How many. Members.,keep.their. EDC. In. Their door. While. Driving. And. Why.is this a mistake?

What do you think could happen if you keep your edc. In the side pouch of your vehicle door ?? What is your thoughts on this . :question::us::100:

3 Likes

I think keeping a handgun unsecured anywhere in a motor vehicle is a big mistake. In the 1986 FBI shootout I believe two different FBI agents had issues locating their handguns because they had pulled them out to have them ready but then crashed into the suspects’ vehicle which sent their handguns flying.

I wouldn’t keep a handgun in a vehicle that was not in a holster securely attached to the vehicle or in a locked container so it could not move during a crash. I also personally prefer carrying the handgun on me so if I have to leave the vehicle quickly I don’t have to waste time retrieving the handgun and holstering it on my body.

10 Likes

I agree I also have hidden compartments that lock and they are hidden my vehicles I have had customized for just my firearms and ammunition no one can find them and I can get to them PDQ and they are safe from every one . And I keep two on my person and six magazines three for each edc. And I carry KABAR USMC fighting knives on each side of me all ways. I am me . I have a blade in my head band and a necklace knife . Brother I wear wristbands made out of the thickest leather you can get I made them twenty five years ago. And they will stop a machete . I have me . I said defend yourselfs . Agenst the enemy . I AM Bobby Jean . :feather::feather: I AM PREPARED FOR . :100:

3 Likes

If you do this correctly it might be the best place to keep your EDC, especially when you are lefty. :metal:

Just don’t place it there loose. Ether attach the holster to the plastic, or build the stable compartment (using foam) .

4 Likes

Long distance drive = Yes
Short distance/ driving in the city = No

6 Likes

i always keep it on you never know what could hapen.

6 Likes

I always keep it on me in case I need to exit the vehicle quickly. If I’m driving for any amount of time I try to wear OWB, and arrange my cover shirt so the grip of my pistol is exposed once I’m belted in.

7 Likes

I have a retaining holster under my steering wheel that I will put my EDC weapon in if travelling long distances or if I pull into an ATM at night, etc. We have no laws about how you can carry your weapon in your vehicle here in MS because they consider you vehicle an extension of your home.

6 Likes

Great question. Pros and Cons I guess. If left handed, since in USA the steering wheels are on the left side, I can see some advantage there, for lefties.

That door best be locked or else defeats the purpose.

But as most are right handed, I might prefer not to have to reach to the door, but prefer a shoulder holster or if allowed to, have the EDC somewhere more easily reachable on my right side. Citizen beware as your local laws might include how and where you can carry in your vehicle.

I regret that hip carrying, such as at 3-O-Clock or 4-O-Clock is too hard to reach in an uncomfortable in a car.

Ankle/boot holsters seem comfy but if one can practice without taking one’s eyes off the threat? Or shoulder holster? If possible, I too prefer “on person”, especially if one has to act quickly or if involved in a collision. Has a safety aspect, easier not to forget it. :blush:

2 Likes

Lefty here. My concern with keeping it in the door is during a carjacking things happen really fast. If the door is open, that’s several feet away from me.

7 Likes

That was what I was getting at the door opening and you just gave up your edc brother stay safe love Bobby Jean sir !!:us::us::us::feather::feather::tiger2::six::statue_of_liberty::parachute::toolbox::100::100::100::beer:a root beer :beer: for you brother love ya sir :100::bangbang:

4 Likes

What Jesse said :point_up_2:

2 Likes

HAPPY LORDS DAY BROTHER HE SAID A LOT EVERY SINGLE THING SIR BROTHER LOVE BOBBY JEAN :tiger2::feather::feather::six::statue_of_liberty::heart::white_heart::blue_heart::100::100::100::cherry_blossom::cherry_blossom::cherry_blossom::bangbang::toolbox::parachute::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:ALMEN answering questions

2 Likes

But why do you want to open the door without having the handgun already in your hand or holstered on your body?
Everything is about learning good habits. Having firearm in the car always brings concerns. Where to keep it, how to access it. There is really no ideal condition inside the car.
The deal is to find the spot that works fastest and is repeatable.

I’m thinking about the fast access storage presented by @OldDude49 on this thread:

I’m just thinking if this will be better for lefty driver?

3 Likes

I’m not advocating for keeping it in the door. I’m agreeing that it is a bad idea for local legal, access to it and safety reasons. Videos I’ve seen of carjackings happen very fast, often they jump you just as you are entering or exiting the vehicle. If they walk up on you, even if you have the door closed and locked, you’d be drawing against the drop. When I finally get my CCW, I plan to have it on my person.

4 Likes

All depend on your plan and training. Like I mentioned - never put away the firearm into the door pouch before you are sitting and doors are locked. Never open the door with firearm inside the door pouch. Following those rules will allow you to avoid surprises.

2 Likes

I’ve been keeping mine in my center console cup holder. because;
A: I’m right handed, and putting it in the door would be an awkward draw if I needed it quickly.
B: if the door gets ripped open in a carjacking scenario, now my gun is closer to the bad guy than myself! And that’s a no no!

However, as stated above, if I should have an accident it would go flying and be out of reach or possibly lost (ejected in a rollover)

In my 1993 4Runner I had a paddle holster clipped under the steering column. That doesn’t work in my Taco though.

I recently bought an enigma appendix holster,… however it just doesn’t work with my dad bod and my routine.

I’m working on figuring out a way to secure it between the center console and seat so my weapon will be accessible in an emergency, and secured in case of an accident.

3 Likes

Run them over, or open the door into them and run them over. Remember right means the right quarter panel is moving left in reverse. Think outside the box. A firearm is not our only self defense tool.

Edit: Not picking on you.

4 Likes

Ok, @BobbyJean on a roll with good questions today. I keep my EDC on a magnet meant to hold a shotgun when I am driving. I’ve been hit from behind several times now, and it has never knocked my firearm off of that magnet. A long time ago I took some Offensive and Defensive driving classes with a former U.S. Diplomatic Embassy driver and I utilize alot of those lessons to my car.

5 Likes

Way to go BobbyJean today! :smiley:

2 Likes