How do you ALWAYS remember to bring your firearm?

I intend to carry every time I leave the house. And I typically do.

Several times in the last year now, I’ve found myself in the car leaving the neighborhood cursing myself because I left it on the nightstand.

Almost universally, this is on some spontaneous excursion my husband wanted to go on. I was busy with/focused on work, and he decided on a whim we’re going somewhere for dinner and we’re going now. I got dressed in a hurry and forgot my gun at home!

Of course I keep a spare in a lockbox in the car, but I’d rather not depend on it you know. So.

How do you always remember to bring your firearm? What do you do to reduce the chances of being " caught lackin’ " so to speak?

12 Likes

It’s just habit, goes on in the morning and doesn’t come of till bed time, been doing it for so long.
Do you carry on body or off?

20 Likes

mental checklist

That I learned from the wife, strange because I use multiple checklists at work

1. Keys
  2. Wallet
  3. Cellphone
  4. Bang bang
    :roll_eyes:
13 Likes

Mine goes on my hip before I grab my truck keys.

7 Likes

It’s like putting on your socks or picking up the car keys, it’s so normal, I’m in fear I could walk into a forbidden area without ever knowing it’s still on my hip. I’m not bringing it anywhere, it’s a part of me, like my ears or thumbs.
It takes a conscious thought to know where I can and cannot go! Post office, DMV, court house or school grounds
How do you not bring your sidearm, when there’s a radical around every corner?

12 Likes

As @BRUCE26 wrote - it’s a habit. It’s impossible to forget EDC tools the same way as it’s impossible to forget the wallet.

8 Likes

I have my wallet and phone right by my gun! You cannot go anywhere without your keys, and you have your gun with your keys you kind of have to remember your gun. Unless you forget your keys but then you will grab your keys and your gun will be there too!

11 Likes

I’m like BeanCounter, get to the door and check
Keys
Wallet
Glasses
Kimberly (Kimber EVO SP)

5 Likes

I leave my iwb holster attached to my belt. That way in the morning I have to see it, and cuz it’s empty it’s a good reminder to get my EDC out of the safe.

12 Likes

Mike164

1h

I’m like BeanCounter, get to the door and check
Keys
Wallet
Glasses
Kimberly

Kinda like spectacles testicles wallet and watch

7 Likes

Carry all day. I don’t put it on because I’m leaving the house, I put it on because I’m putting my clothes on for the day when I get up. I’ve been carrying for about 30 minutes already right now, and I work from home

13 Likes

Easy I wear it all the time so never forgotten

10 Likes

I have one place for all my stuff:
Keys
Wallet on top of gun
Extra mags
Glasses
Hat

Basket next those with carry options. Don’t have kids or grandkids at home

8 Likes

Yes, agreed. I almost walked into a prohibited area recently, but at the last second remembered that I could not. I had to go back to the car, then decided to just leave. I don’t like leaving my firearm in the car. It is like carrying my knives, I never leave home without it (sorry Amex).

9 Likes

The only place i do not go is where you have to go through a metal detector,and if i do i dont go through any metal detector if I have to go to a place that has one,i request a wand because i have a Pace Maker with a defib,so I am wanded,and since I carry in a shoulder holster and it does not print i carry where ever I go the do not have detector with out a thought since i dont even think about my weapon,I am so used to carrying and as I said I dont print or adjust the weapon

7 Likes

I’m like BeanCounter, for me it’s part mental check list and pocket check’s. I’ve been doing it so long if I don’t have my stuff with me I feel as if something is missing. :sunglasses: :us: :us: :us:

:thinking:
Keys,
Billfold,
ID Wallet,
Cell Phone,
Readers :eyes:,
Pew Pew’s.

4 Likes

You get dressed when you get up? Maybe I’m spoiled being able to work from home, no kids… I’m buck ass naked until I need to take the dogs out. There’s a gun within reach most the time* so I haven’t worried about carrying one around.

So I ‘get dressed’ to ‘go out’, not just because I ‘woke up’. Sounds like I identified the problem and DAMN i’m not looking forward to changing that.

*The shower-gun is still on the to-do-someday list.

8 Likes

Yes, when I get up, I get dressed.

But then if you’re inside your own locked house and you are dressed such that there is no chance you will accidentally leave the house without realizing you didn’t get ready yet, what difference does it make? Put the gun on when you get dressed is the same principle regardless of when it is you get dressed, insofar as it prevents leaving the house unarmed by accident.

I also let the dog out as soon as I get up so for me that would be the same thing lol

7 Likes

Get one of those abdomen elastic holders, or do what Will Ferrell’s character did in “Get Hard”. LOL

I keep one in the undies drawer (can’t hardly miss that 9mm) one in the night stand (pity the fool who’d come sailing through my window) and the daily carry under my handbag…wither I goest, so goeth at least one of them. Used to keep the .357 between the seats of my truck but there’s to many whackos who now roam up and down my street, now it’s the night watchman.
'Keep it with your keys maybe under a ball cap…?

8 Likes