Leaving firearms in cars

On the tv news channel tonight one of our states counties Sheriff told of over 300 firearms stolen from unlocked & locked vehicles so far this year. Just in a 14 day period in September, 12 firearms we’re stolen from vehicles.
In my view this is telling me these persons who left firearms in their vehicles had very little training or none.
Or just chaulk it up to 0% commonsense.

8 Likes

Doesn’t help that some places you’re prohibited and is forced to lock it in your vehicle like work.

14 Likes

If I new I couldn’t carry at work I believe I would let my firearm home in a safe. Or possibly have a bolted under the seat safe in the vehicle.

6 Likes

Car safe is mandatory in CT for about a year now if you don’t have a locking console or glove box and need to leave your gun.

6 Likes

Same kind of thing going on here in SLC. I seldom leave mine in the Barbie Jeep. But when I do I have a safe in a safe place, a place where you are going to be a while before you find it and even longer getting in to it.

7 Likes

CCW sized safe under seat works for me in those times I have to be un-protected by the edicts of others; legal or otherwise.

7 Likes

Unless these cars were parked in remote areas, over night, most likely these firearms were simply not locked away. To lock your firearm up when you are not present isn’t a draconian law, it is common sense. Thieves are always looking for quick opportunities. A lockable safe that is tethered to the car seat post will cause enough of a barrier for a thief to move on to an easier target.

8 Likes

Very rarely do I go to places where I will need to leave my gun in the car.

11 Likes

Yep good point

5 Likes

A locked console or glove box or console will not defeat one of those little short flat pry bars. Stuff we do just slows things down a little. There are even those out there that know how to clone Key Fobs. I think keeping our firearms on us is the real fix. But they will not want to hear that

8 Likes

agree, but at least it gets the gun out of sight, and would add some time to a “smash and grab”.

6 Likes

Thats true

5 Likes

Agree that some of these thefts are due to people leaving unlocked guns in unlocked cars. But even guns locked in car safes can be grabbed with simple tools in a matter of minutes if not seconds. Though it is still worth locking things up to deter the unprepared thieves.

The real issue is all the State, Federal, and private requirements passed in the name of gun safety that force us to have to leave our firearms in the car in the first place. As with most gun safety laws they more often then not make everyone less safe.

10 Likes

I have a portable gun safe with cable under the seat in every car just in case I end up going somewhere I cant carry. I know it doesn’t guarantee it won’t be stolen, but it’ll prevent common smash and grab criminals from taking it.

6 Likes

Same here, like a two-minute drop-off at the post office.

6 Likes

It’s really hard to not leave it in the car sometimes. Between work (not even supposed to have it in my car), kids school, post-office, doctor / clinic; you don’t have a lot of choice. I have a safe under my seat with a security cable wrapped-around floor mounts. It should at least slow idiots down. I may decide to keep my truck longer and get one of those safe installed in the center console which should be more secure at least.

6 Likes

Like others I have a portable safe with cable. Won’t stop everyone but does stop the smash and grab crews.

6 Likes

I seldom leave a weapon in my vehicle, but if I must, due to doctor visit, school property , etc., I lock it in a console vault I installed in the center console. These are made for specific vehicle model and fit inside the center console.

5 Likes

One of the reasons I emigrated from CT was that you wimps wouldn’t fight for your CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS.

4 Likes

Appreciate you surrendering, coward.

2 Likes