How often do you buy a new gun?

Seems I’ll buy a new gun I’m perfectly happy with, then 3 months later I see another gun that I have to have and can’t wait to get. Wondering how long others can hold out between gun purchases.

12 Likes

Totally random.

I have gone years without buying a gun and I have bought like three in a month.

The waters are also muddied when considering whether or not I traded or sold as part of the process.

And then there are a bunch of accessories that cost more than a lot of the guns, like if I don’t buy a new gun but I bought a new ACOG and a WML, that might cost 3x what a new pistol would have.

6 Likes

That part is lost on me. I’m more likely to sell a body part than let even my least favorite gun leave the fold.

I get the accessories though. Bought an optic for my rifle and it cost as much as my first pistol. Problem is it didn’t satisfy the itch for long.

4 Likes

My wife has placed me on “gun restriction” so how often I buy a new gun has been drastically reduced

10 Likes

For me, probably one every 2 years or so, on average. I am currently lusting after the new Ruger LC Carbine. I am fascinated by the 5.7 round for some reason. Don’t ask me why. Lol

4 Likes

The Ruger-5.7 pistol caught my eye several months ago. A small round going that fast. Unfortunately it’s about third on my wish list.

4 Likes

I can understand that.

But also…just because I acquired a gun at some point, that doesn’t mean that it’s better (for me) than every other gun out there in the world. And my money is finite.

Example: I had a S&W Shield or two. But then they released the Shield Plus. To me, the Plus is better in literally every possible way (other than cost). So now I have two Shield Pluses. I couldn’t afford two Plus if I didn’t sell the old ones.

4 Likes

On average… :thinking: every 4.571 months… give or take.

8 Likes

I’m recovering from that addiction…
I’ve been clean for 16 months…
But seriously… Once I found the perfect handguns that do job for me I don’t need to look for another.

I like to keep up with the new products, but I rent them or my friends get them…

5 Likes

Only when I find a really good deal in a caliber I already have.

4 Likes

I always think that I have enough guns…until…I see another one…and can’t sleep until I own it. Darn shame: I have to increase my use of Melatonin.

7 Likes

Honestly, I couldn’t care less about this with firearms, or cars, or…

I’m likely going to unload a few that I’ll never shoot, like this fugly green M9A3 they sent when I wanted grey. Probably the PPQ .22lr too. I sure wish USCCA would allow a classified here.

2 Likes

Rarely. Something has to really catch my eye or be on my unicorn list.

1 Like

I really have to be disciplined about my purchase of firearms. Not so much with pistols (I’m ride or die with .45’s). But rifles, I’m like a kid in a candy store. I plan to purchase a 9mm H&K, mainly for competition (it costs so much to shoot .45 in IDPA), so the 9mm will pay for itself in ammo savings.

Springfield Armory has a new Bull pup 5.56 called the Hellion that I really want. I am actually considering something I’ve never done before, stripping all the accessories from one of my AR-15 rifles and selling it. To help fund the purchase, but also to make room in my safe.

I am always looking at the latest and greatest in rifles and accessories, I always put myself in a self imposed time out, on rifle purchases. But the force is strong for rifles.

3 Likes

Two years sense the last purchase
maybe 20 years before that
but bought a lot at the time and did trading too

Mike

2 Likes

I haven’t bought an assembled gun in a while, but if parts count, I have a problem.

6 Likes

This year the collection grew pretty rapidly.
We had to slow our roll a bit. I do want to get a rifle of sort, but the wife has been against that. Stull working on it…

I also want to go to other calibers so I am always looking, as well as wanting a revolver just because…

I spend alot of time looking but only window shopping for now …

4 Likes

Just trade the safe in for a bigger safe :wink:

3 Likes

What kind of rifle? I can use a pistol, but if it’s between that and a rifle, I pick the rifle 80% of the time.

3 Likes

I am leaning AR style, but also want a plinker like a Ruger 10/22
I will say this if I were to find a great deal on something the saying “It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission” comes to mind :wink:

5 Likes