Fall Cleaning Reminder

It’s getting to be that time of year again, kids are back in school, the weather is getting cooler, and pumpkin spice everything.

This is the perfect time to remind you to check on your less-used firearms and give them either a deep cleaning or a good wipe-down and oiling.

How often do you inspect the guns you don’t carry on a regular basis? How often do you clean them?

5 Likes

Every quarter.

4 Likes

Probably every quarter.

Stay safe out there.

4 Likes

Well thanks @Jerzees and @Frank73 now I feel like a slacker…

Unused firearms get a disassembly, inspection, and lube/oil every 6mo or so. To date, I’ve never found anything wrong during an inspection but it makes me feel better.

On infrequently used firearms I tend to use grease on contact surfaces moreso than oil so it stays put better. Oil tends to migrate downwards due to gravity and away from the contact surfaces.

4 Likes

I do a quarterly field strip, wipe down and oiling then they get stored again.

4 Likes

@Harvey … looks we are firearm freaks… :sunglasses:
I believe that well protected firearm may stay in great shape for 12 months or longer…

There are cases that people find handguns from IIWW in old homes, wrapped with oiled cloth and they are functioning without any issues. :neutral_face:

3 Likes

Every 6 months (unless I happen to carry at least once) I wipe down, inspect, lightly oil and restore in safe.

2 Likes

I have my grandfather’s Auto Ordinance 1911 that we found in a secret space he made in a wall in his closet. Found that, German Luger, Nazi flag, German money of the period, a Nazi pocket watch, a diary from a German soldier and various trinkets.

5 Likes

Guns not in use probably get a look every few decades, whether they need it or not — or if they’re being moved, or I just have an urge to fiddle with them. Clean prior to anticipated use or storage. I’m obsessive about other things. :innocent:

I suppose if I didn’t have alternatives I would give myself more lead time to resolve unpleasant discoveries, but so far things have always been ready to go. Guns I expect to be ready for immediate use are a different story.

4 Likes

My location has little to no humidity. My war toys are stored in a bank vault in my garage with a de-humidifier, and are kept lightly oiled. They get pulled out and inspected every 6-8 months, usually this time of year with a football game playing on the radio or garage TV. Yes, I’m decadent.

The carried arms get fired monthly and cleaned when I get home.

3 Likes