Get home pack of all things!

Okay it was my bad that I did not lock my car last night.
I had my full on get home bag in the back seat of my Jeep Cherokee. This morning, I go to head out to work, and I had stuff sitting on my driver’s seat and I did not leave it there. I looked in the back seat and my gun safe was sitting on the seat, not in the back where I keep it. Then I noticed my get home bag was gone! There was no gun in the safe by the way. In my bag was my triage kit, first aid kit, gloves, lighters, candle lantern, two knives, one was my K-bar and the other was a knife that I got given to me when I was in the Marine Corps during the Gulf War. These are just half of the stuff I had in the pack.
It is the latter that irritates me about this, those knives are not replaceable. Those were issued. The one thing I wanted to share about this is IF you have a gun in your car, DO NOT STORE IT IN YOUR VEHICLE!

Now the weird thing, $14.00 in the center console was untouched. My smokes were not touched. I have cameras set to cover the whole front of the house, but the camera did not catch anything on it?

What did I learn? I will be bringing it in and out with me when I go or get home. Most of all, lock my vehicle up when I get home.

14 Likes

My gun only stays in my vehicle while I’m at work (not allowed to carry on duty). I have a console vault, so it’s fairly secure.

The only time i left my doors unlocked, (before i started carrying) same thing happened,… someone rummaged through,… took off with a bunch of tools… left the cash in the center console! Wtf over?

4 Likes

@Todd30 I thought you lived up in the woods?

5 Likes

I have two cheapo portable gun safes to store guns and ammo separately in the rare occasion I can’t carry concealed but never overnight. Three hours at most like watching a concert.

One thing going for me is my gray man grandpa van.

7 Likes

I feel your pain Brother. :unamused:

7 Likes

Aww man I’m so sorry to hear about your troubles. Had the same thing happen about a year ago, luckily nothing important or valuable taken. We have 2 “Gun Safes” gotten from e-bay, and have them secured them to the spare tire so it would at least slow the perp. down if they did get to them

6 Likes

Do you have any pro gun decals on your vehicle! That will make you a prime target!! Because to them, there is a 99.9% chase there is a gun somewhere in that vehicle!!! I know I have been hit 3 times, no guns taken, 2 safes damaged and a passenger side window! I have an old beat up truck, doesn’t look like anything of value in it!! But, I do have The Decals on my back window and tail gate!!!

7 Likes

One of the first tips I heard upon getting my CHP was to NOT have them for that exact reason.

7 Likes

I’m so sorry Todd, ted and Will for your troubles
(and all Gunner’s who have been violated) by Thugs, Thieves and Sc**bags.)
When I first started posting here ‘Gray man/Decal less’ happened to be one of the first
Topics I read. (Thank God!) I didn’t have 'Kill 'em all, Let God sort 'em out"
But I had USCCA, NRA and some Pro Trump–anti-.gov stickers that weren’t very nice.
WE HAVE TO BE MORE CAREFUL Folks. In all aspects of our lives.
Skells, and the bad element are on the move.
Out here in cactus Junction they come from the South Valley to do damage
Hit and run. that is why they leave the cash, Smokes, whatever. But you still lose stuff and possibly
a $300 window.
It’s easy to say here just clean out your Garages and put the cars inside but I
did just that.
Both rides are in the Garage and my third is behind Armor steel gates under a car cover.
So even if they get by the Gates (or over) they need to take the time to unwrap her, find the (2)
Kill switches, Alarm --deal with my motion lights and phoo gas. punji pits and Claymore’s! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
I wrestle with what you guy’s talk about (storing bags, supplies, Gun boxes etc) because I have zip in my cars. If you can see in there is nothing extraneous in the cars. My AR Carbine in mounted in the tire well of (2) but she comes out all the time. It’s more a SHTF mount than a daily carry. I see my front lights come on a lot during the night. Drive by’s ‘could’ be something or they could be neighbors. The ‘Spots’ come blaring on and then I hear people take off. that’s generally enough. But there’s really nothing to see here folks move a long usually. THAT is security for me. No cars in the drive, nothing except my garden hose box out front.
THAT’S the way I like it.

