff we can apply to firearm’s World.

11 Likes

You are so correct my brother.

5 Likes

I think the last thing I would every want to do is shoot someone, and end their life. My first instinct is always situational awareness, and common sense. I have trained in many different styles, and I have actually been able to implement many of them in real world situations. I worked security for many different night clubs when I lived in Miami, and carrying a gun wasn’t always an option. I am a firm believer in self defense without a weapon whenever it’s possible. That being said, disparity of force is always a factor. I don’t expect, a woman (NO DISRESPECT TO ANY OF THE AMAZING GUN CARRYING LADIES AT ALL) to be expected to unarm or be able to overpower an individual who is possibly armed, larger, and determined to do harm. For that matter I don’t expect a man to do it either if it’s not something he is trained to do. Being proficient in any style is never a guarantee of safety. Many factors play a part when it comes down to it. Life is precious, even those that are out to do harm to us. Knowledge of martial arts is always a plus, and in my opinion a great compliment when paired with the right to carry. Imagine the satisfaction of being able to save your life without taking one. This is just my opinion, and I respect the decisions of others always.

4 Likes

In my opinion, Martial Arts Training and Guns are not that far apart from a psychological and physical perspective. If you are trained in the Arts you can apply that training to how you behave and react when carrying and using your firearm. First and foremost, both teach you to not engage unless it’s absolutely and critically necessary. Martial Arts if taught properly teaches psychological and mental balance. Awareness and reflex is trained and practiced and can be applied with guns as well. Physical training in the Arts will help you with your ability to move with your firearm and certainly helps with your stance, strength and movements. One of my personal rules (tactic) against a knife attack: Move away from the blade quickly and give yourself enough distance to draw your firearm. If you don’t have a gun, RUN! You will lose in any knife fight. I have trained in the Arts for 40+ years and to this day I still get caught with the plastic knife during practice. That blade will come and it will come in fast. If you are not properly trained to defend a knife attack - RUN! DON’T BE A HERO! As I mentioned in other posts, I practice the style of “Run Fu”. Motto: If you want to stay alive, RUN! FOOL!" Who cares if you run from a fight. THERE IS NO SHAME IN STAYING ALIVE. Your family will thank you for that.

6 Likes

Ok, for those of you who know me, this will be a big surprise reveal. But… I like knives. So I use a combination of Escrima and pistol. Use the Kerambits if they get to close and pistol when they back off.

6 Likes

Now you’re talkin’ my brother! :+1:

4 Likes

This is why we train to DODGE AND RUN! When I had my Dojo back in the day, I always started class with running and calisthenics. At first, my students would ask why we are running… this is not Martial Arts. I told them “You are correct but this will someday save your life”. After hundreds of stupid ego machismo conversations and demonstrations the students understood my reasoning.

5 Likes

@Johnnyq60 I would not fight someone with a knife… just sayin’. Seriously, knife attacks are very fast. Someone can cut you much faster than you can draw your weapon. Believe me when I say this, please! RUN, DRAW and SHOOT!

3 Likes

or the side of the knee…

I’ve got a black belt in Tae Kwon Do. It’s helped me with my reflexes, focus, situational awareness, and less lethal options (short stick, long bo, knife, belt). Part of self-defense is moving with confidence and making yourself a less appealing victim. Martial arts can definitely help with that.

I caught this as I was scrolling and I was all excited that you used a reference to Gandolf… and then I realized you weren’t quoting Gandolf from Lord of the Rings. LOL!

6 Likes

I second @Dawn with the inside of the knee. All it takes is for the big guy to be at the right angle to take the kick in the inner thigh instead of the gonads and now you’re dealing with a pissed off ogre. Ask me how I know. (My nickname at work is Ogre in case you need a hint.)

3 Likes

:scream: That’s not nice! They could at least call you Shrek… that’s more in line with you since everybody loves Shrek too! :rofl: :wink:

3 Likes

Oh no, nobody is calling me Shrek! I’m not about to deal with that whole Shrek is life stuff!

Do NOT go researching that if you’re easily offended.

3 Likes

@Vince763 I hear you brother and I know for sure a person who has extraordinary knife skills is more dangerous than a person with a firearm.

2 Likes

At what range?

1 Like