I got caught today

Please describe your hearing protection in details. Thanks

2 Likes

I don’t really do “in detail” range I go to makes custom hearing protection in whatever color you want. I did mine in black so they would “appear” to be in ear headphones. But if you know what they really look like they are protection not earbuds.

4 Likes

I got caught today.
Ok, long post, but funny story so I’m going to write it. Sorry in advance if it’s boring. I have a “almost” 3 year old little girl. I carry everyday all day and she’s aware of daddy having a gun. She’s been allowed to sit with me and learn about it (always completely unloaded and following all the universal gun rules, which we also go over) and she knows she’s not allowed to touch one if daddy isn’t there (it’s always on me or locked in a safe, but she knows just in case).

Part of our current virus regimen is that I bought a bicycle and a back seat for her and we’re taking advantage of the current weather to enjoy the new items around or neighborhood and local parks. I usually carry AIWB, but quickly decided that riding a bike and being holstered AIWB was not the most enjoyable thing. I did something I never though I would and bought a fanny pack to adjust my carry method. It’s a specific concealed carry design and allows me to carry my firearm, keys, and wallet with ease. Actually very comfortable. I’ve been practicing my draw with it dry for a bit and yesterday was my first outing with it. We went for a ride at the park. During our rides, my little one likes to stop at a park pavilion to work on her “balancing and exercises” and this trip was no exception.

I stop to get her off the bike and we sit down to take off our helmets, when she notices my new wardrobe addition. Keep in mind there are people everywhere at this park as we live in a nice community and everyone is stir crazy from stay at home. My daughter looks, points, and asks “dad, what is that?”. “Well little one, that is a fanny pack. It’s like a backpack and lets me carry my stuff.” She looks for a minute then, “IS YOUR GUN IN THERE?” Smh. “Yes little one, it is, with my keys and wallet”. Outed by a 3 year old with no chill. LoL.

14 Likes

In Kentucky our response would be “Bless your heart!”

14 Likes

I usually try to wear larger t-shirts or an unbuttoned shirt over my tucked in t-shirt to mask my concealed carry. As long as you’re making a reasonable attempt to conceal, printing is not an issue except when you get an ant-gun jerk making a scene about it. The worst printing I’ve seen is by people who continually reach up and feel for their weapon or brush their inner forearm against their side. Dead give-aways. Be confident in your gun and holster position.

6 Likes

Years ago, I was told that at the end of the day, most people aren’t looking at you. You feel like everyone can see your firearm, but unless you’re drawing attention to yourself, there probably aren’t many people checking you out.

7 Likes

Most people who dont carry aren’t observant enough to notice when someone accidentally prints, or hell, shows. Those who do carry wont care or might let you know. I’ve been on both sides of this. A gentleman attempting to conceal carry behind the back was showing badly in front of me in line at the gas station. I simply tapped his shoulder and quietly said “sir, your ccw is showing.” He thanked me and we went about our day.

On the other hand, I was carrying IWB at the 3 oclock in a meijer and as i reached to the top shelf to grab some TP a woman next to me shrieked “He’s got a gun!!!” I simply explained that I was a legal ccw permit holder and she marched off in a huff. No big deal.

All in all, most wont even notice. Too focused staring at their phones or going about their day.

11 Likes

Just imagine what she would have done if you drew and started sweeping the area asking her where?

17 Likes

Very bad things. Haha

7 Likes

I can’t stop laughing at that image
 :rofl::joy:

9 Likes

I got caught by my Boss once, for NOT carrying one day, ( he assumed ). Being my Boss he had the right to know, so one hot day he commented that he noticed I was not carrying and was as interested in my reasons for not carrying that day as much as he had been about why i do carry. Like a few others in my life, it’s interesting that once they become accustomed to the fact that you always carry, they notice with a hint of concern, when they think you are not carrying. I explained my reason that day, but chose not to remind him of the other carry options in my tool box that give me options for even a shirtless day, or dinner at a nice restaurant on a hot night. Anyone else get “caught” that way?

6 Likes

Yes, my works owner is an old NRA instructor and hugw gun guy. Like, an entire walk in safe in his basement kinda gun guy. I’ve taken his classes and he knows I carry every day so the one time he caught my not carrying into work he pulled me aside and asked if everything was alright. Then have a minor speech on how the two of us carrying is the only thing keeping our shop safe in the event of violence. Good guy

4 Likes

Yep. These riots highlight the fact that the police are a limited resource, and they can be overwhelmed or ordered to stand down. I hear how a lot of people get chided for carrying inside the home. But if i were a smart criminal, I’d know that’s just where i might find an unattended gun on a side table while the owner was in the basement getting something out of the freezer. I chide my self when ever I catch my self thinking, I’m only going for a minute, it will be fine.

I can’t forget how the Mission reports i used to fill out for fatal accidents, always seemed to have that same line of thinking expressed just prior to the chain of events that lead to the fatality.

If it’s on me, it’s loaded, if it’s not on me, or not literally right next to me, it’s under lock and key, or I’ve done something i should never let my’self do.

4 Likes

A week ago, I thought I’d be clever and put my pistol in my bike bag. (Having a firearm near > having no firearm) But the family stopped to get ice cream and there was a long line. I didn’t want to take my pistol out in front of everybody, so there I stood like an idiot by the bike rack while everyone else got ice cream. :ice_cream:

6 Likes

I can identify with that Wade.

4 Likes

I also realized recently that if I want to carry a pistol when bicycling, then I have to also carry my permit. :face_with_head_bandage:

9 Likes

You should have ID at all times anyway

5 Likes

In Florida, one always must carry a permit when carrying a gun.

5 Likes

Not in Guntucky any more! You can walk outside in your skivvies with your gun carried openly or nestled in your waist band concealed and take your dog for a walk without a permit or any identification.

11 Likes

we have guntucky, gunidaho!!!
July 1!!! any person, repeat anyone over the age of 18 will be able to carry concealed without a permit, and Idaho is open carry. The current law is Idaho residents, over 18, but leaves out our military. We were in Cody, WY a year ago, we observed more open carry in Cody, than anywhere!!! Have to mention Cody, as has one of the largest gun museums we have been to.

I got caught the other day
was at the grocery store, wearing a large tee shirt, and of course my arms are scared, etc
it looks ugly, but I am who I am, anyways, a lady behind me asked what about my burn scars and the small bulge of my tee shirt. I just stated thanks for asking, and am glad to educate about burn scars, etc, and of course my colostomy bag. The bag thing is a joke, but is my response. Her look was horrified.

7 Likes