Cleaning your weapon

How often should a gun owner clean his or her weapon, after going to a range?

5 Likes

Welcome to the comunity @dennis251 !

This has been discussed many times on this forum and you will get a lot of opinions.

The quick answer is as often as you need to to ensure your firearm will function flawlessly when you need it to. Which will depend on your firearm and your trust level in it.

7 Likes

What type of gun and how many rounds are you shooting?
Personally, I do a ballistol/boresnake/ q-tip cleaning to every gun every outing, even if just running one mag through it. Field strip every few hundred rounds.
Primarily running 7 Glocks, but also an M&P 45, Beretta M9, Springfield 1911, Ruger SR22 for pistols.

5 Likes

Thank you “Mattm”, Great information, I have a CANIK TP9SF Elite 9mm, I go to the range about 2 times a month and shoot about 100 rounds downrange at my target. I understand what I should do now, thank you.

5 Likes

There are a few different answers to this in my opinion. The biggest deciding factor for me is, am I carrying this gun or having it staged for home defense? If yes, I think it is important to at least give it a quick wipe down and oil the slide after going to the range. I don’t want my gun that I am expecting to function to save my life, to hang up because I didn’t clean it. I will also clean it monthly even if I wasn’t able to make it to the range since it can build up lint and dust while carrying daily.

If the gun is new and I’m not carrying it yet, or just another one in my safe, I do like to torture test it a bit and put a few hundred to a thousand rounds before cleaning to see if it does malfunction if it’s dirty.

4 Likes

When it stops firing properly. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

For carry firearm - always keep it clean. There is no need to brush the bore frequently, but simply CLP wipe down will keep the tool in great confition for a long time.

Other than that? Field strip and cleaning - every 500 rds or 1 month, detailed cleaning (especially firing pin / striker with channel) - 1500 rounds or 3 months.

But to be honest - you will need to find your own schedule, based on firearm, ammo and amount of rounds shot per month.

7 Likes

Answered it yourself! Clean weapons do not malfunction.

8 Likes

One round before it stops firing properly :call_me_hand:

5 Likes

When I was an iron worker I cleaned my tools every time I used them, nothing went in the box dirty. I wanted my tools to be ready to go the next time I reached for them. I found it was easier to clean them at the end of the shift instead of when I needed them for a task. I treat my firearms the same way.

9 Likes

Welcome to the family brother @Dennis251 , glad you could join us.

2 Likes

I am one which clean my weapons after the range and at least twice a month if just stored up. When I was in the service, we had weapons inspections before dinner while in the field so even though it has been 30+ years, I still find pleasure in cleaning my weapons.

8 Likes

I trade mine in for a new one after each range trip, just like getting a flat tire on a Mercedes :rofl:

9 Likes

Welcome to the family @dennis251 and God bless you.

3 Likes

After every range trip when fired and if not being used every couple of months a wipe down and internal parts because they gather dust while in a safe.

8 Likes

Same here @Johnnyq60

4 Likes

CCW after every range trip and a couple times a month if I haven’t shot it. Range guns usually every 500-600 rounds.

5 Likes

To add …
… and clean it as if your life depends upon it; clean is clean.

8 Likes

no, no… I just don’t like my holster to get dirty… :smirk:

… I’m kidding… you are definitely right.
That is the main reason to keep your handgun clean and in good condition.
:v:

4 Likes

I clean mine every time when I get home.

5 Likes