Cleaning Daily Carry Gun

How often should I clean my 40 Cal Smith and Wesson Automatic Gun? Just asking.

4 Likes

Welcome to the family brother and god bless you.

3 Likes

After every range trip when fired and if not being used every couple of months a wipe down and internal parts because they gather dust while in a safe.

2 Likes

Welcome @David394.

40 cal S&W can be cleaned the same way as other semi autos.
Check these threads:

6 Likes

Welcome to the community, the more the merrier, and the more we learn from each other!
Cleaning carry piece, I schedule mine on a monthly basis, (there’s an app for that, my alarm clock) unless it’s used at range. Once a month to remove any dust and sweat built up over time, including the holster! Oil and functional test are a must for concealed carry! Your life depends on functionality.

2 Likes

Don’t overlook the magazines when cleaning. Lint, dust, and dirt can get down in there. More than once, I’ve found a hollow point full of lint 3-4 rounds into the mag.

2 Likes

Just wanted to welcome you, @David394!

I think @Jerzy has provided you with enough information to justify cleaning intervals between daily and not at all. :laughing:

Personally, I clean my EDC whenever I use it at the range, which is normally every 2-3 weeks. Exception is if I get it wet or dirty while I’m carrying.

3 Likes

Some people are annal about cleaning even after firing a few rounds (less than 50) but I never have. The Ruger MK III I only cleaned after it quit running and I would put 550 rounds thru it every day 7 days a week. I have no idea how many 100,000 rounds have been put thru that one. The other’s may have got cleaned after a 1,000 rounds or so,or maybe a lot more. The first Smith and Wesson AR-15-22 when they came out had over 100,000 rounds put thru it in the first 6 or 8 months and this went on for another 3 or 4 years. When it quit running it would get cleaned at the range and start over again. So, really unless you just like cleaning gun’s it is not something that has to be done every time you shoot.

1 Like

@David394. Welcome to the community,train hard and be safe.from Michigan :smiley:

1 Like

Welcome to the community!

My preference is to clean my gun whenever my daughter has a boy over…so about twice a week…and I don’t often break eye contact when the boy arrives. MY PRESENCE WILL BE KNOWN!

Ok, jokes aside, this is really a personal question you’ll have to answer for yourself and here’s why. Some gun models are more “finicky” than others and may require zero dirt/dust/fuzz/etc on them to function properly. Others can be dropped in the mud, fired repeatedly, dropped in a sandbox, used to hammer nails, and still fires flawlessly every time.

A good article that covers this to some degree is this:

Things like salt deposits from sweat and general fuzz collection might work their way into the inner workings of your weapon and you’ll need to know how it will handle that and then you’ll have your answer on how often to clean it.

4 Likes

Thank you for your comment. It was very helpful.

2 Likes

Thank for the suggestion. I will make sure I do just that.

2 Likes

Thank you and my God Bless you and yours!

2 Likes

Erik10, Thank you for your guidance and sharing your experience. I greatly appreciate it. Dave

2 Likes

Welcome to the family.

I clean mine about everything 500 rounds or if I have not shot it in a while I wipe it down good. And yes I agree completely with always checking the mags also

3 Likes

You will find an endless variety in the responses. What does the manufacturer recommend?

3 Likes

I shoot every 4-6 weeks with my carry guns, and clean them within a few hours after shooting. I live in a semi-desert environment with dry air, so rust is not really a factor here. Dust and grit can be, though–so if I skip a shooting day or 2, I’ll pull down the sidearms and give things a wipe-down and brush-out 4X/year. Mags get cleaned 2X/year, and I haven’t gotten surprised by inordinate dust/grit/junk within them.

3 Likes

I clean my pistols after I come back from the range. If your EDC stays in an enclosed holster, it shouldn’t need cleaning until after you shoot it however, as a rule I will change mags & rack the slide, etc, to ensure there are no glaring issues & everything is right & tight every few month if I have not been to the range. Others will let their guns get pretty goobered up before cleaning. The dirtier it becomes, the more of a pain in the ass it is to clean. Personally I do NOT enjoy cleaning pistols but I do & I do it right. I have, on occasion, after buying a new pistol, have purposely fired a few thousand rounds without cleaning to see how the gun operates dirty. BTW, welcone & be safe, my friend. God Bless

3 Likes