For Better Or Worse

Over the past - let’s say - 3-to-five years, what guns have you divided into “KEEPERS” and “CLUNKERS”? This is directed to those of you who’ve been able to afford and build a “using collection” of firearms, and not limited to just pistols. Were there any that really surprised you, or brought you to the point where you couldn’t wait to box it back up and trade it in?

3 Likes

Everything I currently have, is everything I’ve bought.

4 Likes

My collection right now consist of Smith&Wessons, Rugers and Glock all classified as keepers in my book. I had a few Tauruses in the past and did pawn them out.

3 Likes

I still own every gun I ever bought, except one. I sold it to a friend because it was the only one he could hit the X with consistently. Two requirements he agreed to, though. 1) If he died first, I inherited it. 2) If he needed cash, I got dibs on the buyback. Unlike the government, I can do that since I owned it previously.

3 Likes

Not trying to be on a pedestal, but I haven’t purchased any rifle or pistol w/o assuring myself I’m intending to keep and do well to avoiding impulse buys.

4 Likes

I had a period when money got really tight, forcing me to sell a couple firearms in order to finance others that I felt more useful to me at that time. I have missed them a little but glad to have their replacements:)

4 Likes

I’ve kept every gun I’ve purchased. The surprise is this: My favorite firearm is the first, and cheapest, once I purchased. An SCCY CPX-2. The stiff DAO trigger makes it tough to master, but I have done that, and sent over 2,500 rounds downrange with no troubles. I love the size, concealability, and, for me, reliability and durability of this gun. I’m not knocking other guns or manufacturers. For me, this thing just works. It’s a keeper.

2 Likes

There was a time that I had to sell my firearms to make it, but every firearm I’ve purchased since can be used…aside from recent garage sale purchases that need love first. One that surprised me was a Beretta I recently finished. It was all rust, and locked up. I purchased it for $10 at a garage sale a few years ago, and figured I’d see if I could save it. Aside from cutting 4" off the barrel to out a bulge, it now looks and functions as it would originally (minus engraving that I couldn’t save). One of my current projects is a 1943 Remington model 11 that is in surprisingly good shape considering the previous owner kept it in the corner of a shed for a few decades. It will be usable in a couple weeks. After having to part with my guns once, I have become a hoarder and don’t plan on having to part with them again.

2 Likes

Hmmm sold a couple when I was young, regretted later. So all keepers since, even the ones I don’t care for perhaps the kids will want later on…

3 Likes

I have firearms for SD and sport shooting purposes, and don’t consider myself a collector. I have one firearm that I would consider a safe queen. The rest go to the range on a normal basis.

I normally only kept a couple of boxes of ammo for each caliber then replenished what I shot. After going through various ammo shortages over the past 10 years or so, I slowly realized I really don’t want to go through keeping enough stock of all calibers that I owned. So, I focused on keeping enough 9mm and 22 on hand, then sold/traded other firearms that did not shoot those calibers. During the summer of 2020, I went one step further and started reloading 9mm again after not doing it for 25+ years.

So far, I have not regretted doing what I did. Having various pistols and carbines/AR-9s have kept me entertained and continue to have fun at the range. I have been able to go to the range regularly during this past year and a half and did not really have to cut down on my ammo use. I actually went more often this past year because there wasn’t much else to do and there were no lines at the range.

3 Likes