Carrying Question

I had a friend today ask me a question about conceal carry, since I applied and I wasnt sure. Out of his privacy I’ll just call him Jim.

So my friend Jim who also lives in Ohio his friend which I will call Jack for privacy concerns, is a convicted felon who was just recently released in West Virginia and currently has no place to live but wants to live with Jim who is in Ohio. And Jack has a probation and has to go through his PO to get transfered to live here in Ohio.

Jim has applied for his CCW and is currently awaiting his card and was wondering is it ok by Ohio law/WV law to carry his concealed firearm while being around a convicted felon whils having the firearm on his person at all times, not storing it in like the glovebox or anything. Also say if said convicted felon would have to live with him, would that conflict with his probation?

I wasnt really sure what to answer on this to my friend cuz I think as long as the gun is on his person and the felon is not in possesion of the firearm he should be fine? Cuz in Ohio gun law it states that a felon cannot apply for a CCW or buy/own a firearm. But I wanted to ask here since there are a lot of people who are more knowledgeable about the laws and regulations and I wanna give a solid informed answer instead of spending hours trying to find something on Google.

Thank for your time!

4 Likes

That would be a great question to as the PO about. You’re talking about laws in two different states (not sure how the probation from one state is handled in another). You could also ask a self-defense attorney or sheriff in both areas what their take on the laws are and how they might be applied to the situation at hand.

6 Likes

@Jonathan30 Go to the top right of the page and click on the magnifying glass and type in Felon in the search. There are 5 threads on this topic that has been discussed, it may give you a better understanding of the situation. :+1:

6 Likes

IIRC there is a definate need to talk with this persons PO… and listen carefully to what you are told???

also IIRC a firearm most not be available to the person on parole?

they must not SEE it??? kinda strange really but think it could prove a problem with getting a permit?

2 Likes

I agree with everyone so far. I think it’s Jack who has the newly restored responsibility to NOT be near or in close proximity to any firearm whatsoever. However my “guess” would be if Jack had to live with someone who owns a firearm, it would probably be wise to rent a portion of the home, but if Jack has any means of physically acquiring the weapon, all bets are off. I recommend an extreme amount of homework for all parties

5 Likes

Is Jack a violent felon, or corporate felon type criminal? Common sense may dictate that you don’t live with a violent felon, gun owner or not. Duh.

3 Likes

Not a violent felon. He is a registered sex offender.

2 Likes

There’s a lot of sex offenses… Rape is typically deemed to be violent in nature. Do you know enough about this fellow to elaborate?

2 Likes

As I can remember from what my friend was telling me he was convicted for a non violent sex offense. I think it was something to do with incest. I’m not so sure what non violent sex offense he was convicted for but I think my friend mentioned incest. But from according to him that he has been cleared from WV to move to Ohio so its mostly Ohio’s law at this point. I’m probably gunna take some time and run through online to find something. I did do a search on here about felons and found a post that was about living with a felon in KY and they mentioned something about constructive possession of a firearm and I am curious if Ohio also has this

3 Likes

He can’t do it. Ohio has a constructive possession law

(Carson vs Ohio)

6 Likes

Ok, thank you so much for your help.

Also, what if your out conceal carrying while said felon is with you? Is that under the constructive possession law @Zavier_D ?

4 Likes

Yes. If he is with you and can be reasonably expected to have been with ie you rode together. The CCW permit holder is not in trouble but the felon is

3 Likes

DUDE! Incest? Nobody should have anything to do with this guy! Come on! There is right and wrong, Good and evil in this world. We have an obligation to choose the right path. Tell your friend as much.

5 Likes

@Zavier_D I’ll let my friend know that. Plus thats good knowledge to me as a CCW if I ever end up riding or in contact with a felon.

Thank you very much for your help, I highly appreciate it big time!

3 Likes

Your friends Jim and Jack?

Jim Beam and Jack Daniels??? :slight_smile:

4 Likes

With family that comes from West Virginia, I can make a crack about it.

Did not know incest was illegal in the West by God Hillbilly state :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah its kind of a personal thing that he tried to keep in the family

4 Likes