How many guns do you own

…that you have NEVER fired?

Optional: Why not?

I have three that I never fired.

Why not? One is a Mosin I got when they were stupid cheap, and I got more than one, so I didn’t need to do anything with this one but stick it in the safe. Another was a handmedown .22lr that I just don’t have a particular use for, and the final is a Walther .22lr pistol I got to do inexpensive shooting with but ended up getting an AA conversion upper for a Glock shortly after as a gift and I barely use either one, I just shoot less centerfire instead

1 Like

Many, just so I can tell people I have firearms that have never been fired. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I remember when the answer “Many” would have blown my mind. Like, how can you get a new gun and not try it out?! Then I got my introduction to milsurps that needed de-cosmo’d to fire, back when they were super cheap, and started to understand one method by which “Many” could become the answer lol

2 Likes

One because it is new to me. But a bunch of them have been barely fired. Shotguns because I don’t enjoy them adn they’re for home defense. Others because they were terrible to shoot and I should sell them (84FS & HP25).

The rest are just dandy and I shoot them when I feel like it. for some that is nearly every range trip (CX4 & 10/22) , for others it is every few years.

2 Likes

I guess that brings up a more complex similar question regarding guns you own that are shot very infrequently or have been shot, but not for a long time. You mentioned the shotguns you don’t enjoy, I have a 12 gauge pump I probably haven’t shot in, hell, 8 years.

1 Like

Right. Great for home defense, but I absolutely hate shooting them. We went with 20 ga and am not opposed to 410.

The 84FS…I keep because it is gorgeous, but I’ll not likely every shoot it again. If someone made a great offer, it’d probably be gone.

2 Likes

Just the one. The single shot H&R, 20ga. My one and only and still brand new. Don’t know why. Just sits in the corner with a trigger lock on it.

1 Like

Is there any particular lube/corrosion resistant product any of you prefer for these oft-stored but seldon-shot firearms?

Just regular CLP? RIG grease? Barricade? Break free collector?

1 Like

That stuff hadn’t yet been invented when my set asides were set aside. Just Hoppe’s gun oil and a thin accumulation of dust — condition unchanged at periodic inspection, so no worries. They’ll be fine with a cleaning if and when they come back into regular service.

1 Like

None. Unless I’m forgetting something… Every purchase is about an intended use, and verifying the suitability is the first step of intention following acquisition. Even a SHTF cache requires a shakedown cruise, and a serious contingency weapon require currency of readiness.

I have not purchased a firearm as an investment, nor simply for possession.

2 Likes

I have a numerous amount of guns I have not fired. At $5.00 a round I am not that excited to go out and just go plinking.

2 Likes

Well now you have to tell us what you shoot that’s $5 a round lol

338?

1 Like

300 Savage, is 3.00 a round. 7X57 is about the same. I have the ammo but I just don’t want to just go shoot it!

3 Likes

The conundrum…do you want to have your ammo, or shoot it? That’s a thinker

3 Likes

Is this one of those trick questions? Should the answer be “I lost all of mine in a boating accident”?

2 Likes

Tragic

1 Like

None, we take them all out and shoot them, some for sport, some for fun, some for selfdefense.

1 Like

OH, Wait, there is the Mod -06 22 rifle, I retired it last year, waiting for my grandson to get old enough and I’ll give it to him, just like my grandpa did, he’s about 3 Y.O. now so maybe 7-8 years…

2 Likes

I have significantly more once fired rifles than I do normally fired or never fired. As somebody mentioned the reason is MIL-SURP collection. For all my guns there is at least 100 rounds preferably 1000 rnds available minus whatever it took to zero it at a given distance then most get a “storage clean” and back in the vault they go. There are a few that are never fired and they are either full of cosmoline or have some other significant value that precludes shooting such as my H&R M1 Garand that came from the Secretary of the Navy cuz I shootted good at the Nationals :sunglasses: I ran the numbers on it and it is unissued and only test fired when it was born, the parkerizing is still frosty and the cardboard MRT tube in the barrel is dated 1956 and is one of the very last ones H&R made. Lots of reasons to have unfired guns.

Cheers,

Craig6

5 Likes

God Damn that is a hell of an M1. Not something anybody could have picked off a shelf at the CMP store I reckon

3 Likes