New firearm or more ammo. That is the question

Like many of us who appreciate our firearms lately I’ve been drawn toward a new Smith & Wesson m&p 2.0 all metal. Even the finish on this new all metal Smith & Wesson with a four and a quarter inch barrel is attractive to me. Being fully ambidextrous and me being a lefty is sexy.

All that being said I have to question myself and ask would I not be better served with just buying more ammo? Have a baker’s dozen handguns. 65 years of age it’s kind of like being offered sex or sleep. Sometimes sleep looks pretty appealing! Lol

6 Likes

Sell off a couple of the other guns and buy both.

9 Likes

I went with more ammo. :slightly_smiling_face:

9 Likes

How much ammo do you have?

I don’t want a numerical number of rounds answer, I want a “6 months of my normal shooting” or “1 year of my normal shooting” answer. No fellow firearms enthusiast wink wink here lol

Do you have family members, children, grandchildren, anyone else, you would like to supply with ammo at the range to shoot with you, or just share with them, etc? How are you set for that, if applicable?

I would use that thought process to make your decision.

With the number of handguns you have, as joseph indicated, I would consider selling one or two in order to fund the new one. There is no reason you have to keep every gun you have just because of “never sell” or anything silly like that, have the guns that suit your needs and desires best. That might sometimes mean trading up, or just trading across, etc

5 Likes

Well thought I’ll answer my friend as far as how much ammo I probably have 3 months on hand and if I got hard up I reload. Components for reloading are on hand so that’s not a question. It’s just with 9 mm it’s almost not worth the time and effort to reload.

1 Like

My immediate thought upon seeing 3 months is, ammo, without a doubt, and sell/trade guns if desired to get the gun but money out…ammo

5 Likes

I think you already have the answer. Are your “Bakers Dozen” all in one caliber? If not and $ is an issue, I would take a hard look at what I have and what I use, and then trim it down to your preferred caliber for SD and CC and maybe a couple of “fun” to shoot. Then sell off what is excess to your needs. Then buy whatever the new “hotness” is that you want and buy the ammo.

6 Likes

I reload all my ammo for all my weapons,and been doing it for years and just say i have thousands of rounds and all the cans have oxygen packs in them

5 Likes

Since I don’t hunt anymore I’m probably going to sell my vintage Browning sweet 16. Neither one of my two children hunt so it would probably get sold anyway.

2 Likes

My youngest already has dibs on mine, so even though I don’t hunt anymore, I am keeping it clean and oiled for him. Mine is vintage 1958 … so it will always be 2 years younger than me :smiley:

2 Likes

I believe when I trace the serial number this one’s 1957

3 Likes

Buy reloading gear and supplies for the next “firearmaggedon”.

3 Likes

My weapons are not built for hunting PerSa,unless for food,but they are for protection

1 Like

I’m fully stocked with brass primers and powder enough for about 3000 rounds of 9 mm and probably a thousand rounds of 45 ACP. I just haven’t started loading 9 mm even though I have all that’s necessary to do so. I think I’m set for about 2,000 rounds of 38 special. And about a thousand rounds of 357 Magnum.

Just been a bit lazy but that can change in a moment. Right now that $16 a box for federal 147 grain where I buy 9 mm online I am just not the most motivated. Lol I think today where I buy 9 mm it’s about $17 a box. Just a quick look.

What I don’t reload? 22LR of course and 380 ACP and 762x39. I shoot 380 just enough to remain proficient but it is my go-to pocket pistol when I do carry pocket. That’s very seldom.

1 Like

I just did my calculations and I’m at $10.57 per box reloading 9mm with jacketed hollow point. So loading 100 per hour on the progressive press really isn’t worth the time at a dollars per hour perspective. But I’ve got the tools and materials and press on. It’s still better than sitting around and getting lazy.

I could cut that cost in half by casting but the hi-tek coating getting applied twice is time consuming. The Lee liquid alox is tacky. The jacketed hollow points are pretty!

5 Likes

I picked up some powder coated 135 grain lead a while back at a local manufacturer here in baton rouge. I may load a few of them and see what they’re like at the range. I prefer a jacketed and I have those but these 135 men were very inexpensive at the time so I picked up 500 rounds.

1 Like

I edited the post above and added a link. The jhp are $0.111 each. Free shipping.

I saved the link thanks. I’d be loading a 147 grain flat nose just for range use. I prefer to buy my carry ammo

1 Like

Well I slept on it! Do I need that Smith & Wesson? Nope! For Grand I can buy a lot of manufactured ammo or reloading components to say the least. Hell I can’t shoot everything I got now often enough.

So, I’m going to sell my Browning sweet 16 vintage 1957, my XDS 9 mm that honestly has been replaced as my primary carry by my hellcat. The heritage 22 magnum Western revolver that I haven’t shot in years, and maybe sell my ria full size 45 ACP.

But I’ll keep by Kimber custom carry 45 ACP my ria 1911 9 mm with its 22 TCM conversion barrel and spring my sig 938 and 238, my hellcat of course. A Walther 22 long rifle pistol and a Beretta bobcat 22 long rifle. I’ll keep my Ruger GP100 357 Magnum and my 357 Magnum Western revolver peacemaker clone. I’ll keep my Ruger 10:22 my Henry lever gun in 357 Magnum, Mossberg security shotgun and my cmmg mutant in 762 by 39. I’ll keep my stoeger side by side coach gun 12 gauge.

4 Likes

The 147 flat nose are $0.109 each vs $0.111 for the jhp. I figured burning a penny for five rounds, I might as well enjoy the hollow points.

I buy carry ammunition and figure most people do, even people who reload. Not that I don’t trust what I assemble.

Not sure why rmr promotes the hollow point so much as a self defense bullet, unless they are hopeful a smaller ammunition manufacturer will use them for factory loads?

1 Like