Mi dos pesos.

6 Likes

I feel your pain had my Taurus g2c stolen last year and
My grandpa pistole model 27 he bought back from Germany in WW2 stolen years ago I’ll probably never get them back but I learned a lesson

6 Likes

@Todd30 Sorry for you being violated, but this is the kind of life style everyone of us HAVE TO COPE with no matter where we go, where we are, even when we’re nowhere :flushed: WHY?? BECAUSE SCUMBAGS ARE EVERYWHERE!!! Crime NEVER SLEEPS!! Punks rummage thru the neighborhoods, shopping mall parking lots, company parking lots at all hours, day and night, checking unlocked door handles on vehicles, or breaking a side window to gain access inside vehicles. It’s disgusting, but it is what it is. @$$Holes have nothing better to do.

6 Likes

I do not have anything on my vehicle at all. I do have a Quantico Acadamy baseball cap on the dash with my ducks.

5 Likes

Yes, “It’s better to have one and not need one, than to need it and not have one!” But, none of those hits were at home! College Football Game! Gun and Knife Show! In front of a Federal Court Building!

4 Likes

Sorry for your loss!
I’ve had the same issue. Never left my firearm in the car but my BOB yes. Not anymore. Was always religious about locking my doors until the one day my wife started using a cane. That day I went to open her door without locking the doors. That evening, a week after my security cameras were installed, my car was broken into! As far as cameras are concerned, I’ve placed mine on the lowest threshold of movement, so a moth at 15 yards sets them off!
Now I check, recheck and check again every time I pass the car doors! Everything they took from me can be replaced.
Now I practice crime “prevention”…

IMG_4691

If there’s anything specific about the knife you were issued, you’ll probably find it at your local pawnshop, eBay or Facebook.
Most scumbags are looking to score dope not family heirlooms.
Hope you find it!
My car is devoid of everything except a box of tissues! I don’t even keep the registration in the car!

If you happen to catch them call me, I have awesome digging skills.
Measure twice, dig once! If there’s one thing I learned, these a$$holes don’t advertise where they are going.
Once buried, they will never be found!
I can also save you 15% on your car insurance!

4 Likes

For those that have to park outside overnight, I highly recommend, if at all possible, situating a 24/7 camera where it sees the vehicle’s parking location and getting super OCD about making sure the vehicle is locked.

4 Likes

I am thinking of purchasing an RV in the near future to do some long-term travel. I have to consider non-lethal security that would cause the bad guys to think twice before they try anything. White, blinding light coupled with ear-splitting alarms, and strategically placed small webcams might be an option. Plus, frequent military RV parks (I am a retired vet) where there is (usually) better security.

4 Likes

John, I know nada about RV’s
I couldn’t tell you squat about securing one.
BUT, I do know the more you make it hard to get in anything, the
more deterrent you can bring to bear the less likely you will be hit.
That goes for Houses, cars Self defense for your person etc
Make it OBVIOUS!, a simple Padlock or device before they even attempt t
o break a window. John Walsh use to say stuff like the biggest defense, the loudest noises
will send these chicken sh**s running. They don’t want a hassle, they don’t want to
draw attention.
THE BIGGEST MISTAKE is anyone able to gain entrance into your Vehicle and BAM! there is your
‘Remote Garage opener’ inside and they can get IN YOUR HOUSE where your family and you are.
I take my remote inside if I am leaving my car outside for whatever reason.
Good Luck Brother finding the RV of your Dreams!
Then secure the Hell out of it (and yourself)

Mi dos pesos

4 Likes

Excellent advice and tips. Thanks!

2 Likes

I’m new to RVing myself, just bought a Toyota Dolphin motorhome. (Big early Toyota truck fan)

Something I saw on a forum for them was someone stole one by prying open the camper door to gain access to the drivers seat. (Don’t know if you’re thinking motorhome or tow behind)

My takeaway is, the campers are built lightweight with no real security in mind. It won’t take even a determined thief to get into one.

5 Likes

I full-time now. If a thief wants in they will get in just like a house.
My small safe is bolted to the flooring.

4 Likes