Guns you wish you had kept

I had a 73 Winchester 44-40 made in the 20’s. Great shape nice shooter, sold it in the early 80’s. Had not thought about it much until I bought a new Winchester 73 in 357 mag. The ones made in Japan.
The 73 stayed in production about 20 years after the 92 model came out. I can understand why great gun.

4 Likes

Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44 Mag w/ 7.5" bbl. Traded for a Chevy transmission. :woozy_face:

3 Likes

Late 90’s I had a NM Garand that I used in High Power, and it was needing a new barrel and a rebuild. That is not inexpensive and gets you about 2.5moa. AR-15’s were coming into vogue, and I could get a NM AR-15 for under $1000, that shot .75moa. I sold the Garand to fund the AR-15 (my first one). I should have just kept the rifle. I sure do miss shooting it.

Being newly divorced, bankrupt, and destitute, I had to sell one of my heirloom guns. An honest low serial number 1911 made in 1911, complete. Still shot decent as well. Along with it went my Kimber Compact that I had purchased in 1997 and carried for decades.

4 Likes

I used to own an operable flintlock. I wish I still had it. Not so great for home defense, but all kinds of fun on the range.

4 Likes

The guns that I sold over the years were sold to finance other purchases, like your AR. In the back of my mind I though I could always buy another one. That never worked out too well, either the price of one has went through the roof or in most cases I can not find something as nice as what I had.

4 Likes

A Mossberg Brownie (it was my dad’s) and an Arminius .22LR revolver (it was my grandfather’s). Neither were weapons I would ever fire (especially the Arminius - it had right-handed Bakelite grips, and I’m a lefty), but they would have made great wall hangers.

5 Likes

Mossberg 195 d, I called it the elephant gun. I killed tons of rabbits with it and I’m racking my brain trying to remember what I did with it.
I googled pictures of it and they are deceiving on how big they are.
I’m probably going to try to buy another one.
Mine had more of a blonde finish.

3 Likes

Y’all should be posting pics! :grin:

1 Like

I had a bolt action Marlin 10 ga. Goose gun for a SHORT time :rofl:was more than happy to send it down the road

3 Likes

Ruger Blackhawk .45 LC. with 7.5 in. barrel. 260grn. Sierra HPs at 1150 fps. handloads. Killed 4 white tail from 10 yds. to 100 yds.
I had to sell it when I moved from WI. to MI. I didn’t want to go through the hassle of trying to register it. :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

All my guns I lost in a boat accident or should I say incident. Brothers wife threw them in the back of my brothers boat and they all rusted real bad! I did not trust the amount of erosion that accrued.

6 Likes

I wish I would have kept my very first… a Mossberg 500 Persuader. :cry::cry::cry:

3 Likes

I wish I would never have sold my Remington 1100 12guage dad gave me for Christmas. It was my first real gun.

3 Likes

OK…maybe you guys could help me find a .22 rifle my dad and I had when I was a kid that he got rid of that I still am broken hearted over. It was a bolt action Sears .22. I believe it was a "J. C. Higgins Model 103.229 Sears 22 LR Bolt Action Rifle Made By Marlin. If anyone knows someone with that damn rifle…and can sell it to me in California…I would be willing to name my next child after you!

I have searched for it over the years and while I can see them from time to time on auctions…I can’t buy it living in California and I can’t even tell you how upsetting it is. This is almost identical to my old rifle https://www.gunauction.com/buy/12117167

I know you all were just talking about guns you wish you kept…but this one was stolen from me and I would give anything to have it again. I spent countless hours/days sanding and refinishing the stock, oiling and maintaining the rifle because it was my pride and joy. So, if anyone knows of one or how I can purchase it in california…let me know…I will forever be in your debt.

3 Likes

My Mossberg AG500 shotgun with 2 barrels. However, although I didn’t know then, I know now I’d have not been allowed to keep them when my 2nd wife pulled her BS to try and get me tossed in jail for the heinous crime of divorcing her. Still, I miss that shotgun, even though I own a new Remington 870.

2 Likes

The best revolver I ever owned was a S & W Model 25-9 in .45 Colt - 6 1/2" barrel, target sights, hammer, and trigger. I replaced the ugly, obsolete grips with a soft Hogue “MonoGrip” for my small hands. It shot the CCI “Blazer” 200-grain “flying ashtray” the best. The other was an FEG PMK-180 - my 1st .380 pistol, which digested everything but Win. “Silvertips” - had to trade the Smith for back-rent when I went homeless, and later traded the FEG in on a Glock 24 - two decisions I regret to this day.

3 Likes

A Norinco 1911 clone that I had throated, polished, and ejection port flared.

1 Like

A WWII M1 Carbine. Shot like a champ. I was young and broke and had to sell it. Broke my heart.

3 Likes

a Tangfolio TZ75 model 88, well made pistol, got rid of it for want of magazines. Good finish, shot well, good sights. Did not know what I had at the time. Drat!

2 Likes

Every gun I have gotten rid of i wish I would have kept

5 Likes